New Marketing Ideas for 2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely be using blogging, from now on. I started two blogs two months ago and already they have begun to generate some interest from readers. I was told by several seasoned bloggers that it takes a year or so to get your blog "out There" on the internet and start receiving a decent amount of interest and comments. I have also joined several social media sites (e. g. Facebook and Twitter) to see how a social media approach to marketing will work for me..
I'm new to the concept of blogging for B&Bs. Who is your audience, past guests or new customers? What do you write about and when do you find the time?

I will definitely be using blogging, from now on. I started two blogs two months ago and already they have begun to generate some interest from readers. I was told by several seasoned bloggers that it takes a year or so to get your blog "out There" on the internet and start receiving a decent amount of interest and comments. I have also joined several social media sites (e. g. Facebook and Twitter) to see how a social media approach to marketing will work for me..
I'm new to the concept of blogging for B&Bs. Who is your audience, past guests or new customers? What do you write about and when do you find the time?
You might find this article I wrote about B&B Blogs helpful.

SweetiePie said:
I like to think of my target audience as the person looking to come here for the first time. They're wondering what there is to do in the area, trying to get a feeling for what the area is like, etc.
Finding time is the tough one, there's always plenty to write about! What you can do, should you want to blog, is doing the writing when you have time. Then post the articles you write once/week. So, when you have a slow time (which you might not), you write a hundred word blog on something to do in the area. You can write them for the different seasons, or different events that come to town.
I have past guests who like to see what's happening here when they are not, so I throw in things we're doing that might interest them...places we've been, new restaurants, projects we've done around the house, things like that.
The 'future guests' are the ones reading the events calendar, things to do, recipes, etc.
You can set up a time budget...allot yourself 20 minutes/week to write about something happening in town or at your inn. Try to not make it sound like an ad for your inn, but DO link back to your site from the blog. Give yourself a single question to answer: What is there to do in this town?
If you think about having only 52 blog posts/year, it's not too bad! (Keep in mind that some people blog about every little thing they do and may have 52 blog posts in a week...but that's what Twitter is for now.)

I write about anything and everything related in someway to my bed and breakfast on my InnNotes blog: www.innnotes.blogspot.com It could be the cookbook I just finshed working on for the Bed and breakfast Assoc. of Ky, it could be non-gluten food, for my Celiac repeat guests, it could be the horrible ice storm we had a few weeks ago that knocked out power for a week in the neighborhood, or the KY Derby, or the Victorian Teas we do, or the many interesting guests I have...... anything that happens in or around my Inn.
I am a writer, so the time spent on writing tight, interesting posts is valuable time for me. I probably write at least 3-4 hours a day, unless we are very busy. But I do write every day. I also do what Bree said she did; that is, write several posts ahead of time and save then as drafts, so I can publish on a regular basis. I like to post every 2-3 days, if possible. I have two blogs, so have a double dose to take care of. Plus I write for "I Love Inns" & take on other writing projects. My second blog is www.innbusiness.blogspot.com This one takes more time and thought, because it's business oriented. I do quite a lot of reading & research, and incorporating info from others into the post. Also I like to add pictures, videos, and links.
If you think you'ld like to try it, reading other successful blogger's posts will give you an idea what good content is and isn't. As far as it helping to market your Inn, social media is here to stay and a ton of people are using it successfully to market their businesses. I've only been blogging two months, and already I am generating interest in my blog, my website and my Inn from it. You can read about social media on the internet. Google it! Read the experts. There are lots of them on Twitter.

PS forgot to add a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in this industry. You can show in one photo what endless pages cannot tell - as they will be skimmed. I try to add photos to the blog - just like I do to the website.

Hey, someone else who writes about tractor pulls! Right on!
cheers.gif

The thing with blogging for our B&B, is that our audience is so varied that there might be something totally interesting to someone that you would have never dreamed would be of interest!
Recently having the couple from the UK who absolutely had to try our creamery ice cream from a blog article I wrote, even though it is wintertime and not ice cream time. That made my whole MONTH! I cannot tell you how fabulous that was to know someone actually utilized my blog! I want it to be a travel tool for guests - a trip planner - even if it is helps them decide between one date and the next to book their stay.
The blog is an extension of my website. The place I put all the "Stuff" that doesn't fit on the website, misc events, features of oddities. In fact there is a teensy weensy post office, I need to photograph and throw on the blog. I am not kidding when I say teensy, it is nearly the size of one of the old drive thru Kodak Fotomats from years gone by.

cheers.gif

The thing with blogging for our B&B, is that our audience is so varied that there might be something totally interesting to someone that you would have never dreamed would be of interest!
Recently having the couple from the UK who absolutely had to try our creamery ice cream from a blog article I wrote, even though it is wintertime and not ice cream time. That made my whole MONTH! I cannot tell you how fabulous that was to know someone actually utilized my blog! I want it to be a travel tool for guests - a trip planner - even if it is helps them decide between one date and the next to book their stay.
The blog is an extension of my website. The place I put all the "Stuff" that doesn't fit on the website, misc events, features of oddities. In fact there is a teensy weensy post office, I need to photograph and throw on the blog. I am not kidding when I say teensy, it is nearly the size of one of the old drive thru Kodak Fotomats from years gone by..
I LOVE your blog! I wish I had the time to keep mine up like you do. Frankly, I don't know how you do it.....
I don't like reading rambling posts on blogs. Give me the info & photos are fantastic!

