New thread on Ironing sheets - time saver

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I stay somewhere, I notice, and I would notice in a different way were it not done, and that keeps me doing it.
wink_smile.gif

I iron pillowcases. I smooth out with my hands as I make the beds. The cotton sheets are line dried as much as possible so they only get fold wrinkles - and I am not a great folder. Am now in the winter sheet season - you do not iron flannel - yippee!! Not even pillowcases.
If someone wants ironed sheets, they are welcome to go to the Greenbrier and pay their rates

My first true idiot move as an innkeeper was purchasing 100% cotton sheets. SO soft and SO impossibly and permanently wrinkled!!!!
Now cotton/poly blend and folded straight out of the dryer...no need to iron.

"Bed and Breakfasts for Dummies" mentions the Mangle iron which I know is a roller device rather than a press. We are considering buying one if our purchase of a turnkey comes off. Anyone using one? Other than cost what other diasadvantages are there? JJ

"Bed and Breakfasts for Dummies" mentions the Mangle iron which I know is a roller device rather than a press. We are considering buying one if our purchase of a turnkey comes off. Anyone using one? Other than cost what other diasadvantages are there? JJ.
flossy said:
"Bed and Breakfasts for Dummies" mentions the Mangle iron which I know is a roller device rather than a press. We are considering buying one if our purchase of a turnkey comes off. Anyone using one? Other than cost what other diasadvantages are there? JJ
MIele makes a great one that lots of innkeepers use. I'm saving up for one. Other than that look for a used Ironrite. Made in the 50s and work great.
RIki

When we wash the sheets, we set the cycle to a "delicate" spin cycle for the top sheets, which means that they come out much wetter and heavier that would otherwise be the case. Then we line dry them--outside, weather permitting. At our elevation and in our dry climate, they dry beautifully, and if the wind is blowing (which is usually is), they rarely need touch-up ironing. I toyed with the idea of advertising "ice-dried" sheets in the wintertime (sort of like "ice-brewed beer"), but Julie persuaded me that this was not a prudent marketing direction.
We always iron our pillowcases and will iron the top-third of flat sheets if they need it. We have "upgraded linens" (i.e. 100% cotton) in one of our suites, and the entire ensemble has to be ironed. Since I'm the sheet nazi, early on I ordained that that suite would have a 2-night minimum because turning the room and washing those sheets (which DW bought off one of those damn shopping channels on the TV) is a half-day affair. Times when we have had a fast flip on it, I've given up on the "upgraded" linens and triple-sheeted the bed around the down duvet.
We have a used Miele rotary iron that I bought off e-bay. It's a mixed blessing. It is almost impossible to iron a pillowcase without having creases in one of the layers of cloth. Maybe a new machine would be better; I have no way of knowing, except that it costs more than I'm willing to spend.
Microfiber sheets.... must look into that.
Tom

"Bed and Breakfasts for Dummies" mentions the Mangle iron which I know is a roller device rather than a press. We are considering buying one if our purchase of a turnkey comes off. Anyone using one? Other than cost what other diasadvantages are there? JJ.
Instead of buying or finding a Mangle, look for a good linen service in the area of your prospective turnkey inn. If it's reasonably priced, you'll be glad that you did.
Words to the wise from someone who ironed all the sheets or paid someone to do it.....
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

thanks Samster.The turnkey is in a tourist destination area with 3 hotels... all 10 mins walk away(not our competition though) so I am sure such a service is readiabily available .My DW agrees with this strategy. She is more of a realist than me and also I plan to work the 1 st 3 days of the week in my "day job". JJ

thanks Samster.The turnkey is in a tourist destination area with 3 hotels... all 10 mins walk away(not our competition though) so I am sure such a service is readiabily available .My DW agrees with this strategy. She is more of a realist than me and also I plan to work the 1 st 3 days of the week in my "day job". JJ.
Well, if you need any more convincing you can email me off the forum and my dh will talk about how he spent many Sunday afternoons helping me iron sheets before I hired paid help! That was after working 40+ hours in his other full-time job.

I was in my largest stateroom yesterday finishing my cleaning and making the bed and I thought of all of you. As many of you know, I never iron sheets. They are 100% cotton, and yet they look like I've pressed them for hours. I wanted to take a photo to share but never got around to it - maybe next time!
Just sayin...if you have the time in turning over a room...that technique I learned for that "looks like you ironed all day" for 100% cotton sheets is unbeatable. I just smooth out the barely damp sheets with my hand and presto! looks perfectly ironed. Every time I walk back into a room to finish the bed, I'm just so impressed with the results and so thankful I learned that.

I only ironed pillow cases and the top edge of my flat sheets that fold over the blanket. No way am I ironing sheets. ANd then I switched to the microfiber ones and then only ironed pillow cases..
I don't iron sheets. I dry them for a few minutes and while just barely slightly damp, I drape them over the bed and smooth them out with my hands. Even 100% cotton sheets come out like I ironed every inch of them. And no...there is no problem with mildew from the dampness. I run the AC quite liberally, and the sheets are dry and smooth in no time. Then, I come back and tuck everything in. I learned this little trick from one of the megayachts.
Oh my sweet lord, if this works you are my new best friend!!! I was looking this up to see how to iron a duvet and now I know this could work for that, too!!!

suellen222 said:
I work at a place that just does the top 12-14 inches - saves time and seriously who sees the rest of it? - They climb in and go to sleep (or whatever!)
That's what we do. DW irons the pillow cases as well. We use Egyptian Cotton sheets and when line dried, they require very little ironing.

?

Do guests realy notice or care about ironed sheets ?
Or is it more about, it's something you must do, think you must do ?
It would be interesting if some of those that do iron sheets did an experiment....don't iron the sheets for a couple weeks....what would the reaction from guests be ? if any reaction at all..
I bet they notice but won't say any thing either way. I would notice but I more that likely not say anything as a guest. No one has ever said wow you iron the sheets. They just say wow the sheets are soft.
People won't notice if you do iron sheets, but I'll bet they would notice if you DIDN'T iron. Sort of like when you don't notice if you DON'T have a headache. Then it would be that one mean review. I did try putting the top sheet on damp & smoothing it out. It wasn't perfect, but pretty darned good. I actually took my iron up there & ironed the top part just a little bit right on the bed. I will do this from now on.

suellen222 said:
I work at a place that just does the top 12-14 inches - saves time and seriously who sees the rest of it? - They climb in and go to sleep (or whatever!)
That's what we do. DW irons the pillow cases as well. We use Egyptian Cotton sheets and when line dried, they require very little ironing..
I'd love to line dry, but I have lots of trees. I can imagine how upset I would be when a bird pooped on it & I had to start over.

Back