New Owner Needs Advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktuskey

Reaction score
Hi All! So we're very close to opening (April 22nd) our new bed and breakfast in Boise, Idaho. This is where I lean on your assistance. I built our website and am tapped into facebook, twitter (all the usual social medias). I really need to know what are some of the creative marketing ideas I'm not thinking of. Here is what I've done so far (online mostly):
- Listed on Yelp
- Listed on bedandbreakfast.com
- Listed on bbonline.com
- Signed up for Google Places
- Created a facebook presence"
- Create twitter
- Blog frequently
- Signed up for TripAdvisor - waiting for reply - should I call?
- Did all the SEO tricks
- Working on getting the local paper to do a story

I don't want to get overly spendy on marketing, but I do realize in order to establish an initial base you have to spend to make. Are there obvious (I'm sure there are) things that I'm missing?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, the website is http://www.boisehillsidesuites.com if you want to look at it.

I got this recommendation off of here and it has been good, Craigs list. Google adwords. I would consider a groupon/livingsocial as you might be a bit slow to start.
Make a deal with other B&B's in the area to send overflow guests. Better for you at the moment but always a good idea.
if you get bored www.getl isted. org

You are brave to ask!
wink_smile.gif

If I type in "Boise bed and breakfasts" are you on page one?
That, IMHO, is the most important thing that matters for your long term success.
NEXT, make sure you get on the dreaded Trap Ad Visitor as soon as you can with 5 star everything. Set a target goal and surpass it as soon as you can.
SET your rates for what you are worth and not to compete with others and then sell your value. VALUE VALUE VALUE LUXURY CHEAP HISTORIC BUSINESS any market- its value
Go get `em!

Got my first T A review and it was only a 4
cry_smile.gif
Ice said:
cry_smile.gif
Only a four? They wrote so many amazing things I would be jumpin' for joy! Well done Ice.
cheers.gif

Thanks makes me feel better.
teeth_smile.gif
But don't people look at the stars? I just want to be PERFECT!
Ice said:
I just want to be PERFECT!
Don't go there, you will make yourself a crazy person.

It will take some time to get your B&B on page 1 of Google searches if you just launched the website. Make sure you have VALID backlinks to your website. ie- the link text (what the guest sees) should be 'myinn . com' and not 'see the website here' which is essentially what you get from the directories. (However, you are getting exposure on their sites, which is what you need right now.)
Also, if you hover your mouse over the directory link and it shows something along the lines of '...member_id 47...' you're not getting the link love to your website from that.
Make sure you have those same links on your own website (I didn't look at it). So, on your rooms page have a link back to your home page, etc.
Contact local businesses that have 'area links' on their websites and offer to trade links with them. Email your link with the text you want to show so they don't make something up that does you no good.
Right now, with no TA reviews possibly for awhile, focus your attention on those news articles in the local papers. If you renovated a historical home, a notorious home or you are offering something no one else is, get the story out there.
It sounds like you are doing the right social media. Someone else suggested doing a Living Social or Groupon deal. That's another way to get out there fast. You want to do a search here on those 2 topics to see what good and evil can come of that. And how to get the best deal for YOU.
Good luck!

I know you have worked hard on your site. That said, I would redo it. It feels like I'm looking at a blog. After the first 500 words on the first page I lost interest in it. You need tabs. I person should not have to scroll and scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm excited for your opening and hope it works great for you!

I know you have worked hard on your site. That said, I would redo it. It feels like I'm looking at a blog. After the first 500 words on the first page I lost interest in it. You need tabs. I person should not have to scroll and scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm excited for your opening and hope it works great for you!.
Thanks bob for backing me up. that is exactly what I told her in her other post. :)

Is there any kind of B&B referal group where you are that you could join?

cry_smile.gif
Ice said:
cry_smile.gif
Only a four? They wrote so many amazing things I would be jumpin' for joy! Well done Ice.
cheers.gif

teeth_smile.gif
Ice said:
teeth_smile.gif
NO WAY! Who are you competing with? I read the comments and thought WOW! That is a neat place to stay. Seriousely, couldn't have been better (other than adding one star, and it is their prerogative to feel it is not the "bargain" of the year, sobeit, you don't want to be the bargain of the year, you want great guests! Not penny pinching misers who are only looking at 'value'.) Ice I think for your first it is a really good one! In fact I hope you share it on FB and anywhere else you "share" your place.
thumbs_up.gif

You need to redo your Facebook presence. It should be a "Page" and not a user profile. It is actually against Facebooks terms of service to have a user account that is not a real person. You will also have access to the page features and statistics.
While signed in on your personal Facebook account. create a page at www.facebook.com/pages/create.php.
I would strongly suggest reducing the height of your website header. There is a lot of wasted space and the top of your homepage is the first thing visitors see and the most valuable space on your website. Personally I would make the logo a little smaller and move the navigation menu up so it is next to the logo and not below it. Cut down the size at least by half.
You should get your website link out there as much as possible. There are tons of free sites you can get listed on. You can get some ideas at http://www.yext.com/pl/merchantcircle4/index.html. If you enter your business info they scan about 30 websites to see if you are listed. Don't bother clicking the "Fix It All" button though since they will want you to pay them to create/manage your listings. Just find the websites and get listed.
Some important directores not listed through that link include Bing/yahoo places, www.yp.com (Yellow Pages), and primeplace.nokia.com/ (NAVTEQ GPS Maps). This is just a start and the more places you get listed the better.

