New Package Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
What I really want is a PACKAGE IDEA for this year, right now. Not a tour, but an idea for an actual package I can put together. This is a fictional story (based on a true story), so there really are not "REAL" places in the book. Other than telling there where our courthouse is (which is 2 blocks away), etc. I have devoted blog articles and a webpage (on two websites) to this already..
Tell me this, what do you hope to get from the package? Just an upsell, something you can make a profit on? Or something that will drive people to book in the first place, or stay two nights?
"Or something that will drive people to book in the first place, or stay two nights? "
Yes this. Bring in more guests. Stay longer. Something to toss out to the different marketing avenues.
Joey Bloggs said:
"Or something that will drive people to book in the first place, or stay two nights? "
Yes this. Bring in more guests. Stay longer. Something to toss out to the different marketing avenues.
This is going to be trite- have you looked at the categories the different directories have for 'packages' that they are going to promote? Anything there strike you as something you can riff off? Sometimes I'll look at the emails that say 'we're promoting this next week,' and think, 'I'm not ready next week but it's a good package,' so I work something up.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This is going to be trite- have you looked at the categories the different directories have for 'packages' that they are going to promote? Anything there strike you as something you can riff off? Sometimes I'll look at the emails that say 'we're promoting this next week,' and think, 'I'm not ready next week but it's a good package,' so I work something up.
CHEERS!
No I haven't look there.
The ideas come from odd places...reading a mystery right now that's part of a series situated in a tea shop in Charleston. (Long story on why I'm reading it, it's not something I would have picked up.) Anyhoo...the very first chapter is about a 'back alley ramble' they organized for shoppers to ramble the back alleys and go into the stores thru the back. All different stores along this one alley participated. Antiques, clothing and the tea shop for a few.
I'm thinking this is a neat idea. It's like a back-room, Filene's basement sort of thing. Everything around here is a loading dock so not the best location but for a city like Charleston? Off season? Neat idea.
AND, she mentions she's involved in a bed and breakfast tour, which would work in many places. (If there are more details, I'll post them.)
There's a map store in the book so I'm thinking 'treasure map'. Great idea for a group. Send them on a scavenger hunt around town. Requires a certain kind of guest, but some inns get them. Team or individual who finds the most items wins. And, you do it techie- photo of the thing on your cellphone. I think other map ideas were already mentioned. I'd get a jump on that movie thing, a 'beat the crowds' sort of deal. Find out where the actors ate, if they went and did anything. A movie trail. But not just about the movie. People love going where the actors went.
I'm thinking if I refinish my dining room tables the way I want, I will laminate photos and movie stills of the people who have stayed here onto the tables they sat at. (Too weird?)

Thanks.
What I really want is a PACKAGE IDEA for this year, right now. Not a tour, but an idea for an actual package I can put together. This is a fictional story (based on a true story), so there really are not "REAL" places in the book. Other than telling there where our courthouse is (which is 2 blocks away), etc. I have devoted blog articles and a webpage (on two websites) to this already..
Tell me this, what do you hope to get from the package? Just an upsell, something you can make a profit on? Or something that will drive people to book in the first place, or stay two nights?
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
CHEERS!
No I haven't look there.
JB, Your County HAS to have a legend among the Shiners. Can you locate the route they took to point out the real-life places? Promote it as the "Roots of NA SC AR" as a 2-night package. Find where they started and you know where they ended - at the Courthouse or in the marble orchard.
Roots of Nascar, great title!

