New keypad lock

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I just posted a link to the place where I bought a keypad lock. It's all installed. It has been used by guests and, best of all, it works. We give the guests a personal code so there is no 'I forgot my keys' when they come and go. Relief. I was tired of hearing the doorbell ring at 6 AM because someone went out for a run and cutely fiddled with the lock on the door and found themselves locked out anyway because the old lock didn't have an 'unlocked' setting from the outside. (Always unlocked on the inside for egress.)
Lots of info on here about different locks and this one is quiet, has a backlight for nighttime and is easy to program.
So, guests checked out and before the cars were out of the driveway I had cleared their codes. No more coming back later and sneaking in to use 'their' bathroom before driving off.

so, if you have nine guest rooms ... can you give each guest a different front door code plus one for yourself? and then you change the code for that guest room only? overnighters vs long stays ...

so, if you have nine guest rooms ... can you give each guest a different front door code plus one for yourself? and then you change the code for that guest room only? overnighters vs long stays ....
seashanty said:
so, if you have nine guest rooms ... can you give each guest a different front door code plus one for yourself? and then you change the code for that guest room only? overnighters vs long stays ...
You can program in 19 separate codes. You can delete them separately or all at once. So, one room checks out, I delete that one code and replace it with a new code for the incoming guest. If everyone checks out on the same day, I can delete all of the codes at once and then add mine back in.
I'm thinking it might get a little crazy when it's busy but it beats (I hope) the code-forgetters ringing the bell and the code-rememberers from coming back the following week on their way thru town and using the bathroom. (Yes, it happened last summer.)
It took me 30 seconds to do the very first one. I will probably get faster...

so, if you have nine guest rooms ... can you give each guest a different front door code plus one for yourself? and then you change the code for that guest room only? overnighters vs long stays ....
seashanty said:
You can program in 19 separate codes. You can delete them separately or all at once. So, one room checks out, I delete that one code and replace it with a new code for the incoming guest. If everyone checks out on the same day, I can delete all of the codes at once and then add mine back in.
I'm thinking it might get a little crazy when it's busy but it beats (I hope) the code-forgetters ringing the bell and the code-rememberers from coming back the following week on their way thru town and using the bathroom. (Yes, it happened last summer.)
Alibi Ike said:
seashanty said:
I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE WAGERS on how long before you don't give guests individual codes catered to them for them to remember... ANY TAKERS?

I have one that we bought from ResortLocks. I can program 200 or so codes. I keep a list of 40 and disable them when the guest leaves and then delete and add back in as needed. I can also have it spit out a 10 digit code that is temporary, but mine is an older model and can only handle one temporary at a time. I think the new ones can handle multiple temporary codes. That way they can set their own and it expires on it's own.

I can't remember my room number 2 days after I have checked out of a hotel .. I don't think people think about what codes "could be"
I have had coded locks for 6 years, front and back door and all guest rooms, I recently took them off the guest rooms because basically my actual doors and frames are so old (my house is 110) that they weren't engaging properly (or ask my interim about the time she almost had to climb out the transom window from her room ..(
Please share what lock make you have and where you got it?

I can't remember my room number 2 days after I have checked out of a hotel .. I don't think people think about what codes "could be"
I have had coded locks for 6 years, front and back door and all guest rooms, I recently took them off the guest rooms because basically my actual doors and frames are so old (my house is 110) that they weren't engaging properly (or ask my interim about the time she almost had to climb out the transom window from her room ..(
Please share what lock make you have and where you got it?.
This is the one I use, without the "upgrades" http://www.resortlock.com/Locks/ResortLock-RL2000.asp
They were very nice about getting me parts to retrofit, since my door is extremely thick. I also bought a few ibuttons. I have the first 8 codes programmed for us and for friends in case of emergency. And then there is a key as well. But the guests get codes... usually either their phone number of zip code. I tend to code them a few at a time and delete them about 30 at a time. Takes a bit of time, but it works. And I put a sticker on the handle to remind them that it's number+#. I think the new models work differently. I can also therefore give the number to someone who is going to arrive late. Or if I have to go out, I can write a note saying to use their phone number, 5 _ _ _ _ _ 2 # and so far that's worked well as well.

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
seashanty said:
I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE WAGERS on how long before you don't give guests individual codes catered to them for them to remember... ANY TAKERS?
JB - I will NOT take that bet. I'm with you, that would get to be old to have individual codes for all the rooms all the time. I guess if you had a master list where you could rotate them or something that it wouldn't be as bad.
We had one code for all the guests but we did change it often. And we have a master code.

