New to the Forum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabininn

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My husband and George and I are just beginning the process of establishing a B&B at our cabin. It came at us kind of back door, we bought the cabin for our own private use on the weekends as a get-a-way from the suburban life. Now we have had several people approach us with the idea of renting it from us. I must confess, that I have harboured the dream of owning a bed and breakfast but never really considered it with the cabin, until we were approached to rent it out. I am approaching retirement in about 10 years and have been thinking that this could be my dream come true.
We have been talking to another owner here in the mid-Missouri area and he and his wife have been very helpful in guiding us in this new endeavor. He too owns a cabin that he rents out and is making a tidy profit on and he's been doing it for several years. Please, please give me any advice that you believe would help us. I have already contacted the zoning department in town and I am awaiting a reply to my inquiry. I am hoping that this will not de-rail the process before it gets off the ground. Has anyone ever been denied the opportunity to start a B&B soley determined by their zoning department?
help.gif

Has anyone ever been denied the opportunity to start a B&B soley determined by their zoning department?
Yes.
That said, it doesn't seem like you really have the makings of a B&B here. Why not just do it as a 'self catering' rental and let guests get their own meals? You could set the rentals for one week and have a cleaning service do the clean up, or do that part yourself. If you want the meet & greet part, that can be done when the guests show up and when they leave.
Then again, myabe this is a mistake on my part. Is this a BIG cabin where 3-4 different couples could stay at one time? How would you serve the breakfast in that case unless you live VERY close?
Also, because you have decorated this cabin for yourselves, you may want to think about removing some of the things you really treasure before renting the place out. Accidents happen.
Now, the other thing...these people who have approached you to rent your cabin...are they friends and family? Just asking because friends & family rarely want to pay the going rate...

Has anyone ever been denied the opportunity to start a B&B soley determined by their zoning department?
Yes.
That said, it doesn't seem like you really have the makings of a B&B here. Why not just do it as a 'self catering' rental and let guests get their own meals? You could set the rentals for one week and have a cleaning service do the clean up, or do that part yourself. If you want the meet & greet part, that can be done when the guests show up and when they leave.
Then again, myabe this is a mistake on my part. Is this a BIG cabin where 3-4 different couples could stay at one time? How would you serve the breakfast in that case unless you live VERY close?
Also, because you have decorated this cabin for yourselves, you may want to think about removing some of the things you really treasure before renting the place out. Accidents happen.
Now, the other thing...these people who have approached you to rent your cabin...are they friends and family? Just asking because friends & family rarely want to pay the going rate....
Well Bree, thanks for all the great things to think about and we have actually thought a lot about whay you've mentioned. We were thinking that the "self catering" option would be best for us seeing that the cabin is actually located 25 minutes from home. We were thinking about offering our guests a "Breakfast Basket" which would include locally grown and produced organic fare from here in Mid-Missouri. We thought of including in our reservation packet a breakfast items check-list so that they could choose for themselves what they would like and that would provide them their own options for making breakfast since the cabin has a fully stocked kitchen with everything they would need to cook and clean up after themselves. Then any of the product that they do not use they can take home for themselves, as well as the basket, which will be made by the Amish community that lives in the area.
The cabin is large enough to host anywhere from two to six at this time and has two seperate bedrooms. So it could be rented to a single person, a couple or a small family or two small families. We would have to do the "meet and great" option when the guests come and go. My husband has a little more flexibility in his daily schedule which would allow him to drive out there to drop of keys, etc. I however, would not be available until after work at 5 p.m. or on the weekends.
We have already taken the precaution of moving the family heirlooms out of the cabin since it looks like we might have our first guests in July. We still have a few things that we need to take care of before we would feel comfortable to open it up to guests, like updating the 1950's pink toilet, sink and tub,
wink_smile.gif
adding a whole house water filtration system, having the septic cleaned out and also finishing up some painting that we've conveniently put off.
And as for your last question, the people who have approached us about this are not family or friends, but the family of some of our neighbors who live by the cabin who visit from Florida a couple of times a year.
So....back to my original question. Since maybe it doesn't look like what I'm trying to start is a "real" B&B, do you think then that we would have any problems with the zoning issue? I guess, I'd really like to hear from anyone who did have those problems, but overcame them.....and how they did that. Just in case we hear bad news from the zoning department.
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!

