New Innkeeper desperately needs advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nancy

Reaction score
Anyone out there awake at 12:35AM EST. I am an innkeeper in need of advice.

I'm up but not seasoned all that long myself. What's up? I'll be trying to sleep soon.

Thank you. I had a husband and wife check in today for a family wedding. They will be with me two night. It was immediately strange because the wife said the husband might be sleeping at his family's house since there was quite a bit of celebrating going on. I was not sure whether or not to expect him at all this evening. Apparently, this couple also has a child staying with family in town. There was no mention of this child when the room was booked. The room was clearly for the husband and wife. About an hour ago, the woman comes in for the evening with her 10-year old son instead of her husband. My B&B does not accommodate children. I am sitting up with my stomach in a knot because I do not know how to address this tomorrow. I have other guests checking in tomorrow who do not expect to share their vacation with a child. I feel like I am being taken advantage of but don't know how to handle it without insulting my guest. Any suggestions?

Thank you. I had a husband and wife check in today for a family wedding. They will be with me two night. It was immediately strange because the wife said the husband might be sleeping at his family's house since there was quite a bit of celebrating going on. I was not sure whether or not to expect him at all this evening. Apparently, this couple also has a child staying with family in town. There was no mention of this child when the room was booked. The room was clearly for the husband and wife. About an hour ago, the woman comes in for the evening with her 10-year old son instead of her husband. My B&B does not accommodate children. I am sitting up with my stomach in a knot because I do not know how to address this tomorrow. I have other guests checking in tomorrow who do not expect to share their vacation with a child. I feel like I am being taken advantage of but don't know how to handle it without insulting my guest. Any suggestions?.
That's a tough one. Something similar happened to me this week. Circumstances don't matter but the husband and wife had two children in tow. His company made the reservation not knowing they would be along. I immediately let my other guests know before they sat down for breakfast that there would be two children present even though my policy was no children. I apologized for that and set up the table for the family more in a corner where I was sure that no other guest was inconvenienced. Then,in a loutish voice when everyone was present, I 'aplolgized' to the family for the cramped table because I wasn't used to children staying with me.
Actually, the children were very well behaved and all the other guests were very gracious and said they didn't mind.
Now, they were only with me the one night. They basically just came in late, slept, ate and left. Hopefully your ten year old is well behaved and not running wild. Maybe ask the mother at breakfast if she plans on having the child stay the second night as you were not expecting him/her, you're not set up for children as your are an adults only getaway, etc.
hope this helps a little. As I said, a newbie myself and this is my only experience with a situation involving children.

Thank you. I had a husband and wife check in today for a family wedding. They will be with me two night. It was immediately strange because the wife said the husband might be sleeping at his family's house since there was quite a bit of celebrating going on. I was not sure whether or not to expect him at all this evening. Apparently, this couple also has a child staying with family in town. There was no mention of this child when the room was booked. The room was clearly for the husband and wife. About an hour ago, the woman comes in for the evening with her 10-year old son instead of her husband. My B&B does not accommodate children. I am sitting up with my stomach in a knot because I do not know how to address this tomorrow. I have other guests checking in tomorrow who do not expect to share their vacation with a child. I feel like I am being taken advantage of but don't know how to handle it without insulting my guest. Any suggestions?.
That's a tough one. Something similar happened to me this week. Circumstances don't matter but the husband and wife had two children in tow. His company made the reservation not knowing they would be along. I immediately let my other guests know before they sat down for breakfast that there would be two children present even though my policy was no children. I apologized for that and set up the table for the family more in a corner where I was sure that no other guest was inconvenienced. Then,in a loutish voice when everyone was present, I 'aplolgized' to the family for the cramped table because I wasn't used to children staying with me.
Actually, the children were very well behaved and all the other guests were very gracious and said they didn't mind.
Now, they were only with me the one night. They basically just came in late, slept, ate and left. Hopefully your ten year old is well behaved and not running wild. Maybe ask the mother at breakfast if she plans on having the child stay the second night as you were not expecting him/her, you're not set up for children as your are an adults only getaway, etc.
hope this helps a little. As I said, a newbie myself and this is my only experience with a situation involving children.
Thank you for staying awake a bit longer to respond. I think I will have to politely speak to her tomorrow at breakfast as you suggest. I only hope she is not offended. It is always awkward explaining to people that you cater to adults. I still have not found a comfortable way to express it. I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for staying awake a bit longer to respond. I think I will have to politely speak to her tomorrow at breakfast as you suggest. I only hope she is not offended. It is always awkward explaining to people that you cater to adults. I still have not found a comfortable way to express it. I appreciate your feedback.
I feel for you. If she's offended, then she's the type that really doesn't care for policies or other people's experience. She may have been put in a tough situation herself by her husband. Maybe he's the baddie and she's just as upset about it as you are.
Csnt do much about it now. Get done sleep, put on a smile tomorrow and fuss over your other guests at breakfast. They'll appreciate your efforts, I'm sure!