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
seashanty said:
I won't take the bet. We do codes, but individual codes is too much. We do change codes fairly frequently.

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
seashanty said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh ye of little faith.
wink_smile.gif

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
seashanty said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh ye of little faith.
wink_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh ye of little faith.
wink_smile.gif
Oh ye of little time

Please share what lock make you have and where you got it?.
This is the one I use, without the "upgrades" http://www.resortlock.com/Locks/ResortLock-RL2000.asp
They were very nice about getting me parts to retrofit, since my door is extremely thick. I also bought a few ibuttons. I have the first 8 codes programmed for us and for friends in case of emergency. And then there is a key as well. But the guests get codes... usually either their phone number of zip code. I tend to code them a few at a time and delete them about 30 at a time. Takes a bit of time, but it works. And I put a sticker on the handle to remind them that it's number+#. I think the new models work differently. I can also therefore give the number to someone who is going to arrive late. Or if I have to go out, I can write a note saying to use their phone number, 5 _ _ _ _ _ 2 # and so far that's worked well as well.
On the old lock it was the '#' they kept forgetting (if they remembered the code). They would stand there and input the code over and over until the alarm went off and then insist they were doing it exactly the way they were told. Sorry, the thing was so noisy I could hear every button push and knew they weren't hitting # at the end.

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
seashanty said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh ye of little faith.
wink_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh ye of little faith.
wink_smile.gif
Oh ye of little time
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh ye of little faith.
wink_smile.gif
Oh ye of little time
Like everything I am doing this year, yup, this will take more of my time. Processing credit cards in advance, programming the door, unprogramming the door. I know, because I say it all the time, 'Build a better mousetrap and you only build a smarter (dumber) mouse.' I had to give something a try, they were making me crazy.

Here is my question - people have many phone numbers, which one are you putting in? Would it end up being a hassle every time someone forgets which one it is to go and look and remind them?

Here is my question - people have many phone numbers, which one are you putting in? Would it end up being a hassle every time someone forgets which one it is to go and look and remind them?.
Big sticker that says CODE+# on the lock.
It depends.....
US customers: Zip Code as first choice, then address number, then mobile phone and then home/business phone. I want at least 4 digits and no more than 8. And we make them try it, to see that they can do it.
Canadian customers: address number, mobile and then home/business phone.
Others: address number, mobile phone (sometimes I have to look up to see what part is the city code) and if all else fails, the last 4 digits of the phone number.
Every once in a while I have to use the emergency code that I have programmed into the door. I used to use 867-5309 but apparently not that many people remember Jenny's number anymore. (G-d, I'm dating myself, aren't I?)
There have been a few times where we have had to ask them to give us four digits to program for us. And we had one customer who had trouble... we programmed a single digit for him for a few days. But who's going to guess that you have a single digit code... really?

Here is my question - people have many phone numbers, which one are you putting in? Would it end up being a hassle every time someone forgets which one it is to go and look and remind them?.
It depends.....
US customers: Zip Code as first choice, then address number, then mobile phone and then home/business phone. I want at least 4 digits and no more than 8. And we make them try it, to see that they can do it.
Others: address number, mobile phone (sometimes I have to look up to see what part is the city code) and if all else fails, the last 4 digits of the phone number.
Every once in a while I have to use the emergency code that I have programmed into the door. I used to use 867-5309 but apparently not that many people remember Jenny's number anymore. (G-d, I'm dating myself, aren't I?)
There have been a few times where we have had to ask them to give us four digits to program for us. And we had one customer who had trouble... we programmed a single digit for him for a few days. But who's going to guess that you have a single digit code... really?
GBManor said:
Cute. I had to say it out loud and now it is stuck in my head. Arrrgh!

It depends.....
Rikki don't lose that number! Sorry, couldn't resist....

It depends.....
white pine said:
send it off in a letter to yourself...

Disclaimer: We only have four rooms.
I change the code every time, every room. It takes about 10 seconds to add a code. I could probably delete them all at once, but it also takes about 10 seconds to remove one.
The problem we've had hasn't been the codes (no one forgets...so far). It's been the twits who don't listen when you tell them how to work the lock (which is a no-brainer, they should even need an explaination). Those people are beyond my capacity to help. Fortunately, they are few and far between.

Back