New Spam detector

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Due to the ongoing high volume spam attacks that are becoming more common here, I have implemented some new spam detection logic. It analyzes a few things like
  • age of thread
  • duplicate links in a comment or post
  • number of links
  • duplicate posts
It assigns a spam score and if the score is high enough, the website automatically rejects the post. There is fine tuning that needs to be done to make this work, and it is possible that there may be some false rejections. So please let me know if you have even one legitimate post rejected by the system (it will show you a rejection notice) so I can make adjustments.
With your help and a little luck It may result in a lot less spam showing up.
Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance on getting this fine tuned.

didn't get the seosam :-(.
Yah I noticed that.... and I can see from the logs that it blocked a couple of posts from forum regulars. Now I have to figure out why and see what needs adjusting.

I tweaked a couple of things and released a few that got wrongly nabbed as spam (Sorry Flower).

Ah, thanks! I can sleep in now instead of doing 'spam patrol'!

I am not suggesting everyone go anon here, but this is another reason, they can come here and reap the ripened fields and obtain your info publicly. Just a warning. We all know who each other are for the most part, you can add info about your inn here and there without being listed on a directory or sorts. Or add it then remove it later.
Spam is nothing more than a halt in productivity. It is like the forum heckler trying to disturb the ebb and flow of information that most of us find valuable, if not at least entertaining.
I get the same spam from the same lame directories telling me to join for 8 years now, you all know who they are, you get them too. Yes they are in my spam folder, but they are there, always there. And if you are ON a directory you pay for, you get the same "spam" telling you to be featured inn for such and such amount of $ and since you subscribe you have all of those to delete as well...
Fast fingers, delete delete delete

Swirt,
Now you need to work on a B.S. detector.......oh wait, that might eliminate most of my posts.
tounge_smile.gif

You are 'da bomb' as the kids say-thanks for all your hard work and diligence :)

Back