When I prev used google ads I found it very helpful to put in a search term and they would come back with how many times that term or word is searched for in google. I had a couple terms I thought for sure everyone would use and they came back as not good terms. When you ran the reports you saw which terms came back in the most searches. At times some of the words I thougth were great like 'lodging' came back not very popular.
Does anyone know if you can access this without being enrolled in ads? Is there a website you can direct us to?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
When I prev used google ads I found it very helpful to put in a search term and they would come back with how many times that term or word is searched for in google. I had a couple terms I thought for sure everyone would use and they came back as not good terms. When you ran the reports you saw which terms came back in the most searches. At times some of the words I thougth were great like 'lodging' came back not very popular.
Does anyone know if you can access this without being enrolled in ads? Is there a website you can direct us to?
You can still use the Google ads page. Pretend you are going to buy an ad and use the form.
I think you are talking about the following tool, for anyone who hasn't seen it:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
innshopper said:
I think you are talking about the following tool, for anyone who hasn't seen it:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
Thanks for the tip. It helped as I am just getting the website up and running
Bill

PS forgot to add a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in this industry. You can show in one photo what endless pages cannot tell - as they will be skimmed. Make them large enough to be viewable.

Thanks for the article and links to blogs. They look very impressive; just don't think I have time for one now.

I write about anything and everything related in someway to my bed and breakfast on my InnNotes blog: www.innnotes.blogspot.com It could be the cookbook I just finshed working on for the Bed and breakfast Assoc. of Ky, it could be non-gluten food, for my Celiac repeat guests, it could be the horrible ice storm we had a few weeks ago that knocked out power for a week in the neighborhood, or the KY Derby, or the Victorian Teas we do, or the many interesting guests I have...... anything that happens in or around my Inn.
I am a writer, so the time spent on writing tight, interesting posts is valuable time for me. I probably write at least 3-4 hours a day, unless we are very busy. But I do write every day. I also do what Bree said she did; that is, write several posts ahead of time and save then as drafts, so I can publish on a regular basis. I like to post every 2-3 days, if possible. I have two blogs, so have a double dose to take care of. Plus I write for "I Love Inns" & take on other writing projects. My second blog is www.innbusiness.blogspot.com This one takes more time and thought, because it's business oriented. I do quite a lot of reading & research, and incorporating info from others into the post. Also I like to add pictures, videos, and links.
If you think you'ld like to try it, reading other successful blogger's posts will give you an idea what good content is and isn't. As far as it helping to market your Inn, social media is here to stay and a ton of people are using it successfully to market their businesses. I've only been blogging two months, and already I am generating interest in my blog, my website and my Inn from it. You can read about social media on the internet. Google it! Read the experts. There are lots of them on Twitter.
I'm anxious to hear how your teahouse works out. Will you be doing both the bed and breakfast and the teahouse?
I hope it is very successful for you.

I'm curious how you schedule your teas around the B&B. I have a tea room and have had problems in that area. Seems everyone wants to come on Saturday, which is also a big day for the B&B. When I started I hoped to fill up some of the weekdays which were slower, but it hasn't worked out that way.
I was getting small groups who wanted to come on a particular day to celebrate something. That wasn't working out for me so I went to one tea once a month celebrating a holiday. However, that has been problematic because now the local tea rooms have begun doing the same thing on the same day, diluting the business.
I've found it's just easier making a large amount of food for one big group than doing small ones and having leftovers all the time. I can also bring in help for those occasions.
I did one for a bus tour which worked out well but haven't had any more since. I'm not sure how to market to them.

I'm curious how you schedule your teas around the B&B. I have a tea room and have had problems in that area. Seems everyone wants to come on Saturday, which is also a big day for the B&B. When I started I hoped to fill up some of the weekdays which were slower, but it hasn't worked out that way.
I was getting small groups who wanted to come on a particular day to celebrate something. That wasn't working out for me so I went to one tea once a month celebrating a holiday. However, that has been problematic because now the local tea rooms have begun doing the same thing on the same day, diluting the business.
I've found it's just easier making a large amount of food for one big group than doing small ones and having leftovers all the time. I can also bring in help for those occasions.
I did one for a bus tour which worked out well but haven't had any more since. I'm not sure how to market to them.
We don't do teas here, but I know another inn that does. She does the teas every other weekend and all during the week. How she does it is that you must make a reservation, no walk-ins and she only prepares enough food for the reservations (so no leftovers). If you cancel the day of, you have to pay because she has already made the food. She does book groups, ladies teas, bridal and baby showers and 'ladies who lunch'.
Almost all of her biz is local, not many tourists come for the tea, except people staying with her. She has gotten a lot of publicity which is how she keeps them coming in. If you have a local food editor or local magazine, invite them over for tea and show the place off.
The other innkeeper has only scheduled hours. She does 12-3 PM and she only books as many as she has seating for so she does not turn the tables during the tea. (So, she has 10 tables and she doesn't book more in than those 10 tables will hold, so basically you get your table and you can stay the whole 3 hours and chat if you want.)
The tea is more lucrative that the inn!
She has a housekeeper who handles the rooms while she does the tea. And she does a big once a week baking for the bread items which she freezes.

