New PAII Executive Director

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think an Innspiring Convention would be great. We could all come by way of road trips and meet somewhere in the middle so that anyone who can't get away can host the ones who do get away, then we can do some sort of webcast wherever we meet up.
But in defense of PAII and vendors, I must admit that I spent the majority of my time at the first PAII meeting when I was an aspiring talking to all the vendors. It was before the downturn, and there were so many vendors. Admit it, our forum gives us the nuts and bolts, the camaraderie, the friendship, but there's nothing like feeling the linens, checking out the computer program vendors, and otherwise kicking the tires. At my second meeting there were fewer vendors, partially because some had gone out of business, and, of course I had fewer needs, but attracting vendors is a big part of what PAII could have to offer us, if put in the proper perspective.
Innkeep said:
I think an Innspiring Convention would be great.
an innspiring convention? Convening on one location? There goes the neighborhood! :)

Let's all pile in on Proud Texan...unannounced!

Let's all pile in on Proud Texan...unannounced!.
Sure...and we can all stay in his 2 cabins. I call dibs for the bed!
wink_smile.gif

So why don't we have a yearly Innspiring convention that IS about innkeepers? I'd love to attend one of Gillum's PG-rated lectures, and the vendors could pay just enough to cover the cost of the meeting place.
Nightly cash bar cocktail parties at 6:30 and the next day's lectures don't start until 10 a.m.
The perfect convention, and a tax deductible expense!.
Arks said:
So why don't we have a yearly Innspiring convention that IS about innkeepers? I'd love to attend one of Gillum's PG-rated lectures, and the vendors could pay just enough to cover the cost of the meeting place.
Nightly cash bar cocktail parties at 6:30 and the next day's lectures don't start until 10 a.m.
The perfect convention, and a tax deductible expense!
I think we had one of those this year already (as is evidenced by my avatar photo)
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
I think we had one of those this year already (as is evidenced by my avatar photo)
shades_smile.gif
I think thats what you call an Innspiring convention gone VERY WRONG!!!! LOL :)
I have missed you all. Things have been crazy in my life and I wanted to stop in and say Hi!
Glad you are back Hillbilly. Yes, the BIG problem with PAII has always been the costs are too much for the little inns - both for dues and the Conferences. Rather than a week it would be better condensed into no more than 3 days and take the show on the road - West, Middle States, and East. By making it smaller, fewer days the guaranteed room count would be smaller and costs would be less for everyone. Vendors could afford to go to 2 or maybe all 3 with the costs being spread out and less. And since not all "high seasons" are the same season, more innkeepers may be able to attend one of them that would be impossible if it was during high season.
Winter is dead here and many other areas but for the deep south and the ski areas this is high season. Summer we are booming but the deep south is dead-heat-scorching dead. Have conferences where the season is dead for cheaper rates and to get the innkeepers that are not going nuts with guests. One would think with all the "marketing" people PAII has that they would have thought of this years ago.
PAII has forgotten that 1000 small inns @ $100 will equal the same revenue as 20 inns at $500 BUT the numbers being represented are larger. It was the NUMBERS Jay represented that made T A sit down and talk with Jay. And he got the NUMBERS by making it affordable to the small B & B to join PAII.
And by the time the week was over (before even) of the one PAII Conference I attended, I was so bone tired from running from one end of the Conference Center to another for a "cattle-call" session that was so jammed with people that you could not see what was being presented and really did not feel "part" of the Conference. There truly is such a thing as being too big. There was not time to build relationships - you were too busy running.
The Conferences my State Association used to have were 3-day events and done on the cheap because we did not have a lot of money (and neither did our members). But we networked with each other and felt like family that saw each other (and looked forward to it) at the once a year. We KNEW who we could call with what problem - one was an expert on financials (former banker), another was known for recipes (former prof at one of our unis), someone else knew marketing, another knew who to call to get answers about just about everything. THAT is what PAII is missing. My State Assoc will go to the Legislature for something that affects members all over the State. PAII cannot be on top of everything but SHOULD be watching Federal legislation that affects inns across the Country (and Internationally if they are going to claim International) and give alerts to members about what is going to affect them and how it will - swimming pool regs, ADA, etc.
Sorry. I am going back to my corner to suck my thumb in penance for my rant.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
I have missed you all. Things have been crazy in my life and I wanted to stop in and say Hi!
Glad you are back Hillbilly. Yes, the BIG problem with PAII has always been the costs are too much for the little inns - both for dues and the Conferences. Rather than a week it would be better condensed into no more than 3 days and take the show on the road - West, Middle States, and East. By making it smaller, fewer days the guaranteed room count would be smaller and costs would be less for everyone. Vendors could afford to go to 2 or maybe all 3 with the costs being spread out and less. And since not all "high seasons" are the same season, more innkeepers may be able to attend one of them that would be impossible if it was during high season.
Winter is dead here and many other areas but for the deep south and the ski areas this is high season. Summer we are booming but the deep south is dead-heat-scorching dead. Have conferences where the season is dead for cheaper rates and to get the innkeepers that are not going nuts with guests. One would think with all the "marketing" people PAII has that they would have thought of this years ago.
PAII has forgotten that 1000 small inns @ $100 will equal the same revenue as 20 inns at $500 BUT the numbers being represented are larger. It was the NUMBERS Jay represented that made T A sit down and talk with Jay. And he got the NUMBERS by making it affordable to the small B & B to join PAII.
And by the time the week was over (before even) of the one PAII Conference I attended, I was so bone tired from running from one end of the Conference Center to another for a "cattle-call" session that was so jammed with people that you could not see what was being presented and really did not feel "part" of the Conference. There truly is such a thing as being too big. There was not time to build relationships - you were too busy running.
The Conferences my State Association used to have were 3-day events and done on the cheap because we did not have a lot of money (and neither did our members). But we networked with each other and felt like family that saw each other (and looked forward to it) at the once a year. We KNEW who we could call with what problem - one was an expert on financials (former banker), another was known for recipes (former prof at one of our unis), someone else knew marketing, another knew who to call to get answers about just about everything. THAT is what PAII is missing. My State Assoc will go to the Legislature for something that affects members all over the State. PAII cannot be on top of everything but SHOULD be watching Federal legislation that affects inns across the Country (and Internationally if they are going to claim International) and give alerts to members about what is going to affect them and how it will - swimming pool regs, ADA, etc.
K, you could not be more spot on if you tried!

