New PAII Membership Levels

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I got a notice from PAII that "Silver Level" memberships are being converted to "Professional Level" and my new rate is $249 /year.
Can anybody remember what the old Silver Level cost was? Seems like it was a lot less. I'll bet this really cuts down on membership renewals.

The Professional Level is $249 and is now the least expensive level. PAII Membership
Master Level is $599 and includes everything on the Professional Level but includes FREE Innkeeping Show registration.
Oh really?? It's not FREE if it's the only difference between Professional and Master!!

I've been a big supporter of PAII over the years and was used to paying $200+ for my membership.
Once they offered the inexpensive membership in hopes of gaining more members, I thought it was a bad idea. It's like always offering a discount for your rooms and getting guests used to a bargain. When you then want guests to pay full price, they don't see the value of it and go away!
I'm afraid a lot of innkeepers will not renew.
cry_smile.gif

It has been $89 for several years now - no frills, just newsletter and the magazine and the Forums. The wwebinars were either $20 or $40 more than regular price members. i do not remember which because I never signed up for them.
Sorry, but this small inn cannot afford $249 for PAII plus $200 for a Directory (if only doing one as I do) plus other marketing, insurance, and taxes. I will go back to just getting what my State Association can give me. Not impressed with BWTS - stopped giving the extra $100 when my pledge was up thanks to the doily mess. I guess I am disillusioned. Maybe my expectations were like those of our guests - too much.

I've been a big supporter of PAII over the years and was used to paying $200+ for my membership.
Once they offered the inexpensive membership in hopes of gaining more members, I thought it was a bad idea. It's like always offering a discount for your rooms and getting guests used to a bargain. When you then want guests to pay full price, they don't see the value of it and go away!
I'm afraid a lot of innkeepers will not renew.
cry_smile.gif
I would have to think long and hard about paying that kind of fee.

It has been $89 for several years now - no frills, just newsletter and the magazine and the Forums. The wwebinars were either $20 or $40 more than regular price members. i do not remember which because I never signed up for them.
Sorry, but this small inn cannot afford $249 for PAII plus $200 for a Directory (if only doing one as I do) plus other marketing, insurance, and taxes. I will go back to just getting what my State Association can give me. Not impressed with BWTS - stopped giving the extra $100 when my pledge was up thanks to the doily mess. I guess I am disillusioned. Maybe my expectations were like those of our guests - too much..
gillumhouse said:
Sorry, but this small inn cannot afford $249 for PAII plus $200 for a Directory (if only doing one as I do) plus other marketing, insurance, and taxes. I will go back to just getting what my State Association can give me. Not impressed with BWTS - stopped giving the extra $100 when my pledge was up thanks to the doily mess. I guess I am disillusioned. Maybe my expectations were like those of our guests - too much.
Understandable!

Also "in the old days" we were charged for how many room we have. I think they would be smart to go back to that model.

Call me the bargain shopper if you will but when they reduced their basic membership to $89, that is when I became a member. It was about that same time they were on the beginning discussions of a campaign by innkeepers. The 'bargain' price and the notion they were on the verge of something great in the way of national marketing had me sold.
I then became disillusioned when I saw the direction the BWTS campaign headed. That along with the fact I did not feel any connection @ Paii... the forum(s) were dull - (again another CHEER for this one!!!) I am spoiled by this one and all you y'all! Due to the timing of the convention, (it is during our peak) I can't attend that.
Basically the only reason I retained my membership was due to the fact that I feel the greater the presence the better the voice of PAii when they stand up for our industry. If I recall, that was one of the reasons Jay (or someone from his office) gave to make it more affordable for all sizes of B&B's to be part of the organization. This new (return) pricing along with the direction BWTS has headed tells me that they are only in it for the big guys with big bucks. It was obvious to me from the first BWTS video. I failed to renew my membership this last renewal time and now I don't need to give it another thought. They have gone full circle in a very short period, as have I!!!

Call me the bargain shopper if you will but when they reduced their basic membership to $89, that is when I became a member. It was about that same time they were on the beginning discussions of a campaign by innkeepers. The 'bargain' price and the notion they were on the verge of something great in the way of national marketing had me sold.
I then became disillusioned when I saw the direction the BWTS campaign headed. That along with the fact I did not feel any connection @ Paii... the forum(s) were dull - (again another CHEER for this one!!!) I am spoiled by this one and all you y'all! Due to the timing of the convention, (it is during our peak) I can't attend that.
Basically the only reason I retained my membership was due to the fact that I feel the greater the presence the better the voice of PAii when they stand up for our industry. If I recall, that was one of the reasons Jay (or someone from his office) gave to make it more affordable for all sizes of B&B's to be part of the organization. This new (return) pricing along with the direction BWTS has headed tells me that they are only in it for the big guys with big bucks. It was obvious to me from the first BWTS video. I failed to renew my membership this last renewal time and now I don't need to give it another thought. They have gone full circle in a very short period, as have I!!!.
BTW, there is nothing wrong with bargain shopping! A bargain brings them in....it's up to them to show folks that after the bargain it's worth full price! I went down to the lowest membership too.

