New on this forum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillaBandB

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm planing to open a B&B, I was thinking to build a house but I just fund a house with a good deal and a good location, so before making a offer, I wanna get all the information possible. So I was looking for info in the net, and this is how I end up here. If you have any recommandation for a book or a site, please let me know. Meanwhile I will navigate on this forum which I'm sure is full of info.
I dont want a big B&B (2 or 3 bedrooms). But I just felt in love with that house, so I may happen faster then expected :)

Welcome! Read everything here:) We've shared lots with potential innkeepers already. First thing..check your local zoning. Don't buy anything before you do that. And, get it in writing.
Take an aspiring innkeeper course first. State B & B associations usually offer them or search around your area for one

Hello Im not from the USA but I know 2 important things ZONING! AND PERMITS!!!!! GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!
Also if you email me I'll send you some info and links. my email is on my profile.

Ditto what Catlady said. GET IT IN WRITING. Take an aspiring innkeepig course. Do not buy anything until you've done those two things.

Ditto what Catlady said. GET IT IN WRITING. Take an aspiring innkeepig course. Do not buy anything until you've done those two things..
Don't buy any property till then! feel free to buy Books and bed linen! lol There was a thread on here about 2 days ago about a chap bought a beautiful place had verbal agreements that it was all find and got seriously screwed over and now has a crippling disease caused by stress. Don't trust anyone who says "I'm sure it will be fine" your answer should be will you write that down and sign it!

Welcome! The advice on here is worth its weight in gold..
welcome.gif
and READ! good luck

Everything everyone said-and if its a small B & B onlhy 2-3 rooms make sure its not what will make your living-and check and double check zonning and county ordinances and health laws.
Other than that-WELCOME to the best place to learn the best things about B & B's and more.

Hi and thank you for all you comments,
Yes I will look for the zoning, as far as the licence, that will not be a problem. I have a job (work for myself) and I dont intend to quit :)
Unfortunately where I live, there is no course available (I live on a small Island), but there is a book that I had fund, and I will look into it.
I fell in love with the house, but I'm not gonna rush too fast neither, I gonna do a maximum of research and I will certainely spend time on this site.
But If I may...
What bed size do you usually take? How much linen (per room) do you use? per exemple.... 3 set of sheets per year? I wanna make it very confort and very Pottery Barn. :)

Yes I will look for the zoning, as far as the licence, that will not be a problem. I have a job (work for myself) and I dont intend to quit :)
Unfortunately where I live, there is no course available (I live on a small Island), but there is a book that I had fund, and I will look into it.
I fell in love with the house, but I'm not gonna rush too fast neither, I gonna do a maximum of research and I will certainely spend time on this site.
But If I may...
What bed size do you usually take? How much linen (per room) do you use? per exemple.... 3 set of sheets per year? I wanna make it very confort and very Pottery Barn. :).
Do a SEARCH. We have discussed this many times. Nothing less than Queen size I believe is consensus. King is great if you have the room though. At least 3 sets. Extra blankets, comforters, etc etc.

But If I may...
What bed size do you usually take? How much linen (per room) do you use? per exemple.... 3 set of sheets per year? I wanna make it very confort and very Pottery Barn. :).
Buy quality sheets at the outset and you won't have to replace them for years (3-5, possibly more). To keep you from going crazy with the laundry, buy 3 sets per bed. That gives you one on the bed, one in the wash and one in the cupboard. If you have 3 queen beds then you could get away with having 8 sets, not 9. But you always need to have spares. If you find something you really like, get more than you need because when you need them again you won't be able to find them. Get lots of extra pillowcases!
Can we guess? Small, partly French-speaking island in the Caribbean?

But If I may...
Buy quality sheets at the outset and you won't have to replace them for years (3-5, possibly more). To keep you from going crazy with the laundry, buy 3 sets per bed. That gives you one on the bed, one in the wash and one in the cupboard. If you have 3 queen beds then you could get away with having 8 sets, not 9. But you always need to have spares. If you find something you really like, get more than you need because when you need them again you won't be able to find them. Get lots of extra pillowcases!
This is all high-quality advice. Where were you, Alibi, when I was starting out??
regular_smile.gif

May I add---when you find a comforter you love, you must buy AT LEAST TWO SETS, comforter and shams...because the folks who spill stuff on the comforter NEVER check out early and it's only on the day that you have an early check-in. And by the way---don't buy ANYTHING that has to be dry cleaned. Around here, if it doesn't go in the regular wash, forget it.