Oh, and i was a bit peeved that he wants to make the PAII conference more affordable for the vendors! What the...???!!! How about more affordable for the innkeepers? Anyone got an extra $699 lying around just for registration?! This, of course, does not include travel expenses, hotel or most of your food.
I just got done attending a 2-day state conference that was only $129 (included meals and wonderful snacks and coffee breaks) and lodging $79/night, and I DROVE to it (parking was free).
Anyone know what vendor he was with?.
Back in the late 1990's, he developed websites for B&Bs...I don't know what happened to his company since then.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
Missed you also, praying all is ok with your awesome family.

Oh, and i was a bit peeved that he wants to make the PAII conference more affordable for the vendors! What the...???!!! How about more affordable for the innkeepers? Anyone got an extra $699 lying around just for registration?! This, of course, does not include travel expenses, hotel or most of your food.
I just got done attending a 2-day state conference that was only $129 (included meals and wonderful snacks and coffee breaks) and lodging $79/night, and I DROVE to it (parking was free).
Anyone know what vendor he was with?.
Back in the late 1990's, he developed websites for B&Bs...I don't know what happened to his company since then.
This is all I can find now http://www.tmm.net/

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
"PAII has forgotten that 1000 small inns @ $100 will equal the same revenue as 20 inns at $500". I think your math is off by a factor of 10.
1,000 * 100 = $100,000 20 *500= $10,000

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
"PAII has forgotten that 1000 small inns @ $100 will equal the same revenue as 20 inns at $500". I think your math is off by a factor of 10.
CaldwellHouse said:
OK, my math may be sloppy but the numbers still are not there.1000 still beats 200. There are hundreds thousands of us little B & Bs. We make up for the dollars we lack with the numbers we have. When we got the Fire Codes changed in my State, it was because of the numbers we represented because those numbers equaled votes. With T A and the rest of the huge boys, it is not votes but it IS numbers. NUMBERS got Jay an audience with the all high T A. Numbers got Jay a seat at the table.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
CaldwellHouse said:
OK, my math may be sloppy but the numbers still are not there.1000 still beats 200. There are hundreds thousands of us little B & Bs. We make up for the dollars we lack with the numbers we have. When we got the Fire Codes changed in my State, it was because of the numbers we represented because those numbers equaled votes. With T A and the rest of the huge boys, it is not votes but it IS numbers. NUMBERS got Jay an audience with the all high T A. Numbers got Jay a seat at the table.
the easy way to do it is $10 per bedroom - fair to all and would give better coverage

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
CaldwellHouse said:
the easy way to do it is $10 per bedroom - fair to all and would give better coverage
Joey Camb said:
I agree, but $10/room is not enough. That wouldn't even pay their cost to mail me the quarterly magazine. Maybe a base rate of $50 plus $10/room above that.
But it ain't gonna happen. That would be too reasonable!

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
shades_smile.gif
CaldwellHouse said:
Joey Camb said:
I agree, but $10/room is not enough. That wouldn't even pay their cost to mail me the quarterly magazine. Maybe a base rate of $50 plus $10/room above that.
But it ain't gonna happen. That would be too reasonable!
I looked at my PAII membership as a "donation" as I really did not "get" anything from it (this Forum is better than theirs). As cheap as I am, I would have given them $100 + $10 per room to give Jay numbers. $249 is no longer a donation. My State Assoc gives me what I really NEED. With Jay at the helm, PAII gave me a "seat at the table" but that was not worth that much more than my State dues.
In my State, most of us a small and work to help the small B & B (6 rooms or less) but we did not ignore the bigger inns when they still belonged. PAII concentrates on the big inns who can (and will) hand them thousands of dollars. My biggest surprise at the one PAII Conference I attended was how much money was flying into the coffers of PAII for the BWTS and other things. Innkeepers had THAT much money??? I felt like I was in a foreign country, not innkeeper country.

I saw Jay last week. He's genuine, inspirational, funny, talented, sympathetic, and I don't know how he manages it, but seems to know every innkeeper by name.
Dumbest thing P A I I ever did was to let him go. Glad he's still in our industry.

I saw Jay last week. He's genuine, inspirational, funny, talented, sympathetic, and I don't know how he manages it, but seems to know every innkeeper by name.
Dumbest thing P A I I ever did was to let him go. Glad he's still in our industry..
Breakfast Diva said:
Dumbest thing P A I I ever did was to let him go. Glad he's still in our industry.
What is he doing?

Dumbest thing P A I I ever did was to let him go. Glad he's still in our industry..
Breakfast Diva said:
What is he doing?
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
What is he doing?
Top banana at SR

Innkeeper Magazine has confirmed several reports that Ray Gomez, the Director of Communications and Marketing at PAII has resigned.

Back