New washer & dryer...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...are here! Yippee! First load is in now. It's all electronic so it has lights everywhere. It's fairly dark in the laundry room without any overhead lights on so we looked in at it sitting there, quietly humming away and both said, 'We should give it a name.' And immediately we both said, 'Hal'.
Then laughed hysterically.
Once it has gone thru a cycle I'll post the brand and my opinions. I'll wait because I wasn't too impressed when it started up. It didn't seem like there was any water in it at all when it started the wash cycle and I never noticed any sudsing at all. That could be operator error.

with a front loader you don't use much water and don't need to see a bunch of suds either..that is all part of the energy savings:) I will be anxious to hear... a new one is sure to be in my future sometime soon:)

with a front loader you don't use much water and don't need to see a bunch of suds either..that is all part of the energy savings:) I will be anxious to hear... a new one is sure to be in my future sometime soon:).
catlady said:
with a front loader you don't use much water and don't need to see a bunch of suds either..that is all part of the energy savings:) I will be anxious to hear... a new one is sure to be in my future sometime soon:)
Right now it is spinning and I can hear it vibrating all the way over at my desk. NOT a good sign. They didn't tighten everything down enough. THAT noise will make me nuts.

Yes, let us know the brand by all means if you like it. I have to say that Fisher Paykel washer that I have in the 2nd house has turned out to be great. It's a top loader but the low water usage is really something. I like that I can use the same detergent as my other washer (All Free & Clear liquid) so no need to get 2 different kinds. Everything is almost dry when it comes out of there. The spin cycle is very fast. Very short drying time,too.

Bree, I'm so excited for you!
Our current w/d had to fit into a ripped-out-shower hole, so they're miniscule. The washer sings "Ode to Joy" whenever it finishes a load (we cannot figure out how to reset it), and if you put more than 2 towels in, it'll take hours to finish because it gets thrown off balance every 5 minutes and starts from the top of the cycle when you re-balance it.
Can't wait to have a functional w/d. I think that'll be the deciding factor in our B&B hunt--if it's got a good w/d it'll be a sign!!! If we see a mangle, we're writing a check then and there.

Our current w/d had to fit into a ripped-out-shower hole, so they're miniscule. The washer sings "Ode to Joy" whenever it finishes a load (we cannot figure out how to reset it), and if you put more than 2 towels in, it'll take hours to finish because it gets thrown off balance every 5 minutes and starts from the top of the cycle when you re-balance it.
Can't wait to have a functional w/d. I think that'll be the deciding factor in our B&B hunt--if it's got a good w/d it'll be a sign!!! If we see a mangle, we're writing a check then and there..
stephanie said:
Can't wait to have a functional w/d. I think that'll be the deciding factor in our B&B hunt--if it's got a good w/d it'll be a sign!!! If we see a mangle, we're writing a check then and there.
That's where my washer/dryer are...an old 'shower hole'! It does play some sort of tune when it's done, but I hadn't noticed it was 'Ode to Joy'!

Our new set is an LG all electronic. Works well until it decides to empty all the water onto the floor instead of the drain... or until something else happens and it tries to tell me what is wrong, but the instructions are in Spanish :s and the codes make no sense.
But, other than that, I am really quite pleased with them. The washer does not use much water, and seems to do a really really good job. Spins almost dry. Have been able to figure out most of the buttons and cycles that I need and the rest is for one of those rainly days when I have nothing better to do ... lol wonder what day that will be.

Our new set is an LG all electronic. Works well until it decides to empty all the water onto the floor instead of the drain... or until something else happens and it tries to tell me what is wrong, but the instructions are in Spanish :s and the codes make no sense.
But, other than that, I am really quite pleased with them. The washer does not use much water, and seems to do a really really good job. Spins almost dry. Have been able to figure out most of the buttons and cycles that I need and the rest is for one of those rainly days when I have nothing better to do ... lol wonder what day that will be..
Cathy said:
But, other than that, I am really quite pleased with them. The washer does not use much water, and seems to do a really really good job. Spins almost dry. Have been able to figure out most of the buttons and cycles that I need and the rest is for one of those rainly days when I have nothing better to do ... lol wonder what day that will be.
Do you have the manual? Mine is in English & Spanish, which always cracks me up. More people speak French here than Spanish. And my dishwasher box? 'Lavaplatas' which I thought was a hoot. 'Wash plates' what a great translation!

But, other than that, I am really quite pleased with them. The washer does not use much water, and seems to do a really really good job. Spins almost dry. Have been able to figure out most of the buttons and cycles that I need and the rest is for one of those rainly days when I have nothing better to do ... lol wonder what day that will be..
Cathy said:
Do you have the manual? Mine is in English & Spanish, which always cracks me up. More people speak French here than Spanish. And my dishwasher box? 'Lavaplatas' which I thought was a hoot. 'Wash plates' what a great translation!
We do have a manual, totally in Spanish. Had to get someone to read it when the washer just would not run. Some how (doh) the child lock was pressed. lol
Not sure why they would not include an English version, but we will take time one day to read it, we can do it, but it just takes more time than if it was in English. :s Time to learn new terminology.