Every one will have a different say to this. Here is my two words . Sorry this is an adult B&B I am sorry but no children are allowed here. It said that on my web site. Please let him stay with his relatives. I understood this was to be just your husband here . You did not inform me other wise. This may be disruptive to the rest of my guests.
Iam sorry if this is an inconvenience for you but my other guests have booked here because this is an adult B&B.

Every one will have a different say to this. Here is my two words . Sorry this is an adult B&B I am sorry but no children are allowed here. It said that on my web site. Please let him stay with his relatives. I understood this was to be just your husband here . You did not inform me other wise. This may be disruptive to the rest of my guests.
Iam sorry if this is an inconvenience for you but my other guests have booked here because this is an adult B&B.
Thank you for your response at this late hour.

I feel for you. If she's offended, then she's the type that really doesn't care for policies or other people's experience. She may have been put in a tough situation herself by her husband. Maybe he's the baddie and she's just as upset about it as you are.
Csnt do much about it now. Get done sleep, put on a smile tomorrow and fuss over your other guests at breakfast. They'll appreciate your efforts, I'm sure!
This is the kind of stuff you have to learn the painful way... Heading to bed.

its a tough one as some B&B's are in areas where you cannot discriminate against children which puts you over a barrel somewhat - Im guessing you are not as you clearly advertise adults only.
I would try and put their breakfast table/ area away from the other guests and hopefully at 10 the child will be reasonably well behaved. - we do take children and have found they are better behaved than grownups!

I would let it go unless the child is disruptive in some way ... I'd address comments from other guests if they come up. He might hardly be noticed especially if they are going to be out all day to a wedding. One child of that age might just quietly get ready and go out ... not run around and be crazy.
I was not allowed to refuse children.
Please if you must speak to the parent don't do it front of the child - not his fault.

Good to read the comments from others today.
I'm such a pushover-- I could never tell a guest that they couldn't stay, even if it clearly stated that on my site. I find the OTA s are not too clear on your policy. Sometimes the guest is just is a hurry to make the reservation once their choice has been made that they don't read the fine print.

I am sorry you had to deal with this, but it isd experience #1 for you. There will be others (and that is one reason we are here - for suggestions) and even the "seasoned" innkeepers get thrown for a loop once in a while. At 10 they are less likely to be disruptive - an infant who will have a crying jag or a 2 or 3 year old exploring both the world and its limits could be a bigger problem.
Suggestion - in the future, do not just holler HELP! - tell us the problem up front for a faster suggestion for resolution. That way, your first reply will be helpful rather than a "what is the problem". And BTW - Welcome.

Hi Newbie Nancy!
Hope today arrived with a fresh new start and a clear mind to take control.
Some people are of the mindset that as long as the room rate is set for 2 people it does not matter the age of the 2nd. They book without looking at policies. Others book stating 2 adults but have kid in tow because kids aren't people.
I am well seasoned (16yrs+) and I still scratch my head at some issues. That is one great thing about this forum. Bouncing off our current situation with others. You will get many different points of view but that too will help you determine the best method for YOU to handle the issue. Sometimes we only think of our view and how it affects us, but it also affects the guest and sometimes your other guests as well.
I have had this issue at least twice. Once was an OTA (online travel agent) booking, they walked in with a baby. No we do not have cribs or anything for the baby. The room is for 2. He said he tried to add the baby but the site would not allow. (I believe now he understands why) It was late, they had been traveling all day, it was only 1 night. Sure I let them stay. The baby was a jewel, but it could have been a nightmare.
Second was 2 rooms - parents in one, adult child & hubby in the other. That was the reservation done on our site. Arrival, there were 5, adult child with a 5yo. No that room does not have a 2nd bed, but they knew that & brought a sleeping bag. I stated that this was not allowed. They were clearly angry. They stated my site said I allowed this. (no it clearly does not) It was not a pleasant experience at all.
I allowed them to stay on this very busy weekend as nothing else was available around the area. I did charge her for the 3rd person $15, which they were in shock I would do such a thing without having a bed for the child. Hummm, this person is going to use towels, water and EAT at breakfast.
These people came in knowing what they were doing. Had this been a hotel no one would have known. These people were clearly of that mind set and after seeing the set up knew they had been caught red handed.
Each experience and how we handle it (right or wrong) gives us the knowledge for how to handle the situation in the future. Of course the attitude of the other party plays into this equation as well.
Best wishes Newbie Nancy, this experience will make you a stronger innkeeper. Hope you stick around!

