New Insurance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Our current insurance company will no longer be covering B&B's so I need to find a new one by the end of the month. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Yeah we are looking too. Farm Bureau informed us they will not cover us after 12 years of no claims. We don't carry any other policies with them, so they are dumping us. :-( Thankfully, we don't need business insurance any longer.

Good luck. Your wallet is going to need it!
James Wolf only does B & Bs and is the Cadillac - with the price to go with it.
I have Erie - no bells & whistles such as loss of revenue, employee theft coverage, etc. House, outbuilding, and contents with liability. All done.
I hear there is a company named Markle I think that many use. If in USA and on acreage perhaps Farm Family will do it.

Contact your state B&B association. I have been with Wolfe since day one. I was happy at first but no longer. I just have not found anyone else that will cover us without putting up my first born.
Good luck

This agent has been helpful. She's licensed in several states and may be able to steer you to someone if she can't personally help you. She does have the endorsement of our state B&B association
United Insurance Agencies
Karmen Ailes
220 S. Walnut Plaza
Muncie, IN 47305
800-899-000 ext 4904 (toll free)
765-287-2473 (Fax)
email: [email protected]
www.uiabnb.com

I switched from Utica to Westfield until i closed the inn, saved a bunch and one of the few that will insure for actual value rather than replacement value... No way would anyone have been able to recreate my pre 1900 home, well they could but i never would have so why pay all the extra

we are lucky used a local broker and saved $200 on last year - they were very professional and went through the last policy and picked out various areas we were over paying for ie $20,000 of computer equipment when we only probably have about $2000 stuff like that.

We're using Allstate. We have liability policy that covers our LLC, a basic homeowner's policy and an umbrella policy that covers the all the gray areas.
Not to hijack this thread, but while we are on the subject of insurance....
Just a note for those of you doing weddings or are thinking about doing weddings. Call your insurance agent and MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CURRENT POLICY COVERS THIS. The reason I say this is because ours didn't.
This may vary from policy to policy, state to state, country to country, but here's how it is in Texas with Allstate:
I got ordained online and we are doing an elopement package (so far we've done two with a third next week). I had to get a "clergy" rider to my policy and we are only allowed to have up to 10 people at a time for the ceremony. This clergy policy only covers me and my B&B. I am not covered for marriages outside of our premises. Visiting clergy require their own insurance or you have to pay extra for that.
I could never get a clear explanation of what our liability exposure was for weddings or how it differed from any other liability issue that might occur in a lodging establishment. Apparently, it is treated as a different business endeavor and therefore requires its own insurance.

PT, I wonder if the liability exposure comes from them lumping you in with clergy who give counseling and might get sued if a client commits suicide or something.
Other than that sort of thing, I can only guess that it's something like covering you if you mistakenly marry someone who's underage, doesn't have proper permissions from parents, etc.

Contact your state B&B association. I have been with Wolfe since day one. I was happy at first but no longer. I just have not found anyone else that will cover us without putting up my first born.
Good luck.
I left Wolfe because they wanted my first-born. They sent me a proposal again this year - trying to get me back - but it was still about $700 more than I pay Erie.
Understand, I am not recommending anyone do what I did with my insurance (I do not carry millions in liability) because I am in a different category than anyone else here. I have no future to protect - my future is what my Daddy called the "marble orchard" . Should something happen, one of my kids will buy a trailer for me to live in. I am not worried about leaving an estate.

PT, I wonder if the liability exposure comes from them lumping you in with clergy who give counseling and might get sued if a client commits suicide or something.
Other than that sort of thing, I can only guess that it's something like covering you if you mistakenly marry someone who's underage, doesn't have proper permissions from parents, etc..
Arkansawyer said:
Other than that sort of thing, I can only guess that it's something like covering you if you mistakenly marry someone who's underage, doesn't have proper permissions from parents, etc.
I'm not marrying anyone who does not produce a valid marriage license. All the proofs and consents are the burden of the county clerk issuing the license.
I think you are correct in your first assumption about being lumped in with clergy who council etc.

Ask your local commercial insurance broker to check out Maine Mutual. Or, I think you can go to their website http://www.mainemutual.com/
We've had 2 claims in 5 years. Yes, our premium has gone up, but not much. And their service is great.

Started with Wolfe -- good, but renewal rates went up way too much for no good reason. Now at Farmer which seems to be getting in to B&B, but we had major hassles on renewal, learning of all sorts of extra fees (30% increase) a few days after policy renewal was already due (!) Eventually worked it out. My advice: keep in touch with your agent during the year, learn of impending changes early, and make it clear that price is important. Shop every other year.

Back