New Signs = Total Lifesavers!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Sign_0.jpg

Here is a pic of the sign and chain we put up to divvy up our patio and give us some additional privacy. I cannot TELL you how much peace of mind this has given us the past few evenings...just knowing that someone will not be pressing their nose up against our living room window!
The screen door that you see behind the spiral staircase, we have not used that door to get into/out of our quarters in the entire 3 years we've been here, we always kept the blinds closed because you never knew who would be coming down that staircase (which comes down from the second floor deck). We put a small chain across the top of that spiral staircase, with a sign that says "Emergency Use Only" so no one will be using them (These chains are all easy to remove in case there ever IS an emergency).
There is now so much light in our puny little quarters, because we've opened up the blinds on that screen door...it's like a whole new place!

When I first saw your picture I was wondering how a chain could give you privacy, until I read about people looking in your windows. People actually did that??! I know people want to see everything, I think that's just human nature, but to actually peer into an unknown window?! YIKES!

We just got a screen door on our place. Amazing difference being able to have that door open and let in some fresh air and sunlight!
Good luck with the signage!

We just got a screen door on our place. Amazing difference being able to have that door open and let in some fresh air and sunlight!
Good luck with the signage!.
Thanks Bree! It's almost as if we're...gasp...human beings!!!
It feels great to do something for ourselves. Honestly, I think it's a good thing all around. Last week we had two lovely guests, and the first time they walked into the back yard they hesitated, they weren't sure if they were "allowed" back there. I think it's crystal clear what area is off limits now.

When I first saw your picture I was wondering how a chain could give you privacy, until I read about people looking in your windows. People actually did that??! I know people want to see everything, I think that's just human nature, but to actually peer into an unknown window?! YIKES!.
Unfortunately, YES! It always shocked me too...even if you thought it was a guest room why would you want to "peek" into it???

huh? I can't see a picture. Can you post a url?
Riki.
Is it showing up now?
InnsiderInfo said:
Is it showing up now?
Yes it is and what a nice patio!
Riki
Well thanx...I promise if anyone from this forum ever comes to visit I will get you an "Employee" badge so you can access the WHOLE patio...
wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
Well thanx...I promise if anyone from this forum ever comes to visit I will get you an "Employee" badge so you can access the WHOLE patio...
wink_smile.gif
Wow...just like studio 54 in the old days....
Riki

I hope it works for you. To me..it still invites them to take a peek. I would have prefered seeing some actual division such as a planter box with a trellis coming up from it..so that they actually couldn't walk through or under or over it:-( Good luck.

I hope it works for you. To me..it still invites them to take a peek. I would have prefered seeing some actual division such as a planter box with a trellis coming up from it..so that they actually couldn't walk through or under or over it:-( Good luck..
catlady said:
I hope it works for you. To me..it still invites them to take a peek. I would have prefered seeing some actual division such as a planter box with a trellis coming up from it..so that they actually couldn't walk through or under or over it:-( Good luck.
I think somewhere down the line that would make the whole area much more relaxing for everyone. This is a great start in peace of mind! I have to say that I wouldn't use my patio if guests were out there anyway. We have nice prickly bushes in front of our windows should anyone choose to try to poke a nose in!

I know it's hard to visualize, but we would never put up anything that would detract from OUR view from this patio (which a planter, wall or anything permanent would do). I totally agree that a chain is not going to keep out anyone determined to get in, but this will stop the casual "Hey, I wonder what's in there..." folks.

Back