SweetiePie said:
Your audience is whoever you decide it to be. Repeat customers, of course are good, cause you can contact them about your new blog. New customers, I'm sure would be more that welcome. You can write about anything!. I noticed JunieBJones joked about my writing about Tractor Pulls. But I get tons of business for the Farm Machinery Show and they all love Tractor Oulls. Got a few followers from that post!. I write about Art, Food, Tea, recipes, ice storms, how-to....etc, etc. Just keep it interesting. Humor is good! I MAKE the time. I love to write. I write every day.

SweetiePie said:
Your audience is whoever you decide it to be. Repeat customers, of course are good, cause you can contact them about your new blog. New customers, I'm sure would be more that welcome. You can write about anything!. I noticed JunieBJones joked about my writing about Tractor Pulls. But I get tons of business for the Farm Machinery Show and they all love Tractor Oulls. Got a few followers from that post!. I write about Art, Food, Tea, recipes, ice storms, how-to....etc, etc. Just keep it interesting. Humor is good! I MAKE the time. I love to write. I write every day.
nanhinchliff said:
SweetiePie said:
I was not joking about tractor pulls.

SweetiePie said:
We only do a Tea when we get a call for one. Then, we schedule it at a time that is convenient for both the customer and ourselves. Many times a group will come here from a small nearby town and stay all night, so we can combine our teaparties with the B&B business. We customize all our Teas and work with customers on food selection, that way we make only enough for the group and do not have a lot of left overs. I don't have a Tea Room. I use my dining room and parlor. And, since this is a historic Victorian bed and breakfast, built in 1882, all of my dishes, crystal & silverware & linens are in keeping with that period; as well as the house decor. The parlor and dining room arefilled with prints of 19th century Impressionists.

cheers.gif

The blog is an extension of my website. The place I put all the "Stuff" that doesn't fit on the website, misc events, features of oddities. In fact there is a teensy weensy post office, I need to photograph and throw on the blog. I am not kidding when I say teensy, it is nearly the size of one of the old drive thru Kodak Fotomats from years gone by..
I LOVE your blog! I wish I had the time to keep mine up like you do. Frankly, I don't know how you do it.....
I don't like reading rambling posts on blogs. Give me the info & photos are fantastic!
Samster said:
What is the URL for this blog? I'd love to see it too. I reada lot of blogs. It's a good idea, especially for those who are just beginning to blog. You can learn a lot, especially from the good ones

PS forgot to add a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in this industry. You can show in one photo what endless pages cannot tell - as they will be skimmed. I try to add photos to the blog - just like I do to the website..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
PS forgot to add a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in this industry. You can show in one photo what endless pages cannot tell - as they will be skimmed. I try to add photos to the blog - just like I do to the website.
I totally agree! I try to use pictures with every post, if possible. And videos and links, of course

We don't do teas here, but I know another inn that does. She does the teas every other weekend and all during the week. How she does it is that you must make a reservation, no walk-ins and she only prepares enough food for the reservations (so no leftovers). If you cancel the day of, you have to pay because she has already made the food. She does book groups, ladies teas, bridal and baby showers and 'ladies who lunch'.
Almost all of her biz is local, not many tourists come for the tea, except people staying with her. She has gotten a lot of publicity which is how she keeps them coming in. If you have a local food editor or local magazine, invite them over for tea and show the place off.
The other innkeeper has only scheduled hours. She does 12-3 PM and she only books as many as she has seating for so she does not turn the tables during the tea. (So, she has 10 tables and she doesn't book more in than those 10 tables will hold, so basically you get your table and you can stay the whole 3 hours and chat if you want.)
She has a housekeeper who handles the rooms while she does the tea. And she does a big once a week baking for the bread items which she freezes.
Bree said:
This is exactly what we do
Also, I hire Culinary Arts students from a local university and a lot of them like to do this sort of thing. They are very at home in the kitchen and love to try new things, like creating the kind of food required in Victorian Tea service. They also help with the housekeeping.

Bree said:
Also, I hire Culinary Arts students from a local university and a lot of them like to do this sort of thing. They are very at home in the kitchen and love to try new things, like creating the kind of food required in Victorian Tea service. They also help with the housekeeping.
nanhinchliff said:
Bree said:
I have no idea what the proper tea service looks like, but I do like getting a call that there are leftovers because of a cancellation! Yum-o!

Back