New Photo

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
JBJ took a picture when she was here that got me thinking. I took the camera up today and tried it. I know I need to do something with the end of the bed - probably some throw pillows (which I will need to buy) on the bench. What do you think of the photo in general and yes - have at it with other suggestions.

Personally I don't care for the dolls?? in front of the fireplace. If it is non working, I would rather see a screen covering it. Looks too chach key ( SP??) for me. Pillows on the bench would be good.

I think pillows and/or a beautiful throw draped over would be good. Also, I agree with Catlandy about the dolls.
I love all the wood!

I love the fireplace. I wish it was for sale as we are looking for one just like that for our diningroom.
If it had an electrical insert, guests would love it and it would warm up the room wonderfully.
I have porcelin dolls too, but not in the rooms. I have a wicker sleigh in the parlor for all of them together.

Dolls in the room are the kind of things that B&B's get made fun of on sitcoms King of Queens: Inn Escapable (about 4 minutes in) Of course they made fun of a lot in that episode. ;).
swirt said:
Dolls in the room are the kind of things that B&B's get made fun of on sitcoms King of Queens: Inn Escapable (about 4 minutes in) Of course they made fun of a lot in that episode. ;)
One of my favorite episodes. Esp the owner using their bathtub!
I had a guy call me once, and the only thing he wanted to know was "do you have dolls or bears on the bed?" When I told him no, he booked the room!

I had dolls on a shelf in a guest room and one day when I went in to clean while the guests were out and noticed the dolls were gone. I looked around and found them stashed under a skirted table! Even the teddy bear!

Personally I don't care for the dolls?? in front of the fireplace. If it is non working, I would rather see a screen covering it. Looks too chach key ( SP??) for me. Pillows on the bench would be good..
catlady said:
Personally I don't care for the dolls?? in front of the fireplace. If it is non working, I would rather see a screen covering it. Looks too chach key ( SP??) for me. Pillows on the bench would be good.
Tchotchke.
And I agree about the dolls. Take them out for the photo and if you really like them there and get good comments about them, put them back later on.
Even having one pillow and a throw on the bench would work. Grab them from somewhere else in the house like I did for the photos I took. Even putting a pillow case over a completely 'wrong' color throw pillow and tucking the ends under will work.

Unfortunately, I also agree about the dolls
sad_smile.gif
Dolls and stuffed animals aren't my faves at B&Bs. I would take them out of the room and show off the fireplace cover. I would also put a nice throw on the bench that complements the room colors to soften it - be careful that it's not a color that the eye is drawn to only that in the photo.
Can you get back any further at all to show more of the bed in the shot?

Is the mattress or box spring covered in that photo just under the bed rail? I can't tell if it's a white cover or if that's the bare box spring. It's one of my pet peeves in photos - or in guest rooms, for that matter. No bare stuff when a bed is made.

Depending on what your "main topic" of the shot is, I would crop out the bathroom door, and maybe raise a bit to not cut off the top of the bedpost. I like the dolls and would put something on the bench.

The open door to the bathroom was intentional - I had 10 years of 3 with shared. OK about dumping the stupid dolls - as I said, they are not my thing. Had them in the rooms - like these in places out of the guests way, because I had no place else to put the overflow. Grandgirls are getting older now - hmmmmm can start sending them home with a doll or two.
I knew I needed throw pillows on the bench. This was a first try. Yes that is the box spring - I don't like bed skirts. Will have to move the sheets downward for the next try.
Oh, nothing is on the bed other than the duvet except if it is a couple, I have solk rose petals and Hersey kisses scattered on the bed - kisses for lovers! I hate to have to find someplace to put a dozen pillows or whatever so I can crawl into bed.
I was backed into the corner as far as I could get. Thanks for the ideas. Will work on them for the next attempt. I told you I had no "flair".

The open door to the bathroom was intentional - I had 10 years of 3 with shared. OK about dumping the stupid dolls - as I said, they are not my thing. Had them in the rooms - like these in places out of the guests way, because I had no place else to put the overflow. Grandgirls are getting older now - hmmmmm can start sending them home with a doll or two.
I knew I needed throw pillows on the bench. This was a first try. Yes that is the box spring - I don't like bed skirts. Will have to move the sheets downward for the next try.
Oh, nothing is on the bed other than the duvet except if it is a couple, I have solk rose petals and Hersey kisses scattered on the bed - kisses for lovers! I hate to have to find someplace to put a dozen pillows or whatever so I can crawl into bed.
I was backed into the corner as far as I could get. Thanks for the ideas. Will work on them for the next attempt. I told you I had no "flair"..
If you don't like bed skirts you might try using a spare fitted sheet to cover the boxspring, in a coordinating color or pattern with the quilts or sheets. It is a cleaner look than a bedskirt. My canopy beds can not have regular boxskirts due to their construction and I use fitted sheets that are out of circulation for whatever reason to cover the box spring.

Try standing on a chair in the corner and taking the pics from a slight down angle. I would take everything off the fireplace area and just place a beautiful bright (yellow?) flower arrangement on the mantle. I would get rid of the bathroom doorway (your text description will tell them of the private bath) and try to get more of that beautiful 4 poster bed.

I was backed into the corner as far as I could get. Thanks for the ideas. Will work on them for the next attempt. I told you I had no "flair"..
If you don't like bed skirts you might try using a spare fitted sheet to cover the boxspring, in a coordinating color or pattern with the quilts or sheets. It is a cleaner look than a bedskirt. My canopy beds can not have regular boxskirts due to their construction and I use fitted sheets that are out of circulation for whatever reason to cover the box spring.
When I had bedspreads on some of the beds, that's just what I did...took stained fitted sheets out of circ and put them on the boxspring. Mostly because when the bedspread was dumped on the floor, the shocking blue boxspring stuck out a mile! I'm with you on that as a pet peeve. In the photo, the duvet should be pulled down to cover the boxspring. To me, the bed looks 'unmade' when the boxspring shows. I've noticed that a LOT on the HGTV shows that go into homes for sale.

gillumhouse said:
I was backed into the corner as far as I could get. Thanks for the ideas. Will work on them for the next attempt. I told you I had no "flair".
Hey, remember how many pix I took when showing my 'new' photo on here! Lots of good suggestions will make a really good shot. I agree with the one that says to stand on a chair and try a different angle.
To me, the bathroom looks like it is across the hall. Is it attached? (I know, believe me, that being across the hall does not make it shared!)

gillumhouse said:
Hey, remember how many pix I took when showing my 'new' photo on here! Lots of good suggestions will make a really good shot. I agree with the one that says to stand on a chair and try a different angle.
To me, the bathroom looks like it is across the hall. Is it attached? (I know, believe me, that being across the hall does not make it shared!)
OK, it did not do what I had hoped. I was trying to show it as the ensuite that it is. I am having trouble getting over the bathroom hang-up - need to get over it. You have all given me ideas for the next try. It will probably be a while before I do it, but I have a few ideas running through my head right now. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with photos with the bed in turn-down mode either. Sometimes that looks real inviting.

i agree with flowers on the mantle & maybe a couple of candles, lit of course for the photo op. try the draping of a chenille fringed throw for the bench along with maybe an open hardcover old book turned over, like someone is holding the place in the book while they went to get a glass of something. definately try to take the photo from a rather non traditional perspective. experiment with some different angles , you might t be surprised with how things end up. definately need a bedskirt of some type, for that finishing touch look. i, personally, like to double up contrasting bedskirts for a tiered effect.
just my personal opinion, by all means each individual needs to go with the flow they are comfortable with & what they feel is appropriate for their B&B.

Back