New TV

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We need to buy a new TV for a guest room. (What do they DO in there???) What is a good size for a bedroom? We'll be getting a flat panel instead of the old $99 box at stuffmart. I estimate the guests are about 5' from the TV sitting in the chairs and up to 20' from the TV lying in bed if that helps with the size reqs.
Do you have a favorite model? We looked at this one already but would like opinions.
LG 32ld350
We do not have High Def service, but it might be better to be prepared for it. Or not? What's your opinion on how an HD TV looks in 'mono'?
Please offer advice on mounting equipment and all of that as well. At present the old TV is just sitting on the dresser. We need to enclose the wires as well. Info on that appreciated.
Would you provide a DVD or not? We don't have a DVD library so it's not really important, just wondering.

The only other thing you might want to consider is whether to get a model with a built-in DVD player.

Our son has that model (or similar) and does not have cable. He uses it with his Playstation that he had where he can access Internet and play Blue Ray and DVDs via the PS. He only has wireless internet supplied free in his apartment as an amenity, so bought some kind of antennae/adapter (around $30). I think he can send Hulu and Vudu via his laptop as well.
We have the Internet ready model of that and can download shows via the Internet directly, as well as NetFlix. We have a DVD/VHS combo unit hooked up to it. It was well worth the extra money as we try to get off of cable charges. :)
They're slim enough to sit on a dresser. We found that a swivel stand worked the best for flat screen TVs here and could accommodate the DVD/VHS player. The wires weren't that big of a deal, I don't think.
Refresh rate is important...I didn't look closely to see what your model has but I know that we paid a bit more for that as it affects the quality of the picture.
Be sure to plug it into a good surge protector. We had one wiped out when we had the lightning strike...more sensitive than old time TVs.

I have the flat panel non HD with built in DVD players, avail for around $340 or less, various brands never had an issue

if you dont have a dvd library-they can bring their own until you can slowly add one-just a thought.

Problem with the flat panels....................speaker placement
Some are on sides, some face down....some are in the back
If not ussing surround sound.......speakers that face forward are the best bet............will keep sound levels reasonable

We bought the flat panel with built in DVD players and so far so good.The builtin player really adds to the cost though.

We bought the flat panel with built in DVD players and so far so good.The builtin player really adds to the cost though..
I recommend separate DVD players. Like Todd said, it adds to the cost of the TV and if it goes out, you have to buy a separate one anyway. Make sure you get Blu-ray, as some travelers will only have them.

We bought the flat panel with built in DVD players and so far so good.The builtin player really adds to the cost though..
I recommend separate DVD players. Like Todd said, it adds to the cost of the TV and if it goes out, you have to buy a separate one anyway. Make sure you get Blu-ray, as some travelers will only have them.
Gingerbread Latte said:
We have had the TV/DVD combo for three years and no problems. To me, the hassle of getting them to work together and the space the additional DVD player would take is not worth it. I have a small library of movies and guests use them all the time. Some guests on their anniversary bring their wedding DVD to watch. If I were concered about them working I would just buy the long term warranty.
The tvs were not expensive - they are only 19 inch and hang on the wall. They get about 4 channels with the antenna. They were about $300 at Best Buy, I think. As mentioned before the sound does not go up very loud due to the way it is placed, but that is to me an assett so they don't bother the other rooms
I have the large tv with the satelite connection in the library for those who want to watch something special.
Works for me. Everyone is happy.
RIki

I have to buy 12 for here so I am really shopping around for a bargain. One of the big supermarkets does ones that have been returned and tested as fine but can't be sold as new so just got a brand new one with a year warrenty for $170, so that is 11 to go.

Gingerbread Latte said:
We have had the TV/DVD combo for three years and no problems. To me, the hassle of getting them to work together and the space the additional DVD player would take is not worth it. I have a small library of movies and guests use them all the time. Some guests on their anniversary bring their wedding DVD to watch. If I were concered about them working I would just buy the long term warranty.
The tvs were not expensive - they are only 19 inch and hang on the wall. They get about 4 channels with the antenna. They were about $300 at Best Buy, I think. As mentioned before the sound does not go up very loud due to the way it is placed, but that is to me an assett so they don't bother the other rooms
I have the large tv with the satelite connection in the library for those who want to watch something special.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
When you hung them on the wall, did you build it in or does the cord show? We need to convert to flat screens and I want to hang a couple, but I can't really build it into the wall.
For those of you who have them mounted, how did you deal with the cord?

Gingerbread Latte said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
When you hung them on the wall, did you build it in or does the cord show? We need to convert to flat screens and I want to hang a couple, but I can't really build it into the wall.
We'll be using electrical conduit. There are decorative types in different colors.

Gingerbread Latte said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
We have bought white coxail (don't know about the spelling) ie cable from TV to arial and the put those plastic clip things to pin them tightly and tidily against the wall but we did try to put them near the tv socket so less cables where possible.

Gingerbread Latte said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
My husand just bound them all together with those electrical ties. You can't build everything into the wall. If you are using wall hanger mountings I don't think you can avoid having some of the wiring show...I think it is ok I don't see why it all has to be hidden. Just my opinion:) IT doesn't bother me to see some wires.

Gingerbread Latte said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Deleted..sorry...hit the key too fast. DUplicate

Gingerbread Latte said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
My husand just bound them all together with those electrical ties. You can't build everything into the wall. If you are using wall hanger mountings I don't think you can avoid having some of the wiring show...I think it is ok I don't see why it all has to be hidden. Just my opinion:) IT doesn't bother me to see some wires.
One option if you want to minimize the wires that would be seen is to use “Cable Raceways”. These are basically plastic or metal conduit that would be attached to the wall and then the cables could go through it. It doesn’t hide the cables but it does look cleaner then just the cables.

Regardless of what brand you buy most of the parts come from the same factories so I would just stick with any name brand TV. It should be 1080p and at least 60hz for the refresh rate. Anything more that 60hz for a refresh rate will not be very noticeable unless you have it hooked up to a fast computer or plan on getting a TV larger then 40+ inches. I used to work for a major electronics retailer and buy way to many electronics.

Since this is on subject some good places to get cords and mounts at are:
newegg.com Monoprice.com Amazon.com (I buy stuff all the time from these places)
Most brick and morter retailers charge way to much for the accessories. However I would probably not buy a TV from an online retailer unless they have a really good return policy.

Back