New Marketing Ideas for 2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely be using blogging, from now on. I started two blogs two months ago and already they have begun to generate some interest from readers. I was told by several seasoned bloggers that it takes a year or so to get your blog "out There" on the internet and start receiving a decent amount of interest and comments. I have also joined several social media sites (e. g. Facebook and Twitter) to see how a social media approach to marketing will work for me..
I'm new to the concept of blogging for B&Bs. Who is your audience, past guests or new customers? What do you write about and when do you find the time?
I write about anything and everything related in someway to my bed and breakfast on my InnNotes blog: www.innnotes.blogspot.com It could be the cookbook I just finshed working on for the Bed and breakfast Assoc. of Ky, it could be non-gluten food, for my Celiac repeat guests, it could be the horrible ice storm we had a few weeks ago that knocked out power for a week in the neighborhood, or the KY Derby, or the Victorian Teas we do, or the many interesting guests I have...... anything that happens in or around my Inn.
I am a writer, so the time spent on writing tight, interesting posts is valuable time for me. I probably write at least 3-4 hours a day, unless we are very busy. But I do write every day. I also do what Bree said she did; that is, write several posts ahead of time and save then as drafts, so I can publish on a regular basis. I like to post every 2-3 days, if possible. I have two blogs, so have a double dose to take care of. Plus I write for "I Love Inns" & take on other writing projects. My second blog is www.innbusiness.blogspot.com This one takes more time and thought, because it's business oriented. I do quite a lot of reading & research, and incorporating info from others into the post. Also I like to add pictures, videos, and links.
If you think you'ld like to try it, reading other successful blogger's posts will give you an idea what good content is and isn't. As far as it helping to market your Inn, social media is here to stay and a ton of people are using it successfully to market their businesses. I've only been blogging two months, and already I am generating interest in my blog, my website and my Inn from it. You can read about social media on the internet. Google it! Read the experts. There are lots of them on Twitter.
I'm curious how you schedule your teas around the B&B. I have a tea room and have had problems in that area. Seems everyone wants to come on Saturday, which is also a big day for the B&B. When I started I hoped to fill up some of the weekdays which were slower, but it hasn't worked out that way.
I was getting small groups who wanted to come on a particular day to celebrate something. That wasn't working out for me so I went to one tea once a month celebrating a holiday. However, that has been problematic because now the local tea rooms have begun doing the same thing on the same day, diluting the business.
I've found it's just easier making a large amount of food for one big group than doing small ones and having leftovers all the time. I can also bring in help for those occasions.
I did one for a bus tour which worked out well but haven't had any more since. I'm not sure how to market to them.
We don't do teas here, but I know another inn that does. She does the teas every other weekend and all during the week. How she does it is that you must make a reservation, no walk-ins and she only prepares enough food for the reservations (so no leftovers). If you cancel the day of, you have to pay because she has already made the food. She does book groups, ladies teas, bridal and baby showers and 'ladies who lunch'.
Almost all of her biz is local, not many tourists come for the tea, except people staying with her. She has gotten a lot of publicity which is how she keeps them coming in. If you have a local food editor or local magazine, invite them over for tea and show the place off.
The other innkeeper has only scheduled hours. She does 12-3 PM and she only books as many as she has seating for so she does not turn the tables during the tea. (So, she has 10 tables and she doesn't book more in than those 10 tables will hold, so basically you get your table and you can stay the whole 3 hours and chat if you want.)
The tea is more lucrative that the inn!
She has a housekeeper who handles the rooms while she does the tea. And she does a big once a week baking for the bread items which she freezes.
Bree said:
We don't do teas here, but I know another inn that does. She does the teas every other weekend and all during the week. How she does it is that you must make a reservation, no walk-ins and she only prepares enough food for the reservations (so no leftovers). If you cancel the day of, you have to pay because she has already made the food. She does book groups, ladies teas, bridal and baby showers and 'ladies who lunch'.
This is exactly what we do
Also, I hire Culinary Arts students from a local university and a lot of them like to do this sort of thing. They are very at home in the kitchen and love to try new things, like creating the kind of food required in Victorian Tea service. They also help with the housekeeping.
Now there's a plan. I like the idea of using Culinary Arts students. I'll have to check to see if we have any at our local university.

Hey, someone else who writes about tractor pulls! Right on!
cheers.gif

The thing with blogging for our B&B, is that our audience is so varied that there might be something totally interesting to someone that you would have never dreamed would be of interest!
Recently having the couple from the UK who absolutely had to try our creamery ice cream from a blog article I wrote, even though it is wintertime and not ice cream time. That made my whole MONTH! I cannot tell you how fabulous that was to know someone actually utilized my blog! I want it to be a travel tool for guests - a trip planner - even if it is helps them decide between one date and the next to book their stay.
The blog is an extension of my website. The place I put all the "Stuff" that doesn't fit on the website, misc events, features of oddities. In fact there is a teensy weensy post office, I need to photograph and throw on the blog. I am not kidding when I say teensy, it is nearly the size of one of the old drive thru Kodak Fotomats from years gone by..
I LOVE your blog! I wish I had the time to keep mine up like you do. Frankly, I don't know how you do it.....
I don't like reading rambling posts on blogs. Give me the info & photos are fantastic!
Samster said:
I LOVE your blog! I wish I had the time to keep mine up like you do. Frankly, I don't know how you do it.....
I don't like reading rambling posts on blogs. Give me the info & photos are fantastic!
What is the URL for this blog? I'd love to see it too. I reada lot of blogs. It's a good idea, especially for those who are just beginning to blog. You can learn a lot, especially from the good ones
JBJ will have to give that to you if she chooses as she prefers to remain kind of under cover (as many of us do) here on the forum
wink_smile.gif

2011 wedding dresses is different from other designer evening dresses because you may use it only once within your lifetime. Some people like to pass their princess wedding ball gown to their next generation.Therefore,how to wash a designer dresses appropriately to ensure that you can store it nicely and pass it on will be critical. Many people select to dry-clean it, but we really should know that empire waist deep v-neck wedding dress are produced of particular materials that are not suitable for dry clean. First, you need to check up the halter dress 2011 cautiously to see if you will find any stains. Eliminate the decorative parts with the wedding gown lace like ribbons, belts and bows. Then look at the label of one's maternity bridal gowns to see the materials. Different supplies have different clean approaches. 2011 wedding gowns in mermaid which created of polyester fabrics might be washed in water but silk fabrics call for expert cleaner as silk damages effortlessly. Prepare a washtub with warm water and enough foamy soap. Soak the train and hemline into the washtub for no less than 30 minutes. Then wipe or scrub the stains off by making use of a sponge and mild detergent. Some supplies for example lace are delicate and ought to not scrub, so you'd better gently wipe the strains off together with your fingertips. Bodice may be the upper portion of the plus size party dresses where you can find underarm stains and dirt marks. When washing the bodice, turn it inside out. Right after washing all parts with the bridal gown separately, immerse the disney princess wedding gowns into the water. Swill down the gown in clean water until the soap bubbles rinsed out. You might need to repeat this process for numerous times. In the event you are positive the gown has been cleaned thoroughly, take it out with the washtub cautiously. Don't attempt to twist, wring or squeeze it since that may destroy the shape of your off the shoulder wedding gown. Use many drying racks and keep your dress flat on them and let it dry inside the air. Be sure the dress is spread out so it'll maintain its form.

Back