New Marketing Ideas for 2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about just freshening up the old directory stuff.

We just finished our Business Road Map and here are our buzzwords and projects.
Buzz
Cultural Niche Travelers, Finding Niche Markets, Destination Management, Incentive Travel, Guide / Blog / Information, Social travel Networks, Local Dis and Green Dat
Projects
Blog
Video for you tube and our three-inn packages
Final version of audio CD that our guests use to go down to the southern tip of the Hawaii Island chain.
Bring the WEB Site into focus
Capital Improvement concepts
Developing a small raised bed garden

I know many of you are going to gasp at this being new marketing for me but it is....the state association! Yes, I have never been a member for many reasons but most of those reasons seem to have been changed and it is time for me to give them a try.
Besides that, I joined bedandbreakfast.com in October, not that it was new to me as I had been with them in the earlier part of 2000 (with not much success).
So basically, I am stickimg dollars in markets I previously wrote off. As has been stated, it is not the time to pull back on marketing.

This may seem simple or obvious, but sometimes we forget.
Do a google search using the most popular key words that travelers to your area are searching with. Look at the organic listings and if you are not listed in all the directories on that first page, that's the place to start. Join every one you can afford. You'll be surprised how many local/regional listings there will be. Some are expensive, but if you're listed on a couple big directories and they are not on that first page and you think you're not getting bookings from them, then consider dropping out of those and joining the ones on the first page.

This may seem simple or obvious, but sometimes we forget.
Do a google search using the most popular key words that travelers to your area are searching with. Look at the organic listings and if you are not listed in all the directories on that first page, that's the place to start. Join every one you can afford. You'll be surprised how many local/regional listings there will be. Some are expensive, but if you're listed on a couple big directories and they are not on that first page and you think you're not getting bookings from them, then consider dropping out of those and joining the ones on the first page..
Great advice- We try to review this regularly and that helps us make sure we are an option for people searching- what else- hawaii bed and breakfasts or bed and breakfast in hawaii

When I prev used google ads I found it very helpful to put in a search term and they would come back with how many times that term or word is searched for in google. I had a couple terms I thought for sure everyone would use and they came back as not good terms. When you ran the reports you saw which terms came back in the most searches. At times some of the words I thougth were great like 'lodging' came back not very popular.
Does anyone know if you can access this without being enrolled in ads? Is there a website you can direct us to?

Buzz
Cultural Niche Travelers, Finding Niche Markets, Destination Management, Incentive Travel, Guide / Blog / Information, Social travel Networks, Local Dis and Green Dat
Projects
Blog
Final version of audio CD that our guests use to go down to the southern tip of the Hawaii Island chain.
Developing a small raised bed garden.
knkbnb said:
Buzz
Projects
Blog
When I first read this, I thought of an actual 'map' with 'roads' on it! Now, reading it again, I'm thinking 'business plan'.
Can you explain what was involved in doing the road map?

When I prev used google ads I found it very helpful to put in a search term and they would come back with how many times that term or word is searched for in google. I had a couple terms I thought for sure everyone would use and they came back as not good terms. When you ran the reports you saw which terms came back in the most searches. At times some of the words I thougth were great like 'lodging' came back not very popular.
Does anyone know if you can access this without being enrolled in ads? Is there a website you can direct us to?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Does anyone know if you can access this without being enrolled in ads? Is there a website you can direct us to?
You can still use the Google ads page. Pretend you are going to buy an ad and use the form.

I actualll have NO IDEA how to do this unless you know the family as the phone book would be too large - or you had an insider in the local paper --- In your local paper in the ANNOUCNEMENTS section - send a GC for a discount stay or something clever to the ENGAGEMENTS found there. You could always place a small ad near that section as well.

Buzz
Projects
Blog
knkbnb said:
Buzz
Projects
Blog
When I first read this, I thought of an actual 'map' with 'roads' on it! Now, reading it again, I'm thinking 'business plan'.
Each year we make a oval or circle on a piece of paper. That's us
Then we review all the things from the last time. We add new partners and projects all around us. We use various shapes to help us see people vs. projects vs. categories.
This year was kind of exciting because we have actual business departments on our map- marketing, development, maintenance, accounting, and operations. That's a big change from last years circles and sticks.
Those diamondy things touch our oval and then there are a lot of partners and projects and smaller categories outside of that.
When all the dust has settled, we draw up a list of focus areas and projects that we think are important for the year. Last year, a lot of stuff got done and some got carried over.
It really helps us get our eye back on the goal after a busy spell.