Basically the only reason I retained my membership was due to the fact that I feel the greater the presence the better the voice of PAii when they stand up for our industry. If I recall, that was one of the reasons Jay (or someone from his office) gave to make it more affordable for all sizes of B&B's to be part of the organization. This new (return) pricing along with the direction BWTS has headed tells me that they are only in it for the big guys with big bucks. It was obvious to me from the first BWTS video. I failed to renew my membership this last renewal time and now I don't need to give it another thought. They have gone full circle in a very short period, as have I!!!.
I rejoined at the $89 level too. Test run to see if things had changed. One of those things where I just felt like it was a club I didn't belong in.
I, too, did not like the way the BWTS campaign was shaping up. It's not at all the way my inn looks or feels. The kerfuffle over the use of 'WTF' in the campaign pointed out that my days and my style were numbered. (I would NEVER use that 'language' with my guests no matter their age. And I only rarely use it with my friends.)
I make my little changes and my repeat guests love these things. But, appeal to the BWTS demographic? Nope. I don't do that.

Here is my take on it. If they had made the FIRST year $89 and then take it up to say $125 after that, I could have gone along with that - costs go up. But I also think the membership by # rooms is good. One reason I told the 800 lb gorilla to shove it was the ROI for a 3-room B & B on a $469 listing (the lowest with my web link) and the ROI for a 20-room inn paying the same $469 is VERY different.
This jump is akin to the innkeeper who keeps the rates the same for 10 years and suddenly realizes they need a rate increase and double the rate in one jump. BIG hairy difference between an affordable for the little guy of $89 to the now $249. Too much too quickly. I joined to give the numbers because I recognize the numbers value. I gave the extra $100 per year for 3 years to BWTS. Perhaps they figured I was already giving $189 so it was not such a big jump - EXCEPT I stopped the extra $100 as of this year (the doily war sucked and I have yet to see ANY of the stuff they have produced where the average Joe would see it. Where are their commercials? It was a BIG pinch for me to come up with that extra $100. For many it seems $100 is no biggie - but it is here.
The Health Dept jumped the fee to $50 this year, PAII wants $160 more, insurance goes up - where does it stop? I am probably at the top of my rates possible. I cannot print money. I can only take so much of a hit "For the Cause" - I have enough "Cause" in my own backyard. Come to think of it, I probably would have a few more fingernails if I stopped going to the wall "for the cause" (pick one - there are too many). Do i stop supporting the girls team for Jerry West Basketball? Do I stop being a sponsor for a fundraiser for 4-H? Do I stop supporting my City in promoting the City? Do I stop supporting the local Girl Scout Troop? Do I stop supporting United Way fundraisers that get me publicity? Same for the Mission? All the above need CASH, not room nights or donations of product. YOU all get hit just as hard so I am singing to the choir.
Adding I was disappointed with what happened with the Vets program - it went from being a simple give one free night to make your offer that instead of being one night no strings, went to being a BOGO for many and all different directions. Simple turned hugely complicated. It also went from over 900 listed to what? about 300? I am done - going back to my corner with my blankie and my thumb.

Arkie - re auto-renew. Go to your logged in screen that lists profile and membership. I clicked on membership and it asked me to click to renew so I think I m not auto-renew. I hope.

I just got an e-mail from PAII saying they are cancelling everybody's autorenewals so nobody will pay the new rate if they don't want to.
So at least they're not evil. :)
They're also not backing down on the 3X price increase. Strange. If they'd nudged it up reasonably over a few years they'd have kept a lot more members...if they WANT a lot of members. Maybe they just want the totally loyal core.

I just got an e-mail from PAII saying they are cancelling everybody's autorenewals so nobody will pay the new rate if they don't want to.
They're also not backing down on the 3X price increase. Strange. If they'd nudged it up reasonably over a few years they'd have kept a lot more members...if they WANT a lot of members. Maybe they just want the totally loyal core..
I haven't gotten that e-mail yet. Did they address the fact that the memberships are renewing before our 12 months are up from last year??

They're also not backing down on the 3X price increase. Strange. If they'd nudged it up reasonably over a few years they'd have kept a lot more members...if they WANT a lot of members. Maybe they just want the totally loyal core..
Arkansawyer said:
They're also not backing down on the 3X price increase. Strange. If they'd nudged it up reasonably over a few years they'd have kept a lot more members...if they WANT a lot of members. Maybe they just want the totally loyal core.
The big bucks crowd? When I opened, I decided the only way to make it was to "run with the big boys" and that is what I did - with marketing and marketing spending. I am not gong to be something I am not and dues levels to PAII I am not. (This move is to me like the Diamond level with bandbdot.)

I haven't gotten that e-mail yet. Did they address the fact that the memberships are renewing before our 12 months are up from last year??
Yes, some who thought they had 1 year membership paid discovered it was for 6 months. October 1 is the new membership date. I expire in August - who knows, perhaps in more ways than that.

Several who didn't much mind the dues increase are really mad now to discover that their already-paid year membership has been shortened, in their opinion breaking a contract.
VERY poorly handled situation.

Yes, some who thought they had 1 year membership paid discovered it was for 6 months. October 1 is the new membership date. I expire in August - who knows, perhaps in more ways than that.
My renewal says August, but my annual membership isn't supposed to expire until October. It's just not right!

Back