Nancy, Is your policy clearly stated on your website? xx age and up only?

Hi Newbie Nancy!
Some people are of the mindset that as long as the room rate is set for 2 people it does not matter the age of the 2nd. They book without looking at policies. Others book stating 2 adults but have kid in tow because kids aren't people.
I am well seasoned (16yrs+) and I still scratch my head at some issues. That is one great thing about this forum. Bouncing off our current situation with others. You will get many different points of view but that too will help you determine the best method for YOU to handle the issue. Sometimes we only think of our view and how it affects us, but it also affects the guest and sometimes your other guests as well.
I have had this issue at least twice. Once was an OTA (online travel agent) booking, they walked in with a baby. No we do not have cribs or anything for the baby. The room is for 2. He said he tried to add the baby but the site would not allow. (I believe now he understands why) It was late, they had been traveling all day, it was only 1 night. Sure I let them stay. The baby was a jewel, but it could have been a nightmare.
Second was 2 rooms - parents in one, adult child & hubby in the other. That was the reservation done on our site. Arrival, there were 5, adult child with a 5yo. No that room does not have a 2nd bed, but they knew that & brought a sleeping bag. I stated that this was not allowed. They were clearly angry. They stated my site said I allowed this. (no it clearly does not) It was not a pleasant experience at all.
I allowed them to stay on this very busy weekend as nothing else was available around the area. I did charge her for the 3rd person $15, which they were in shock I would do such a thing without having a bed for the child. Hummm, this person is going to use towels, water and EAT at breakfast.
These people came in knowing what they were doing. Had this been a hotel no one would have known. These people were clearly of that mind set and after seeing the set up knew they had been caught red handed.
Each experience and how we handle it (right or wrong) gives us the knowledge for how to handle the situation in the future. Of course the attitude of the other party plays into this equation as well.
Best wishes Newbie Nancy, this experience will make you a stronger innkeeper. Hope you stick around!.
Copperhead said:
Hi Newbie Nancy!
Best wishes Newbie Nancy, this experience will make you a stronger innkeeper. Hope you stick around!
Well said CH.

Nancy, Is your policy clearly stated on your website? xx age and up only?.
Hello seashanty. My policy is not clearly stated mainly because I could not find a tactful way to state it. I instead handle the issue when the reservation is made. I explain that I cater to couples and that I can only allow two guests per room. My B&B license actually prohibits me from having more than two guests per room so I am stating the facts on that point. With all of that, it makes it difficult for anyone to bring a child. When I have had to directly answer that question, however, I have stated that we have only two rooms which share a wall. We strive to convey a quiet, romantic experience for our guests and having children in the room would be difficult to manage. So far, no one has objected. In the case of my current guests, they made a reservation for man and wife. The child was never mentioned at all because their plan was to leave him with family a few blocks over. I really appreciate all the advice. This is tricky. I have spent four years restoring my 1870's home. Children cannot be expected to walk on eggshells and I feel having them as guests will likely end badly for me. BTW, when this child walked in with his mother, he was holding a skateboard.

Hi Newbie Nancy!
Best wishes Newbie Nancy, this experience will make you a stronger innkeeper. Hope you stick around!.
Copperhead said:
Hi Newbie Nancy!
Well said CH.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is invaluable to me at this early stage. I have been so lucky with all of my guests up to this point. They have been lovely and respectful. I hope these difficult situations are far and few between.

its a tough one as some B&B's are in areas where you cannot discriminate against children which puts you over a barrel somewhat - Im guessing you are not as you clearly advertise adults only.
I would try and put their breakfast table/ area away from the other guests and hopefully at 10 the child will be reasonably well behaved. - we do take children and have found they are better behaved than grownups!.
Thank you Joey Camb

Good to read the comments from others today.
I'm such a pushover-- I could never tell a guest that they couldn't stay, even if it clearly stated that on my site. I find the OTA s are not too clear on your policy. Sometimes the guest is just is a hurry to make the reservation once their choice has been made that they don't read the fine print..
Thank you again 2cat_lady.

Back