Cathy said:
We do have a manual, totally in Spanish. Had to get someone to read it when the washer just would not run. Some how (doh) the child lock was pressed. lol
Not sure why they would not include an English version, but we will take time one day to read it, we can do it, but it just takes more time than if it was in English. :s Time to learn new terminology.
The manual is online, too...

Cathy said:
The manual is online, too...
doh ... I usually always look. Thank you for reminding me. Have NO idea why I didn't think of it. Oh I blame something, just can't think of what that something is right now. :s

Can't wait to have a functional w/d. I think that'll be the deciding factor in our B&B hunt--if it's got a good w/d it'll be a sign!!! If we see a mangle, we're writing a check then and there..
Sigh...I was ironing today until I could't sand it anymore. I wish I had room for a mangle!!!

Did you run it through a cycle without any clothes in it, first? Just with soap? Most, if not all, come from the factory with an oily substance coating everything to keep rust and corrosion at bay while it's in transit, sitting in a warehouse, etc. You gotta wash that stuff off of the inside by running it empty first.
I still love my Bosch units that I just got.

Did you run it through a cycle without any clothes in it, first? Just with soap? Most, if not all, come from the factory with an oily substance coating everything to keep rust and corrosion at bay while it's in transit, sitting in a warehouse, etc. You gotta wash that stuff off of the inside by running it empty first.
I still love my Bosch units that I just got..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I still love my Bosch units that I just got.
Of course not. I was thinking I would do just towels (my own) but I did sheets. They looked fine when they came out. I do think hubs did that with the dishwasher, tho...just water and the soap stuff that goes in there.

Bree said:
'We should give it a name.' And immediately we both said, 'Hal'.
Just what do you think you're doing, Bree?
Actually, I've never seen that movie but dh has quoted it sooooo many times in the past 20 years!
=)
Kk.

So what's the verdict, do you like it?.
swirt said:
So what's the verdict, do you like it?
It has a really BIG door opening but that's about the difference from what I had before. (Well, this one WORKS, that's a big diff!) I can still only get 2 sets of sheets in it. (4.3 cu ft capacity) It still wrinkles the heck out of everything. Everything is still tangled and the stuff in the middle of the tangle is still wet out of the dryer. So, nothing different. I guess I have to wait until I have a comforter to clean and see how that comes out.
I did sheets yesterday and pulled one sheet and they all fell on the floor. Again, nothing different from before. I guess I was expecting magically that a bigger washer & dryer would mean an end to the tangles and everything falling on the floor. Still, I have been able to bake while the laundry is running and I'm not sitting in the laundromat all afternoon.
I've tried the sanitizer cycle. 2 hours. Not sure if it's worth it. Maybe if it was another pee party, I could use that. Everything is clean as far as I can see, so I'm happy about that.
The installation left something to be desired because it squeaks something fierce while tumbling the wash. I'm going ot have to jam something in there between the washer & dryer (they're stacked).

swirt said:
It has a really BIG door opening but that's about the difference from what I had before. (Well, this one WORKS, that's a big diff!) I can still only get 2 sets of sheets in it. (4.3 cu ft capacity) It still wrinkles the heck out of everything. Everything is still tangled and the stuff in the middle of the tangle is still wet out of the dryer. So, nothing different. I guess I have to wait until I have a comforter to clean and see how that comes out.
I did sheets yesterday and pulled one sheet and they all fell on the floor. Again, nothing different from before. I guess I was expecting magically that a bigger washer & dryer would mean an end to the tangles and everything falling on the floor. Still, I have been able to bake while the laundry is running and I'm not sitting in the laundromat all afternoon.
I've tried the sanitizer cycle. 2 hours. Not sure if it's worth it. Maybe if it was another pee party, I could use that. Everything is clean as far as I can see, so I'm happy about that.
The installation left something to be desired because it squeaks something fierce while tumbling the wash. I'm going ot have to jam something in there between the washer & dryer (they're stacked).
I apologize if I've missed it, but are you willing to reveal the brand?

swirt said:
IronGate said:
Nope, you din't miss it, I didn't mention it...
LG

Bree said:
'We should give it a name.' And immediately we both said, 'Hal'.
Just what do you think you're doing, Bree?
Actually, I've never seen that movie but dh has quoted it sooooo many times in the past 20 years!
=)
Kk..
What movie are you talking about?
I thought for sure "Hal" was short for Hallelujah!

Back