Yes.
Now, the other thing...these people who have approached you to rent your cabin...are they friends and family? Just asking because friends & family rarely want to pay the going rate....
Well Bree, thanks for all the great things to think about and we have actually thought a lot about whay you've mentioned. We were thinking that the "self catering" option would be best for us seeing that the cabin is actually located 25 minutes from home. We were thinking about offering our guests a "Breakfast Basket" which would include locally grown and produced organic fare from here in Mid-Missouri. We thought of including in our reservation packet a breakfast items check-list so that they could choose for themselves what they would like and that would provide them their own options for making breakfast since the cabin has a fully stocked kitchen with everything they would need to cook and clean up after themselves. Then any of the product that they do not use they can take home for themselves, as well as the basket, which will be made by the Amish community that lives in the area.
The cabin is large enough to host anywhere from two to six at this time and has two seperate bedrooms. So it could be rented to a single person, a couple or a small family or two small families. We would have to do the "meet and great" option when the guests come and go. My husband has a little more flexibility in his daily schedule which would allow him to drive out there to drop of keys, etc. I however, would not be available until after work at 5 p.m. or on the weekends.
We have already taken the precaution of moving the family heirlooms out of the cabin since it looks like we might have our first guests in July. We still have a few things that we need to take care of before we would feel comfortable to open it up to guests, like updating the 1950's pink toilet, sink and tub,
wink_smile.gif
adding a whole house water filtration system, having the septic cleaned out and also finishing up some painting that we've conveniently put off.
And as for your last question, the people who have approached us about this are not family or friends, but the family of some of our neighbors who live by the cabin who visit from Florida a couple of times a year.
So....back to my original question. Since maybe it doesn't look like what I'm trying to start is a "real" B&B, do you think then that we would have any problems with the zoning issue? I guess, I'd really like to hear from anyone who did have those problems, but overcame them.....and how they did that. Just in case we hear bad news from the zoning department.
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
Cabininn said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Even without it being a B&B, zoning could be a problem for you. As an example, we own a small house in town which we may move into after we sell our inn but in the meantime is a rental. I would love to rent it out as a self-service cottage and could market it easily with our B&B, but it is zoned R-1, which in this town does not allow for transient (less than 30 days) rentals. So you still need to get the question answered, and then if you want to move forward you can apply for a variance or change of zoning through whatever channels are set up for that in your jurisdiction. Some towns welcome those kind of enterprises and others do not.

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
Cabininn said:
wink_smile.gif
Unless the toilet was in bad shape I really love those old colored 1950s toilets and sinks. I would actually love a place that had those still intact. I have the turquoise 1950s toilet, sink and tub with the yellow and black tiles around the tub. Love it. They made stuff to last in those days.

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
I have to agree with oceans...if you have a vintage bathroom, keep it. As long as the appliances all work, are clean and not cracked, then really play up the kitsch!

Is the cabin in a city limits? Does the county have zoning if not in city? I think of cabin as bring off in the woods.

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif
This is a great place to learn and meet other innkeepers inn the know. I have been out of town and busy preparing this place for sale.

Welcome...and YES you can be turned down by zoning. That is the first place you want to check BEFORE you do ANYTHING.
We have over 250 rental cabins here in our county and it amazes me that people think they are going to make a fortune off a cabin. The ones who do it right and have kept up their places and really care about them are the ones that seem to do the best. The ones that have the "build it and they will come" philosphy think that is all they have to do. GRRR.. There are places I have seen that I would not want to put my head in their bed:-(
To me..it doens't sound like you really want to do a B & B, but a rental cabin and provide breakfast supplies????? Why bother? But that could be an option to offer if your renters would want it.
So first things first...find out if you can do it before you go any further.

Hi and welcome. I am in Missouri also. I will be opening a Bed and Breakfst very soon at Mark Twain Lake. Where are you located? Do you belong to the BBIM?

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
I have to agree with oceans...if you have a vintage bathroom, keep it. As long as the appliances all work, are clean and not cracked, then really play up the kitsch!
I have to disagree about the vintage bathroom. People want updated. When you see remodel jobs you never see them making it look like something from the 50's. I think there's a reason for that! :D

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
I have to disagree about the vintage bathroom. People want updated. When you see remodel jobs you never see them making it look like something from the 50's. I think there's a reason for that! :D
If people really want updated are they going to be renting a cabin in the woods?

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
If people really want updated are they going to be renting a cabin in the woods?
It's not going to hurt to update it since after all, it is their vacation cabin they use so I'm sure they'd like to update it anyway.
Buttttttt, if people don't want updated and some goodies they'll probably pitch a tent instead.

Renting out a cabin and operating a bed and breakfast are two different things.

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
It's not going to hurt to update it since after all, it is their vacation cabin they use so I'm sure they'd like to update it anyway.
Buttttttt, if people don't want updated and some goodies they'll probably pitch a tent instead.
I love some period detail. As long as everything works and the place is clean, the old style decor is fun and whimsical. Everything 'updated' now is sterile, granite, marble and very uninviting. I would not be pitching a tent if someone said the bathroom was retro or period. There are some people who think old stuff is fun and reminiscent of what they grew up with.

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
I love some period detail. As long as everything works and the place is clean, the old style decor is fun and whimsical. Everything 'updated' now is sterile, granite, marble and very uninviting. I would not be pitching a tent if someone said the bathroom was retro or period. There are some people who think old stuff is fun and reminiscent of what they grew up with.
Yeah...one of our bathrooms is straight out of the 60;s Pink tile, pink fixtures....all in perfect condition. I would never replace them...but i am sure someone after us probably will.

Yes.
wink_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!
My kitchen was last "updated" in 1952 and the owner's bathroom is in process as I type. We have the original tub & sink still because they are in good shape (and it was going to cost too much to get the tub out to replace it with a shower stall). The throne was replaced a couple years ago because the flusher broke in such a way that it could not be fixed - and old knees like height anyway. I like the old look. It fits the house and when I DO update my kitchen, the update will be new paint on walls, ceiling, and cupboards. It is the "old" of the house my guests like. As for a cabin, to find a 2009 bathroom in a cabin would be disapointing. I just want it to work and be inside - not out back!

welcome.gif
They do a lot of unattended cabins/cottages in Texas with either a breakfast basket delivered or breakfast left in a fridge and it works well. They do call them Bed and Breakfasts there. Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Back