New reservation system needed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camge

Reaction score
Hi, we are looking to switch to a new reservation system from resn-x-s . I know a lot of you use res key, and would love more info on it. If anyone else has a system they love to use I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance. We are only 4 rooms!

I love ResKey - it is affordable for the small B & B (I have 3 rooms). Bells & whistles and reports, add-ons, etc.

We use ResKey for our 8 room motel (at the suggestion of friends here) and find it fits our needs well. I think you can use for a month on trial to see if it fits your ny

We use Web Reserve and also Site Minder. Site Minder closes rooms on Web Reserve when an outside search engine books it. So no more double bookings.

What do you pay for those systems?
I am planning to write my own reservation system because I also want to offer add-ons at the time of reservation like a wine/cheese basket or booking of a massage. But I am curious what these other services are charging.

I am planning to write my own reservation system because I also want to offer add-ons at the time of reservation like a wine/cheese basket or booking of a massage. But I am curious what these other services are charging..
ReservationKey already does that and much more. The monthly fee depends on how many rooms you have - a fair system to me since I have 3 rooms, I am not paying the same as a B & B with 10 rooms.

I am planning to write my own reservation system because I also want to offer add-ons at the time of reservation like a wine/cheese basket or booking of a massage. But I am curious what these other services are charging..
MNVineyardBB said:
I am planning to write my own reservation system because I also want to offer add-ons at the time of reservation like a wine/cheese basket or booking of a massage. But I am curious what these other services are charging.
99% of us do not have the programming chops to write our own code to do reservations. Most systems range from $30 - $120/month. There are also free versions. Depends on what you need.
Many of them do package add ons at time of booking.

Someone else takes care of it, has to worry about it being up 99.999% of the time, handles the SSL, etc. So we can sit back and relax and not have to worry about programming errors, calculation errors, and even guests getting their confirmation.
Sure you can do it all yourself.... but then you have all the headaches, rate lookups and how about the connectivity with OTAs, etc.

What I want I have only found one system that does this and its far too expensive for me (£150 a month) I pay £50 - Feature I want is a way to set up a code for regulars so they always get the same rate ie have various guests who stay regularly and have an expenses limit of say £43 so I want them to be able to go online, see a room press book, put in the code and always get that rate - would save me a lot of faff if they could do it themselves.
Ie George stays every monday £39 room only but sometimes stays sundays and thursdays
Alan stays every monday and tuesday £39 per night with pack up breakfast - sometimes stays tues and wed if its a bank holiday
you get the idea. - I know all the deals, prices and rates but also don't expect that my staff do

What I want I have only found one system that does this and its far too expensive for me (£150 a month) I pay £50 - Feature I want is a way to set up a code for regulars so they always get the same rate ie have various guests who stay regularly and have an expenses limit of say £43 so I want them to be able to go online, see a room press book, put in the code and always get that rate - would save me a lot of faff if they could do it themselves.
Ie George stays every monday £39 room only but sometimes stays sundays and thursdays
Alan stays every monday and tuesday £39 per night with pack up breakfast - sometimes stays tues and wed if its a bank holiday
you get the idea. - I know all the deals, prices and rates but also don't expect that my staff do
Most systems do it, some more precise and some less precise and it always depends on how you set up the rooms. For example, I have my rooms set by name rather than by classified price But ask John at Reskey, because I'm sure it can be done. Here's the Discount code screens for ResKey....
But you can set it up on Reskey with a CODE that only applies to certain rooms and gives them their rate.
Int the first area, you can set the code, but you can even specify if it's only available to people using a special page for booking. Below it, is a section where you can set up the restrictions. In the Advanced settings, you can specify which rooms it can apply to.
ReskeyDiscountScreen1.PNG

ReskeyDiscountScreen2.PNG

MNVineyardBB said:
99% of us do not have the programming chops to write our own code to do reservations. Most systems range from $30 - $120/month. There are also free versions. Depends on what you need.
Many of them do package add ons at time of booking.
Morticia,
Thanks for the info on the pricing. I thought the pricing might be in that ballpark and that's more profit per month then I want to give up. If it had been $12 or $15 I wouldn't bother writing something but there is nothing those sites offer that I can't pretty easily write on my own. So I guess I'll go that route. I have my own mail, web and database servers, too, so I don't pay anything. The only thing I would need is the SSL (security certificate) but that's okay as I can use it for other things, too.

