New thread on Ironing sheets - time saver

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread for anyone out there who irons sheets - do you iron the whole top sheet?
I work at a place that just does the top 12-14 inches - saves time and seriously who sees the rest of it? - They climb in and go to sleep (or whatever!)

I only ironed pillow cases and the top edge of my flat sheets that fold over the blanket. No way am I ironing sheets. ANd then I switched to the microfiber ones and then only ironed pillow cases.

I only ironed pillow cases and the top edge of my flat sheets that fold over the blanket. No way am I ironing sheets. ANd then I switched to the microfiber ones and then only ironed pillow cases..
I don't iron sheets. I dry them for a few minutes and while just barely slightly damp, I drape them over the bed and smooth them out with my hands. Even 100% cotton sheets come out like I ironed every inch of them. And no...there is no problem with mildew from the dampness. I run the AC quite liberally, and the sheets are dry and smooth in no time. Then, I come back and tuck everything in. I learned this little trick from one of the megayachts.

I only ironed pillow cases and the top edge of my flat sheets that fold over the blanket. No way am I ironing sheets. ANd then I switched to the microfiber ones and then only ironed pillow cases..
I don't iron sheets. I dry them for a few minutes and while just barely slightly damp, I drape them over the bed and smooth them out with my hands. Even 100% cotton sheets come out like I ironed every inch of them. And no...there is no problem with mildew from the dampness. I run the AC quite liberally, and the sheets are dry and smooth in no time. Then, I come back and tuck everything in. I learned this little trick from one of the megayachts.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
You mustn't put a blanket and quilt over it then like the colder climateers here must do? I have been meaning to ask you about this.

Top 18 inches or so (I have a 2' deep ironing board) of the flat, all of the pillowcases, none of the fitted.
Even with that timesaver they take way too long!!
=)
Kk.

We ironed sheets here. Everything. We did turndown service and you could definitely see more of the top sheet than the top 12 inches. It just made the entire bed nicer. But, if you wanted to cut time you could only iron the top 12 inches or so, I guess. The fitted sheets took the most time anyway but I feel that they make the biggest impression as far as ironing goes. The flat sheets weren't that difficult to iron.

We iron the top third of the fitted sheet on the bed, the top 16" or so of the top sheets that are folded over and the pillow cases. most of our top sheets can be smoothed out by hand if we line dry them. We always have to iron more when they are put in the dryer.

Sanctuary in Miami said:
You mustn't put a blanket and quilt over it then like the colder climateers here must do? I have been meaning to ask you about this.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have decorative coverlets that we put over the beds in lieu of a bedspread, but I put that on after everything is totally dry - usually an hour or so later, depending on humidity present in the air.
For evening turn down, we remove the decorative coverlet and lay out a blanket at the foot of the bed. The AC can make the room quite cold, but the guests can control their AC individually in each stateroom. And some people (I'm one of them) like a cold room with a blanket in the summer. Our thermostats are usually set on 68 or 70, keeping mind we don't have any insulation other than the water below which, in the summer, is about 90 degrees.

?

Do guests realy notice or care about ironed sheets ?
Or is it more about, it's something you must do, think you must do ?
It would be interesting if some of those that do iron sheets did an experiment....don't iron the sheets for a couple weeks....what would the reaction from guests be ? if any reaction at all.

?

It would be interesting if some of those that do iron sheets did an experiment....don't iron the sheets for a couple weeks....what would the reaction from guests be ? if any reaction at all..
I bet they notice but won't say any thing either way. I would notice but I more that likely not say anything as a guest. No one has ever said wow you iron the sheets. They just say wow the sheets are soft.

?

It would be interesting if some of those that do iron sheets did an experiment....don't iron the sheets for a couple weeks....what would the reaction from guests be ? if any reaction at all..
I bet they notice but won't say any thing either way. I would notice but I more that likely not say anything as a guest. No one has ever said wow you iron the sheets. They just say wow the sheets are soft.
We iron sheets here too (top sheets and pillow cases), and while very few folks comment on it specifically, I really do think it adds to the "fresh bed" feeling. I HAVE had a few people remark on it. But yes, I admit I too have wondered if it's really that big a deal -- as long as the sheets are clean and fresh and not badly wrinkled.

?

One Day said:
?

It would be interesting if some of those that do iron sheets did an experiment....don't iron the sheets for a couple weeks....what would the reaction from guests be ? if any reaction at all.
Being an innkeeper, when they are pressed, I surely notice. But when they aren't I really don't think about it. UNLESS, and we have all had this, you pull back the covers to totally wrinkled horrible linens (hotels) and wonder if someone else has slept there.
A couple years on this same topic a few people chuckled at me as I actually iron creases into our pillowcases, they said "We iron OUT creases and you iron them in!" I do, I have a certain fold and certain either box crease or line right down the middle, male one side, female the other (innie and outie) creases.

?

One Day said:
?

Being an innkeeper, when they are pressed, I surely notice. But when they aren't I really don't think about it. UNLESS, and we have all had this, you pull back the covers to totally wrinkled horrible linens (hotels) and wonder if someone else has slept there.
A couple years on this same topic a few people chuckled at me as I actually iron creases into our pillowcases, they said "We iron OUT creases and you iron them in!" I do, I have a certain fold and certain either box crease or line right down the middle, male one side, female the other (innie and outie) creases.
Exactly!

PS Some of the softest loveliest sheets I have ever had were donated to goodwill, if they come out twisted and wrinkled to the max, there is no way in the world I will waste my life on those sheets, I give them away! (I bring them back if I am proactive but usually wash them a few times to get them 'seasoned' for use).
cry_smile.gif
or they end up on my bed if the right size.

?

We iron sheets here too (top sheets and pillow cases), and while very few folks comment on it specifically, I really do think it adds to the "fresh bed" feeling. I HAVE had a few people remark on it. But yes, I admit I too have wondered if it's really that big a deal -- as long as the sheets are clean and fresh and not badly wrinkled.
Yeah.....that fresh bed feeling....I understand that and the ironed sheets do add to that feeling. I'll give you that.
With modern fabrics and the no iron cottons.....
I'm just always considering time saving

?

One Day said:
?

As an old friend of mine said when I found out he irons all his shirts. They don't notice when you do but they sure notice when you don't!
=)
Kk.

We iron the pillowcases and top end of the top sheets. And we place folds into my pillowcases just like JB. Do people notice - I am sure they do. It is a crisp, fresh look to the bed. Do people say anything about the ironed linens, NO. But they do comment on how soft and fresh the bed felt - comfortable.
For me that is all I need to continue.
As far as time savings, the folds in the pillowcases do save time and effort if you have a iron press. Same for the sheets, just fold in a method to be able to feed on the press and work your way through (can be done with just the top as I do, or for the complete sheet).

?

One Day said:
?

As an old friend of mine said when I found out he irons all his shirts. They don't notice when you do but they sure notice when you don't!
=)
Kk.
Yup.....that's true to

Back