New request. Have you heard this one?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Guy told me that when he tried to log into our guest WiFi, the login asked for our router key number. I declined to share that with him.

But, wtf?

I double checked that he was using the right WiFi. We have a few old ones that pop up sometimes and we have a private one for us. He swore he was on the guest login.

I had a couple tell me - at check-out - that the wifi on the label on the TV did not work. I cannot check it myself because I go to it automatically with my phone. No other guest has said anything about it. No way would I give router info.

I had a couple tell me - at check-out - that the wifi on the label on the TV did not work. I cannot check it myself because I go to it automatically with my phone. No other guest has said anything about it. No way would I give router info.
You can go into your settings and ‘forget’ your own router. Then you can test it.

Sometimes I'll stand there when guest wants to log in and have them type in password to make sure no issues

Giving anyone your router information is like giving them an engraved invitation to hack your entire network.

I believe the router key number is simply the password. When the cable company installs and you have the sticker on it that gives the router name and password.

Side by side
stand side by side
ask guest to show you
could be totally innocent
but his phone or whatever might need direction
my iPhone pulls up all kinds of networks ... neighbors, stores, before mine ... because my signal is weaker!
one place I work ... I have Guest ‘business’
and then a totally obscure name for the secure login

My networks are broadcast as "guest" and "private" with the business name, hopefully guests can identify vs neighbor's networks. Guest network is initially open, but takes the guest to a "splash screen" where they agree to terms of use and enter a password. Occasionally a guest will have an old device or have their own security set in such a manner that makes a connection difficult. In the past also found the guest "techie" who wanted to change default router DNS provided by our provider to what they thought was a faster connection.

Back