New Research: Americans Hate Social Media Promotions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I'm not an outlier! I have tried to not sell on FB. Kind of easy because I'm not good at selling anyway. I DO 'share' lots of other business' feeds if they are also not selling, just showcasing or highlighting something they have.

OK, so I'm not an outlier! I have tried to not sell on FB. Kind of easy because I'm not good at selling anyway. I DO 'share' lots of other business' feeds if they are also not selling, just showcasing or highlighting something they have..
YEAH BABY!
The stuff I share has to do with the area. I don't like to share personal stuff on there, but feel I need to from time to time, innkeeper stuff. Just like the blog, so they know there are REAL PEOPLE here.
I feel I am an embassador for our whole state. IMO when I share itineraries and such, many guests are coming from O/S or out of state and I want them to plan their stay in our state. It all comes back to us, all of us here. So I do share things from around the state at times, festivals and events.
It is the chicken and egg scenario, if my special gets them here then they can visit other areas.
Oddly enough, other inns want to LIKE each others FB pages, I have found some who have not even set up their pages! What the! How can an innkeeper NOT set up their facebook page? Not even talking about renaming it, but not even adding photos to the page? Seriousely, what planet are these people from. I liked you, now like me. NO. I won't like you, you stink!
Edited to add:
I still hate FB. In case anyone was wondering.
Also edited to add, contests and crap don't increase bookings. Photos seem to be the ONLY WAY TO GO on FB now. Who visits our page and who follows it? Do we have those who stay here follow or those who WANT to stay here follow? Is it just another waste of time.

OK, so I'm not an outlier! I have tried to not sell on FB. Kind of easy because I'm not good at selling anyway. I DO 'share' lots of other business' feeds if they are also not selling, just showcasing or highlighting something they have..
YEAH BABY!
The stuff I share has to do with the area. I don't like to share personal stuff on there, but feel I need to from time to time, innkeeper stuff. Just like the blog, so they know there are REAL PEOPLE here.
I feel I am an embassador for our whole state. IMO when I share itineraries and such, many guests are coming from O/S or out of state and I want them to plan their stay in our state. It all comes back to us, all of us here. So I do share things from around the state at times, festivals and events.
It is the chicken and egg scenario, if my special gets them here then they can visit other areas.
Oddly enough, other inns want to LIKE each others FB pages, I have found some who have not even set up their pages! What the! How can an innkeeper NOT set up their facebook page? Not even talking about renaming it, but not even adding photos to the page? Seriousely, what planet are these people from. I liked you, now like me. NO. I won't like you, you stink!
Edited to add:
Also edited to add, contests and crap don't increase bookings. Photos seem to be the ONLY WAY TO GO on FB now. Who visits our page and who follows it? Do we have those who stay here follow or those who WANT to stay here follow? Is it just another waste of time.
New FB followers for me have fallen into 3 categories: recent guests, soon-to-be guests, people whose FB page I have promoted. And a couple of 'I liked you, now you like me' B&B requests. Nope, not unless I like what I see.
I will not 'friend' innkeepers who only have personal pages. I will unlike B&B's that post slams against their guests.
BTW, I tried to share your new promo but I could not include certain words (like the name of the room) in my share. I had to edit it down to just a short sentence. Not sure why. I haven't had that problem before.

What gets me is all the innkeepers who try to 'friend' my personal page. I just ignore them. No, if I don't know who they are and haven't had some sort of interaction with them, I will NOT accept them as a 'friend' That's what the business page is for. I don't use my personal page very much, but when I do, I certainly don't want hundreds of innkeepers looking at what I'm saying.

YEAH BABY!
Edited to add:
New FB followers for me have fallen into 3 categories: recent guests, soon-to-be guests, people whose FB page I have promoted. And a couple of 'I liked you, now you like me' B&B requests. Nope, not unless I like what I see.
I will not 'friend' innkeepers who only have personal pages. I will unlike B&B's that post slams against their guests.
BTW, I tried to share your new promo but I could not include certain words (like the name of the room) in my share. I had to edit it down to just a short sentence. Not sure why. I haven't had that problem before.
Madeleine said:
I will unlike B&B's that post slams against their guests.
Slams against their guests? I don't understand. That can't mean what it sounds like it means. Nobody with an iota of sense would publicly slam a guest, would they?

YEAH BABY!
Edited to add:
Thanks Maddie. I have found that at times on other shares too. One day you can do this, the next you can't. There is never a rhyme or reason.
You mean like the innkeeper who posts negative comments about their guests on their blog? Or puts down the locals? Yeah way to go!
We can come here and speak anon about bad guests, that is a perk of membership.
pita.gif
But you should not use your inn name on your siggie line when you do it!
Oh a fave I have had was when posting a link to something and having an innkeeper I don't even know who has a FB main photo of himself/herself wearing sloppy sweat pants telling me "You should never share this" Uh, big girl time, my business, my FB page, my information. Odd very odd. Never met the person in my life, not on this forum or anything, telling me what to post or not to post on FB (It was about AirBnB btw).

YEAH BABY!
Edited to add:
Madeleine said:
Slams against their guests? I don't understand. That can't mean what it sounds like it means. Nobody with an iota of sense would publicly slam a guest, would they?
happyjacks said:
Madeleine said:
Oddly, yes they would. This innkeeper is slightly subtle about it on the inn's FB page but it's full steam ahead on the personal page. And now hard is it for a guest to find an innkeeper's personal page? I encourage all of my guests who want to keep in touch via FB to use the inn's page and not try to friend me. I tell them I don't use my FB page for anything other than looking at pix of the grands. And, really, that's about it.
And I don't friend guests. I really don't want to know anything about their personal lives that they don't tell me directly.
I am still trying to get all of my 'likes' of other B&B's over to my inn's page so I can share with my followers what you all are doing. Because on my personal page I have only a few friends, so it wouldn't do you much good if I shared anything with them!

YEAH BABY!
Edited to add:
Thanks Maddie. I have found that at times on other shares too. One day you can do this, the next you can't. There is never a rhyme or reason.
You mean like the innkeeper who posts negative comments about their guests on their blog? Or puts down the locals? Yeah way to go!
We can come here and speak anon about bad guests, that is a perk of membership.
pita.gif
But you should not use your inn name on your siggie line when you do it!
Oh a fave I have had was when posting a link to something and having an innkeeper I don't even know who has a FB main photo of himself/herself wearing sloppy sweat pants telling me "You should never share this" Uh, big girl time, my business, my FB page, my information. Odd very odd. Never met the person in my life, not on this forum or anything, telling me what to post or not to post on FB (It was about AirBnB btw).
I went for the longest time without being able to post a link that also showed the photo associated with it. I had to upload a photo and then put the link in the photo comment in order for both things to show at once. That problem seems to have gone away.

Back