New Inn listings for sale - small and huge

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not advertise that the children will dine with you at breakfast, I am cautious about advertising that children reside here. However, when someone makes a reservation I advise them that I have 3 young children who look forward to meeting you. In addition, there have been comments, mostly positive, on trip advisor about people enjoying the interaction with the children. In addtion, I recently had a guest who said she has stayed at several b&b's and never has she been asked what time she would like breakfast. I always ask my guests what time they would like breakfast because if they want a 7am breakfast, I have them fed before the children are up and about. If they want a 9 am breakfast, why should I wake at 6am. Occassionally I can tell immediately when someone would rather have privacy or not dine with the children and I close the dining room door and explain to the children "not today". This is my business and I believe I am quite in tune with the people I serve. If you don't want children around, you would like book another b&b in town or stay at the Marriott.

I do not advertise that the children will dine with you at breakfast, I am cautious about advertising that children reside here. However, when someone makes a reservation I advise them that I have 3 young children who look forward to meeting you. In addition, there have been comments, mostly positive, on trip advisor about people enjoying the interaction with the children. In addtion, I recently had a guest who said she has stayed at several b&b's and never has she been asked what time she would like breakfast. I always ask my guests what time they would like breakfast because if they want a 7am breakfast, I have them fed before the children are up and about. If they want a 9 am breakfast, why should I wake at 6am. Occassionally I can tell immediately when someone would rather have privacy or not dine with the children and I close the dining room door and explain to the children "not today". This is my business and I believe I am quite in tune with the people I serve. If you don't want children around, you would like book another b&b in town or stay at the Marriott..
domsmom said:
I do not advertise that the children will dine with you at breakfast, I am cautious about advertising that children reside here. However, when someone makes a reservation I advise them that I have 3 young children who look forward to meeting you. In addition, there have been comments, mostly positive, on trip advisor about people enjoying the interaction with the children. In addtion, I recently had a guest who said she has stayed at several b&b's and never has she been asked what time she would like breakfast. I always ask my guests what time they would like breakfast because if they want a 7am breakfast, I have them fed before the children are up and about. If they want a 9 am breakfast, why should I wake at 6am. Occassionally I can tell immediately when someone would rather have privacy or not dine with the children and I close the dining room door and explain to the children "not today". This is my business and I believe I am quite in tune with the people I serve. If you don't want children around, you would like book another b&b in town or stay at the Marriott.
Though I haven't seen your website, I assume that you naturally attract those guests who appreciate being around children, and that's why it works so well for you. We naturally attract the type of guest who will enjoy us the most. Inns who get nasty guests all the time, or lots of unhappy guests are not expressing themselves well on their websites, or are not running the type of Inn that they would be comfortable staying at themselves...IMHO

I agree... market yourself clearly, kids or no, and you'll have happy guests.
We have kids. So, kids are on the website. Kids do not eat with the guests, although they love to go out and talk to the guests while they're eating. I severely limit that... I figure the guests aren't here to see my kids. Once in a while we get a grandma type who adores them and then I allow them more time in the dining room. Most of the time, though, they go down to the family room and play Mario, and eat in the breakfast nook.
I know of an inn for sale here in Ohio... don't know if they're listed anywhere. And I know of another inn that's not for sale but probably will be eventually. If an aspiring is interested in my area (North Central Ohio) you could contact me for info.
=)
Kk.

Also know of a cute little place in Northern Michigan you could get for a song (and maybe a dance).
wink_smile.gif

It is one of those things we all have to read our guests well. Some complain if they don't have 100% innkeeper attention and song-and-dance-routine, others say the innkeepers seem to track their whereabouts all the time and are helo-hovering. This could well be ALL THE SAME DAY. Same innkeepers same day.
This weekend we had all variety of guests. We always have all variety of guests - even though this is the year I market to Gen X and Gen Y.
Let me give a refresher in case anyone has missed by complaing, ahem, sharing...
  • We had a business guest.
  • We had a miserable-rotten couple who we asked to leave who were here for a graduation.
  • We had a couple here for her 40th bday - he bought a dinner-cruise package (which includes flowers and sparkling cider) they also went to mountain wineries and did some hiking.
  • We have a couple here from Colorado three nights who are hiking their guts out every minute and taking advantage of every vista and lookout in these mountains.
  • We have a couple who just arrived driving from Lancaster PA enroute to Knoxville TN just here for a nice relaxing night off the road.
  • Oh and lest I forget we had the va-va-voom couple last night who basically needed to rent a room by the hour (mid 50's, dolly partonesque, affair). Didn't stay the night, just evening.
  • Midweek we had three old couples for three days here on a reunion from Annapolis, now living all over the USA
  • oh and one gate crasher guest who went where no man is allowed to go (our kitchen).
  • This was all in one week.
Do I look tired? Yeah probably. :) It's all part of the fun.

It is one of those things we all have to read our guests well. Some complain if they don't have 100% innkeeper attention and song-and-dance-routine, others say the innkeepers seem to track their whereabouts all the time and are helo-hovering. This could well be ALL THE SAME DAY. Same innkeepers same day.
This weekend we had all variety of guests. We always have all variety of guests - even though this is the year I market to Gen X and Gen Y.
Let me give a refresher in case anyone has missed by complaing, ahem, sharing...
  • We had a business guest.
  • We had a miserable-rotten couple who we asked to leave who were here for a graduation.
  • We had a couple here for her 40th bday - he bought a dinner-cruise package (which includes flowers and sparkling cider) they also went to mountain wineries and did some hiking.
  • We have a couple here from Colorado three nights who are hiking their guts out every minute and taking advantage of every vista and lookout in these mountains.
  • We have a couple who just arrived driving from Lancaster PA enroute to Knoxville TN just here for a nice relaxing night off the road.
  • Oh and lest I forget we had the va-va-voom couple last night who basically needed to rent a room by the hour (mid 50's, dolly partonesque, affair). Didn't stay the night, just evening.
  • Midweek we had three old couples for three days here on a reunion from Annapolis, now living all over the USA
  • oh and one gate crasher guest who went where no man is allowed to go (our kitchen).
  • This was all in one week.
Do I look tired? Yeah probably. :) It's all part of the fun..
Just another day in the life..........
confused_smile.gif

Back