Thanks for the info!

Hi, everyone:
We are in a similar quandry re: new reservation system. I am not sure the new b ed and br eak fast . com service is right for us, and I'm waiting on some answers from them;
1) Since we currently use Web er vations, (owned by them) does that mean that all of our guests who book through Web erv ations are subject to the 18% commission?
2) Do all of our reviews go away if we ditch b ed and br eak fast . com? Yikes!
BTW, I've talked to John at res key and have signed up for the free month trial. I like what I'm seeing so far... he speaks highly of this list and the people on it. Can we stay on b ed and br eak fast . com but drop our current reservation system and change to Res Key?
Any advice? We cancelled our "training" today stating that we need more time.
Redbirdsd

Hi, everyone:
We are in a similar quandry re: new reservation system. I am not sure the new b ed and br eak fast . com service is right for us, and I'm waiting on some answers from them;
1) Since we currently use Web er vations, (owned by them) does that mean that all of our guests who book through Web erv ations are subject to the 18% commission?
BTW, I've talked to John at res key and have signed up for the free month trial. I like what I'm seeing so far... he speaks highly of this list and the people on it. Can we stay on b ed and br eak fast . com but drop our current reservation system and change to Res Key?
Redbirdsd.
We use ResKey. We also have it hooked into MyAllocator and B&B.COM is on that. They get commission only on reservations they handle, so anything direct has no commission.

Hi, everyone:
Redbirdsd.
The new bedandbreakfast model is an OTA. Any reservations thru THAT system, not webervations, are subject to the 18% commission.
If you drop them, yes, you will lose all of the reviews made on there under the old system. You can build up your reviews on other sites to compensate.
Personally, I think you should switch your reservation system away from webervations. It's old and not being updated.
You have to consider how much business bedandbreakfast brings you and whether the 18% commission is worth it to you. If I were using them, I would add an additional 20% to the rate of the rooms listed with them to make up some of the commission.
Also take into consideration their payment policy - when do you get your money? What if the guest cancels, do you get paid anyway?

Hi, everyone:
Redbirdsd.
The new bedandbreakfast model is an OTA. Any reservations thru THAT system, not webervations, are subject to the 18% commission.
If you drop them, yes, you will lose all of the reviews made on there under the old system. You can build up your reviews on other sites to compensate.
Personally, I think you should switch your reservation system away from webervations. It's old and not being updated.
You have to consider how much business bedandbreakfast brings you and whether the 18% commission is worth it to you. If I were using them, I would add an additional 20% to the rate of the rooms listed with them to make up some of the commission.
Also take into consideration their payment policy - when do you get your money? What if the guest cancels, do you get paid anyway?
Nope, not that I am happy, but the commission on B&B.com is 15% the first year less credit card fees. There is no longer any charge for accepting Gift Cards, so am re-enrolled in that program, shall see how it goes. RK is in the midst of upgrading their themes!

Hi, everyone:
Redbirdsd.
Nope, not that I am happy, but the commission on B&B.com is 15% the first year less credit card fees. There is no longer any charge for accepting Gift Cards, so am re-enrolled in that program, shall see how it goes. RK is in the midst of upgrading their themes!
It's 15% for the first year? Is it an automatic renewal like they used to do?
What do you mean by 'less credit card fees'? Do they charge us additional for credit card processing? On top of the 15%?

Hi, everyone:
Redbirdsd.
It's 15% for the first year? Is it an automatic renewal like they used to do?
What do you mean by 'less credit card fees'? Do they charge us additional for credit card processing? On top of the 15%?
You can drop out any time, no inventory requirements. Since they collect the credit card funds, you're saving whatever % in fees, thus reducing the overall 15% commission.

Back