Thanks.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
CHEERS!
No I haven't look there.
The ideas come from odd places...reading a mystery right now that's part of a series situated in a tea shop in Charleston. (Long story on why I'm reading it, it's not something I would have picked up.) Anyhoo...the very first chapter is about a 'back alley ramble' they organized for shoppers to ramble the back alleys and go into the stores thru the back. All different stores along this one alley participated. Antiques, clothing and the tea shop for a few.
I'm thinking this is a neat idea. It's like a back-room, Filene's basement sort of thing. Everything around here is a loading dock so not the best location but for a city like Charleston? Off season? Neat idea.
AND, she mentions she's involved in a bed and breakfast tour, which would work in many places. (If there are more details, I'll post them.)
There's a map store in the book so I'm thinking 'treasure map'. Great idea for a group. Send them on a scavenger hunt around town. Requires a certain kind of guest, but some inns get them. Team or individual who finds the most items wins. And, you do it techie- photo of the thing on your cellphone. I think other map ideas were already mentioned. I'd get a jump on that movie thing, a 'beat the crowds' sort of deal. Find out where the actors ate, if they went and did anything. A movie trail. But not just about the movie. People love going where the actors went.
I'm thinking if I refinish my dining room tables the way I want, I will laminate photos and movie stills of the people who have stayed here onto the tables they sat at. (Too weird?)
Too cool! Do it!

Thanks.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
CHEERS!
No I haven't look there.
Oh Oh, reminds me of a bar in Mexico, if you didn't buy the photo, it went on the wall....

Thanks.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
CHEERS!
No I haven't look there.
As merchants we did variations of this, easter egg hunt, lepruchaun hunt, road rally/scavenger hunt. It went over really well, even with very little prizes involved. How about a meal out and they have to follow the clues to get there? A blind tour?

Trying to go with the moonshine idea for a package... "Moonshine & Bluegrass"
Is there a small book on the history of moonshine that you could buy? A local bluegrass CD? Fill a small mason jar with something. Add a DQ gift card so they can go hear music (or other small GC to a place where there's music). A memento of your area's unique attractions.
Or some combo like that priced so you make dinero on it...

Here is one I found online under girl friend getaways/night out:
Would you ever arrange pizza and food like this? It isn’t a lot of work to do that I am sure. I have never considered pizza as part of a package, have you?

See the thing with the packages is this – Moonshine is something people make in the woods, it is illegal, there is no “go to” for it, it is not something promotional. The movie is a different story, it is about a MOONSHINE CONSPIRACY TRIAL it is about a major murder and involvement with the government and group of thugs here. Again, it is not released until 2012.

Excerpt from a package I saw:
Girl's Night Out
Arrive Friday evening, check into your guest room, and find a lovely welcome gift. Enjoy a pizza, salad and brownies party and time to visit with the other ladies that evening. Saturday morning, wake up to a delicious breakfast and then get ready to head over to Heavenly Escape Day Spa for an afternoon of pampering. You'll be treated to a Swedish massage, face glow plus a hand and foot treatment. After your delicious spa treatments,

Would you ever arrange pizza and food like this? It isn’t a lot of work to do that I am sure. I have never considered pizza as part of a package, have you?

See the thing with the packages is this – Moonshine is something people make in the woods, it is illegal, there is no “go to” for it, it is not something promotional. The movie is a different story, it is about a MOONSHINE CONSPIRACY TRIAL it is about a major murder and involvement with the government and group of thugs here. Again, it is not released until 2012.

Girl's Night Out
Arrive Friday evening, check into your guest room, and find a lovely welcome gift. Enjoy a pizza, salad and brownies party and time to visit with the other ladies that evening. Saturday morning, wake up to a delicious breakfast and then get ready to head over to Heavenly Escape Day Spa for an afternoon of pampering. You'll be treated to a Swedish massage, face glow plus a hand and foot treatment. After your delicious spa treatments,
Girlfriend getaways are fun. But, again, you're having to offer them something to do/see which probably involves other businesses. We see it more as a group coming for an event that is already planned vs coming for a pkg we offer. What DOES sell, however, is getting in with a promoter of a product like scrapbooking materials. It's like a weekend Tupperware party. The promoter shows off the products, offers classes and sells the product to the guests. The guests get a place to scrapbook, someone to show them new ideas and a place to buy materials.
But, you've got to have room for the tables.
Ditto quitlers. If you can find someone (again, you have to involve other people) who has a client list they can market the weekend to, good to go.
A lot of it is location. I can see where some really great ideas are only great if you live in a small city where there is a lot to do outside the inn. Or, where you have a lot of B&B's that will participate with you in doing something. Or, you're out in the middle of nowhere and that's what you market.
Doing the pizza/brownie/salad thing sounds great. It could even be soup/chili/stew. BYOB.

