New TV

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem being, when you need it you need it now. I ordered something on line after findning the best deal, and what surprise, the usual "Out of stock we have ordered it for you" I think they order EVERYTHING these days, nothing is iN STOCK.
At times you have to put it in your hands and then return it and get the right one - now.

Problem being, when you need it you need it now. I ordered something on line after findning the best deal, and what surprise, the usual "Out of stock we have ordered it for you" I think they order EVERYTHING these days, nothing is iN STOCK.
At times you have to put it in your hands and then return it and get the right one - now..
Sometimes time is more important then cost. Amazon is probably the slowest. Newegg is always fast. Monoprice surprised me with how fast they were since shipping was cheap.
I aways stock up on cables and other things I need since I know I or a friend will need them sooner or later.

At times you have to put it in your hands and then return it and get the right one - now..
Sometimes time is more important then cost. Amazon is probably the slowest. Newegg is always fast. Monoprice surprised me with how fast they were since shipping was cheap.
I aways stock up on cables and other things I need since I know I or a friend will need them sooner or later.
like plumbing parts and the bits that go inside toilets and shower holder bits

Rook217 said:
Redundancy, that is owning a B&B in a nutshell. :) I bought two new lamps today and when I went to get the special bulbs we were out, we have 25 different other types of bulbs - being an old house and needing so many diff types, but not these ones!
DH ordered some supplements online not an hour ago, and voila everything in stock until he placed the order and one item will have to be backordered, but not to worry, we won't charge you more shipping for that one item we said we had but now don't. It is the theme now, and I understand why.
Have shopped newegg forever and also love buy.com, Amazon is never fast for us where we are. Used to be on the other coast, now it is slow as molasses going up hill in winter.

I am an ebay convert as in the UK a lot of companies are using it to sell new stuff and cos they have no or little overheads they are a lot cheaper. However you don't have to need it right now.

New innfo for you! Google Roku and learn more about how you can get streaming video with a wireless Internet network. I can't remember how many TV channels you have or if you have cable TV for the guests. I would definitely NOT get a TV with a built in DVD player as technology is changing so quickly. We had no problem with guests figuring out how to work the TVs & separate players in 7 different rooms. imvvho it's better if you're spending money on a flat-screen TV that you get one that has good reviews and won't go kaput after the manufacturer's warranty is up.

New innfo for you! Google Roku and learn more about how you can get streaming video with a wireless Internet network. I can't remember how many TV channels you have or if you have cable TV for the guests. I would definitely NOT get a TV with a built in DVD player as technology is changing so quickly. We had no problem with guests figuring out how to work the TVs & separate players in 7 different rooms. imvvho it's better if you're spending money on a flat-screen TV that you get one that has good reviews and won't go kaput after the manufacturer's warranty is up..
There is a great article about buying new TV / LCD/ PLASMA/3d etc etc. in Consumer Reports this month. Ya know...we were early adopters...we bought our Sony Bravia like the week they came out....$3,000!!!! Now the same TV...4 years later is $800...YOWSA...but we love ours and we needed one then..so we did it!
Actually the customer satisfaction rate the flat screens is very high. Consumer reports says very little problems with them. The ones that broke early on were covered by warranties for the most part. Not much problem after that. That's what they say....not me.
embaressed_smile.gif

New innfo for you! Google Roku and learn more about how you can get streaming video with a wireless Internet network. I can't remember how many TV channels you have or if you have cable TV for the guests. I would definitely NOT get a TV with a built in DVD player as technology is changing so quickly. We had no problem with guests figuring out how to work the TVs & separate players in 7 different rooms. imvvho it's better if you're spending money on a flat-screen TV that you get one that has good reviews and won't go kaput after the manufacturer's warranty is up..
There is a great article about buying new TV / LCD/ PLASMA/3d etc etc. in Consumer Reports this month. Ya know...we were early adopters...we bought our Sony Bravia like the week they came out....$3,000!!!! Now the same TV...4 years later is $800...YOWSA...but we love ours and we needed one then..so we did it!
Actually the customer satisfaction rate the flat screens is very high. Consumer reports says very little problems with them. The ones that broke early on were covered by warranties for the most part. Not much problem after that. That's what they say....not me.
embaressed_smile.gif

Yup, laughed when it came in the mail the other day! Should just have waited to read the reviews.

We bought the flat panel with built in DVD players and so far so good.The builtin player really adds to the cost though..
I recommend separate DVD players. Like Todd said, it adds to the cost of the TV and if it goes out, you have to buy a separate one anyway. Make sure you get Blu-ray, as some travelers will only have them.
Gingerbread Latte said:
I recommend separate DVD players. Like Todd said, it adds to the cost of the TV and if it goes out, you have to buy a separate one anyway. Make sure you get Blu-ray, as some travelers will only have them.
We have had the TV/DVD combo for three years and no problems. To me, the hassle of getting them to work together and the space the additional DVD player would take is not worth it. I have a small library of movies and guests use them all the time. Some guests on their anniversary bring their wedding DVD to watch. If I were concered about them working I would just buy the long term warranty.
The tvs were not expensive - they are only 19 inch and hang on the wall. They get about 4 channels with the antenna. They were about $300 at Best Buy, I think. As mentioned before the sound does not go up very loud due to the way it is placed, but that is to me an assett so they don't bother the other rooms
I have the large tv with the satelite connection in the library for those who want to watch something special.
Works for me. Everyone is happy.
RIki
egoodell said:
The tvs were not expensive - they are only 19 inch and hang on the wall. They get about 4 channels with the antenna. They were about $300 at Best Buy, I think. As mentioned before the sound does not go up very loud due to the way it is placed, but that is to me an assett so they don't bother the other rooms
I have the large tv with the satelite connection in the library for those who want to watch something special.
Works for me. Everyone is happy.
RIki
When you hung them on the wall, did you build it in or does the cord show? We need to convert to flat screens and I want to hang a couple, but I can't really build it into the wall.
For those of you who have them mounted, how did you deal with the cord?
One is hung above a fireplace and there was a plug right there. The other is not hung but on a dresser so the cord does not show.
Riki

Back