New Member Saying Hello

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anniesguesthouse

Reaction score
I just signed up to the forum today gillumhouse made me do it!

I am in my tenth year of owning and running a six bedroom bed and breakfast in the UK. I'm close to Newcastle upon Tyne (you might have heard of the brown ale?).

Welcome Annie!
Any friend of Gillum's is a friend of ours. 10 years is a big high five from me!
You are brave to share your website, and ohhhhh how I want to grab some beautiful photos and slap em up there on your header area where everyone can see them and book their room to stay with you.
As one of your countrymen Jim Connolly from Jim's Marketing Blog shares "You pick your clients. Not the other way around!" I bet if you had some neat photos on their you would sell to some great guests.
Jump on in, the water's fine

Welcome! The more opinion here the better :) seems we are always running short.

Welcome Annie!
Any friend of Gillum's is a friend of ours. 10 years is a big high five from me!
You are brave to share your website, and ohhhhh how I want to grab some beautiful photos and slap em up there on your header area where everyone can see them and book their room to stay with you.
As one of your countrymen Jim Connolly from Jim's Marketing Blog shares "You pick your clients. Not the other way around!" I bet if you had some neat photos on their you would sell to some great guests.
Jump on in, the water's fine.
Joey Bloggs said:
Welcome Annie!
Jump on in, the water's fine
Thanks for the replies everyone. At present the website is having a responsive design overhaul. Sneak peak here: https://www.anniesguesthouse.co.uk/2/index.shtml

We had a professional photographer visit last month so it's starting to come together.

I must admit I think UK B&B's are on the whole very different from what is on offer in North America. Eg here a bed and breakfast (often called a guest house) is around the same price per night as a mid-range chain hotel. Focusing on cleanliness and value for money as an alternative to the facelessness that comes with staying in a chain hotel. From talking with Kathleen a North American offering would much more luxurious, offering bespoke breakfasts and a real pampering treat to stay in vs more of a functional stay which is what a bed and breakfast offering entails in the UK.
Our UK equivalent in price and service would be called a boutique bed and breakfast but of course this comes with a significant price difference, easily double a normal UK bed and breakfast rate per night.

Also we don't call each other inn keepers, here an "inn" would be accommodation offered by a public house/pub. Just a hint if you're ever looking to book a UK bed and breakfast - an inn here would be a fairly noisy, cheap establishment above a pub. For what you all seem to offer a boutique bed and breakfast would be the closest match to an American B&B.

:welcome:
Yes, very familiar with your brown ale! Glad Gillum twisted your arm to join. She's good at that. Looking forward to the exchange of ideas and experiences.

Oh please tell me that you don't have a Geordie accent... we'll have to have everything on here subtitled :)

Oh please tell me that you don't have a Geordie accent... we'll have to have everything on here subtitled :).
Jon Sable said:
Oh please tell me that you don't have a Geordie accent... we'll have to have everything on here subtitled :)
Haha! I was born and bred here so yes, I have a raging Geordie accent haha!
tounge_smile.gif

Glad you made it in the pool. Told you the water is fine.

Oh please tell me that you don't have a Geordie accent... we'll have to have everything on here subtitled :).
Jon Sable said:
tounge_smile.gif

So, which one is you? :)
SU-24-Geordie3-Rex.jpg

Argh! I think I'll go back to the UK accommodation forum now!
cry_smile.gif

The one with the bright red hair's parents own the restaurant at the bottom of our street so I guess I'll go with that one! What a horrendous troupe the Geordie Shore lot are!

Jon Sable said:
tounge_smile.gif

SU-24-Geordie3-Rex.jpg

cry_smile.gif

The one with the bright red hair's parents own the restaurant at the bottom of our street so I guess I'll go with that one! What a horrendous troupe the Geordie Shore lot are!
I could have posted Bobby Norris in his bathing suit for you :) but that's Essex. You know I'm only teasing. I don't expect every Geordie to be so classy :)
But to be honest, I think you, me and one other member might know they are. The rest didn't even know what a Geordie was until they googled it.

Jon Sable said:
tounge_smile.gif

SU-24-Geordie3-Rex.jpg

cry_smile.gif

I could have posted Bobby Norris in his bathing suit for you :) but that's Essex. You know I'm only teasing. I don't expect every Geordie to be so classy :)
But to be honest, I think you, me and one other member might know they are. The rest didn't even know what a Geordie was until they googled it.
Jon Sable said:
The really scary thing is that the show generates tourists! *shudder*

PS The only way is up for your choice of television viewing. ;)

Jon Sable said:
tounge_smile.gif

SU-24-Geordie3-Rex.jpg

cry_smile.gif

Jon Sable said:
The really scary thing is that the show generates tourists! *shudder*

PS The only way is up for your choice of television viewing. ;)
I'm an Alex Polizzi and Mary Portas kind of TV guy, with a little Graham Norton and a lot of Brendan O'Carroll kind of guy.

Back