Trying to go with the moonshine idea for a package... "Moonshine & Bluegrass"
Is there a small book on the history of moonshine that you could buy? A local bluegrass CD? Fill a small mason jar with something. Add a DQ gift card so they can go hear music (or other small GC to a place where there's music). A memento of your area's unique attractions.
Or some combo like that priced so you make dinero on it....
Moon-Shine & Bluegrass - Market it for the full moon so the moon shine is romance - not booze. You certainly have enough bluegrass and other music in your area. The moon will shine over them as they go to a music venue. Adding the CD is the icing on the cake.
You have that brothers music group that is making the scene - target their followers with an area tour. This is where they grew up, this is where they went to school, to church, played baseball....... Any other famous music people????

Do you personally know any of the bluegrass artists? maybe they would be willing to come to your inn for a private music session in exchange for ?? a comped night. or storytellers on the front porch, whittling lessons, homemade instruments (guests bring along a homemade instrument or make something they find at a local junk shop - taking on the idea about the treasure hunt)

I just have to put out there, in our experience people who are booking for a specific package like this (the pizza thing/girlfriend getaway) tend to be very high maintenance. They want to be entertained the whole time and heaven forbid they need to research something themselves or show any kind of initiative. AND they will never leave the house.
Plus maybe just me but you're not sitting in my living/dining room eating pizza and stinking the whole place up. I'd rather package with a local restaurant, most of them are willing to give you a 5-10% discount on one of their gift certificates so you make a little bit back. But I like to GET 'EM OUT THERE to see and do stuff.

How about a Breakfast in Bed class for the hubbies/sig.others? You teach the guys a few quick recipes that they then deliver to their ladies later in the morning.
You could prep stuff much like you might normally do for a breakfast, help them plate, add a bud vase, perhaps a mimosa and they get to bring it up to the room--look ma, I did it myself.
If you kept the menu to something simple like a quiche, croissants, fruit and yogurt it might not be too much of a zoo. They would get the "secret recipes" as well to do at home for a special occasion.
Unless of course you absolutely don't want people eating in their rooms or other cooks in the kitchen.

Girl's Night Out
I had a girlfriend's package which actually included a discounted rate for the rooms, but would have been profitable in the long run. Never had any takers. :-( I think with your spa close by you might get some takers.

How about a Breakfast in Bed class for the hubbies/sig.others? You teach the guys a few quick recipes that they then deliver to their ladies later in the morning.
You could prep stuff much like you might normally do for a breakfast, help them plate, add a bud vase, perhaps a mimosa and they get to bring it up to the room--look ma, I did it myself.
If you kept the menu to something simple like a quiche, croissants, fruit and yogurt it might not be too much of a zoo. They would get the "secret recipes" as well to do at home for a special occasion.
Unless of course you absolutely don't want people eating in their rooms or other cooks in the kitchen..
Most cannot have anyone else in the kitchen courtesy of the Health Dept regs. Does sound interesting tho - IF you could find enough guys who would even consider it. They want the wife to bring them brekkie in bed.

Unless of course you absolutely don't want people eating in their rooms or other cooks in the kitchen..
No one allowed in kitchens except the cook. This could be a disaster. Doesn't sound appealing to me. The only packages that we ever sold were ones with roses and reservations for dinner. Lots of folks around here have tried more complicated packages and they never sold. People come here to relax or get outside and hike in the park or canoe. They just were not interested in anything else.

Back