You need to redo your Facebook presence. It should be a "Page" and not a user profile. It is actually against Facebooks terms of service to have a user account that is not a real person. You will also have access to the page features and statistics.
While signed in on your personal Facebook account. create a page at www.facebook.com/pages/create.php.
I would strongly suggest reducing the height of your website header. There is a lot of wasted space and the top of your homepage is the first thing visitors see and the most valuable space on your website. Personally I would make the logo a little smaller and move the navigation menu up so it is next to the logo and not below it. Cut down the size at least by half.
You should get your website link out there as much as possible. There are tons of free sites you can get listed on. You can get some ideas at http://www.yext.com/pl/merchantcircle4/index.html. If you enter your business info they scan about 30 websites to see if you are listed. Don't bother clicking the "Fix It All" button though since they will want you to pay them to create/manage your listings. Just find the websites and get listed.
Some important directores not listed through that link include Bing/yahoo places, www.yp.com (Yellow Pages), and primeplace.nokia.com/ (NAVTEQ GPS Maps). This is just a start and the more places you get listed the better..
I would avoid merchant circle even if just for a test run of the website. Once in their sights you will be inundated with spam emails. They are relentless. They have even hijacked my info and stated on their site that theirs is the only place to get real info about my inn. They have dozens of listings in my town for the same businesses over and over with photos of other properties, wrong addresses, wrong info.
Ditto yellow pages. They are also relentless in their spam phone calls and emails.
I would suggest an alternative- check to see where the competition is listed by using alexa.com which doesn't turn around and spam you if you enter your website. There are other sites that do the same research for you, just can't think of names right now.

Some important directores not listed through that link include Bing/yahoo places, www.yp.com (Yellow Pages), and primeplace.nokia.com/ (NAVTEQ GPS Maps). This is just a start and the more places you get listed the better..
Sorry but yellow book is a BIG WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!

I was trying to stay out of this as there are so many diff comments, but listen DON'T POST YOUR WEBSITE on this advice "There are tons of free sites you can get listed on." Don't do it, unless it is a state tourism website that you are able to list your URL as a part of a business in the state, don't jump on all the TONS OF FREE SITES as this guy mentions, you will be sorry later. NOTHING IS FREE. READ MY LIPS. NOTHING IS FREE.
Take it slow, be smart in your approach. Remember anyone can comment on this forum after given a user id, no matter what sort of links and expertise they toss on their signature line, don't think all advice here is the best, take it with a grain of salt.
On that note, go to your neighboring inns listing, do a google search, see the top 10 listing for that inn and then consider if you should a) fork over the dough for those, or b) choose the top three or four and test the water a bit.
In the past we have said "If you are in a highly touristy area" ie many B&B's to choose from., then you need to be on all the same directories and listings the other inns are. Now a guest will choose you from just one, which one? We don't always know, they may follow a rabbit trail to get to you.
If you are not in a touristy area, you may be able to stand on your own two feet, get blogging, get info out there about your inn, please don't post on every tom dick and harry free website (you will NEVER be able to change the info, have any control over the info and they might in fact HURT you in the long run).
All the best.

I was trying to stay out of this as there are so many diff comments, but listen DON'T POST YOUR WEBSITE on this advice "There are tons of free sites you can get listed on." Don't do it, unless it is a state tourism website that you are able to list your URL as a part of a business in the state, don't jump on all the TONS OF FREE SITES as this guy mentions, you will be sorry later. NOTHING IS FREE. READ MY LIPS. NOTHING IS FREE.
Take it slow, be smart in your approach. Remember anyone can comment on this forum after given a user id, no matter what sort of links and expertise they toss on their signature line, don't think all advice here is the best, take it with a grain of salt.
On that note, go to your neighboring inns listing, do a google search, see the top 10 listing for that inn and then consider if you should a) fork over the dough for those, or b) choose the top three or four and test the water a bit.
In the past we have said "If you are in a highly touristy area" ie many B&B's to choose from., then you need to be on all the same directories and listings the other inns are. Now a guest will choose you from just one, which one? We don't always know, they may follow a rabbit trail to get to you.
If you are not in a touristy area, you may be able to stand on your own two feet, get blogging, get info out there about your inn, please don't post on every tom dick and harry free website (you will NEVER be able to change the info, have any control over the info and they might in fact HURT you in the long run).
All the best..
Joey Bloggs said:
What is the downside? I did a fair amount of this, and I do not feel it has hurt us. but now i am worried.

All the best..
Joey Bloggs said:
What is the downside? I did a fair amount of this, and I do not feel it has hurt us. but now i am worried.
toddburme said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Let's see freebie websites post no room available when of course you do have them available. Also acting like they are on your behalf, when they are not. This has happened many times. Info changes, like rates and you cannot update it, or website url or phone number. We have about a dozen out there from the PO's that are untouchable, showing $75 rooms, dogs welcome and worse. Now how people find these OBSCURE listings I have no idea, but they do, they call and they argue. It says right here rooms are $75 and dogs welcome! (another reason a directory should have "rooms start at" instead of specficic rates).
I have not googled and gone from page to page in a year or so, when I do I see red and contact them and it only get us SPAMMED UP THE WAZOO. These are always on page 3 or 4 o5 5 in google, but they are still there.

All the best..
Joey Bloggs said:
Pretty much what Joey said. There are no updates to these sites. Once on there, they go defunct and the info is out there until the domain name gets bought by some spammer who then loads up the free directory with porn and there's your lovely B&B on the same page.
I just don't like dealing with incessant telemarketers so I avoid free sites unless they are good sites like my state tourism site.
BTW, we have been getting a bill every quarter from a directory that claims they have our listing on 6 different websites. NONE of the info is correct. Almost all of the listings on the websites are wrong. We get calls for places nowhere near here because these losers listed our phone number against someone else's name. So, why not fix it? Because I have to pay them $300 to make the changes. THIS is how this particular directory makes money. Pay up and we'll fix the errors.
Another reason to avoid a website that says your listing is free.

Back