But If I may...
This is all high-quality advice. Where were you, Alibi, when I was starting out??
regular_smile.gif

May I add---when you find a comforter you love, you must buy AT LEAST TWO SETS, comforter and shams...because the folks who spill stuff on the comforter NEVER check out early and it's only on the day that you have an early check-in. And by the way---don't buy ANYTHING that has to be dry cleaned. Around here, if it doesn't go in the regular wash, forget it.
Because all of our rooms are different, I have one backup set that is plain and goes with any room.

But If I may...
regular_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
regular_smile.gif

YES! And also because when you need to buy a new one to replace of course it will be sold out/discontinued!

But If I may...
regular_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
regular_smile.gif

YES! And also because when you need to buy a new one to replace of course it will be sold out/discontinued!
I'm at that point now. I need to start replacing some sheets that are just getting old and JCP no longer carries that pattern. Overstock doesn't have it, either. Haven't seen it at Home Goods or Marshalls or any of the overstock places so I guess I'm outta luck.
I tried Laura Ashley for replacements but the shrinkage is awful (the queen pillowcases now barely cover a standard pillow) and the edges of the sheets scrunch right up so they don't even tuck in. Besides which, ironing 10 sets of sheets every day is not in my job description.
I love all white sheets but it must be something in the water here that makes them dingy in no time. So, I'm on the lookout for patterned beige/linen color sheets.
Got a great set of tone on tone blue sheets for the king bed the other day. Yippee! And it came with extra pillowcases. That was to replace a set of white sheets I thought were destroyed. Eventually, after repeated treatments I got the stains out of those, but I couldn't chance not having another backup set.

But If I may...
regular_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
regular_smile.gif

I'm at that point now. I need to start replacing some sheets that are just getting old and JCP no longer carries that pattern. Overstock doesn't have it, either. Haven't seen it at Home Goods or Marshalls or any of the overstock places so I guess I'm outta luck.
I tried Laura Ashley for replacements but the shrinkage is awful (the queen pillowcases now barely cover a standard pillow) and the edges of the sheets scrunch right up so they don't even tuck in. Besides which, ironing 10 sets of sheets every day is not in my job description.
I love all white sheets but it must be something in the water here that makes them dingy in no time. So, I'm on the lookout for patterned beige/linen color sheets.
Got a great set of tone on tone blue sheets for the king bed the other day. Yippee! And it came with extra pillowcases. That was to replace a set of white sheets I thought were destroyed. Eventually, after repeated treatments I got the stains out of those, but I couldn't chance not having another backup set.
Alibi Ike said:
Odd question... is the dinginess yellow or grey in tone? Are you using normal bleach, fabric safe bleach (fibre-safe, fibre-guard, etc) or all-colour bleach? Hard water?
(Wow, just looking at the US Clorox website is a surprise, very different from what we see with Javex.)
294582.jpg

But If I may...
regular_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
regular_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Odd question... is the dinginess yellow or grey in tone? Are you using normal bleach, fabric safe bleach (fibre-safe, fibre-guard, etc) or all-colour bleach? Hard water?
(Wow, just looking at the US Clorox website is a surprise, very different from what we see with Javex.)
294582.jpg

Dingy is gray in color. No bleach unless there are noticeable stains I need to remove. We have city water so it is already loaded with chlorine.

But If I may...
regular_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
regular_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
294582.jpg

Dingy is gray in color. No bleach unless there are noticeable stains I need to remove. We have city water so it is already loaded with chlorine.
We have city water and we have no chlorine in our water. Our city ozonates water instead of using chlorine. We don't have hard water, either.
Different things work for different people. Some people apparently swear by putting in some dishwasher powder with their whites. Other seem to think that vinegar does the trick. Personally, I just retire my white towels after a while to either be dyed and used as rags or to the local blue donation bin.
I asked about yellow because it is often cured by using blueing. But I also wondered if a particular type of bleach could be causing the problem. I try to use the fabric safe HE bleach, to keep my towels longer.

But If I may...
regular_smile.gif

Hi Innbloom... totally off topic but I have no other way. Can you click on "My Account" on the left side of the screen, then click the upper most "edit" tab and change your email address to one that works? I've been receiving a bunch of mail delivery rejections today and a few days ago saying that your email address is not functioning any longer.
Thanks.

Back