Buzz
Projects
Blog
knkbnb said:
Buzz
Projects
Blog
Each year we make a oval or circle on a piece of paper. That's us
Then we review all the things from the last time. We add new partners and projects all around us. We use various shapes to help us see people vs. projects vs. categories.
This year was kind of exciting because we have actual business departments on our map- marketing, development, maintenance, accounting, and operations. That's a big change from last years circles and sticks.
Those diamondy things touch our oval and then there are a lot of partners and projects and smaller categories outside of that.
When all the dust has settled, we draw up a list of focus areas and projects that we think are important for the year. Last year, a lot of stuff got done and some got carried over.
It really helps us get our eye back on the goal after a busy spell.
Thanks, I'll need to look at doing something like this. I need a 'plan' so I don't go off willy nilly.

Holy cow! I had a friend in VT whose biz got profiled in this mag and her biz went thru the roof overnight. I think advertising is probably cost-prohibitive, but if you can get mentioned in ANY article that is written, even if not your own article, it would be great.

You KNOW pitch and have plenty of pitch - back it up with an offer of 2 nights lodging so they can see the REGION. First night to get there and get info about what they want to see and second night to put it together, CHAT with the HOST, and see a bit more of the region on way out. This also gives you a chance to serve TWO of your wonderful breakfasts. What do you have to lose? 2 nights revenue? What to you have to potentially gain? Life is a crap shoot and if you don't bet you stand still.

You KNOW pitch and have plenty of pitch - back it up with an offer of 2 nights lodging so they can see the REGION. First night to get there and get info about what they want to see and second night to put it together, CHAT with the HOST, and see a bit more of the region on way out. This also gives you a chance to serve TWO of your wonderful breakfasts. What do you have to lose? 2 nights revenue? What to you have to potentially gain? Life is a crap shoot and if you don't bet you stand still..
gillumhouse said:
You KNOW pitch and have plenty of pitch - back it up with an offer of 2 nights lodging so they can see the REGION. First night to get there and get info about what they want to see and second night to put it together, CHAT with the HOST, and see a bit more of the region on way out. This also gives you a chance to serve TWO of your wonderful breakfasts. What do you have to lose? 2 nights revenue? What to you have to potentially gain? Life is a crap shoot and if you don't bet you stand still.
The pitch has been made. I either have ADD or am too dang impulsive. I sent a copy also to the person who is IN THE KNOW from the ground up with this group coming to our area.
So the area will without a doubt get an excellent well photographed layout. Then there is this little B&B. They will have comped stays here while they explore the area. I emailed it between dragging a kid to the orthodontist and buying GC's from a restaurant for our V-Day guests.
I may not be able to afford to even go in with the county on the advert, but I can comp their stay and hope for the best!

deleted post - sorry for the inconvenience.
I will insert the name of the mag since I deleted it all too late - it is the US Airways inflight magazine and gets read by 7 million people per year. It is a whole spread on our region - not this county specifically - but hey if we can impress them with all our RICH RESOURCES - then yeah! We also have an insider for this project.

Buzz
Projects
Blog
knkbnb said:
Buzz
Projects
Blog
What are social travel networks?
Sharon

I will definitely be using blogging, from now on. I started two blogs two months ago and already they have begun to generate some interest from readers. I was told by several seasoned bloggers that it takes a year or so to get your blog "out There" on the internet and start receiving a decent amount of interest and comments. I have also joined several social media sites (e. g. Facebook and Twitter) to see how a social media approach to marketing will work for me.

Does anyone know if you can access this without being enrolled in ads? Is there a website you can direct us to?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You can still use the Google ads page. Pretend you are going to buy an ad and use the form.
I think you are talking about the following tool, for anyone who hasn't seen it:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think you are talking about the following tool, for anyone who hasn't seen it:
innshopper said:
If you click QUOTE when yo hit reply then we know who you are talking to or about. As threads age and people reply and bring them back to life we don't know who you are speaking to.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Back