New web host suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
I'm thinking of redoing my website in wordpress. My current host doesn't support wp so I have to change to a new one. Any recommendations?
Also, should I transfer my current site to the new host right away or should I wait until the new wp website is ready?
Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I transferred my old site to the new web host first. Want to be sure you don't get held hostage by the old web host. Then you can develop the new site and redirect all your old page names to the new WP format immediately after your new site launches. The page names (ie - rooms.html) will not be the same in WP. They don't use html.

I was pointed to 1and1.com by someone we all appreciate. It costs me $14.97 per quarter. I can be this precise because I just got the invoice.

tounge_smile.gif
All I know is I am excited to see your new site with so many great photos you are sharing on FB.

We're using HostGator. They are probably not the least expensive, but seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck, and we've been very happy with them.

We're using HostGator. They are probably not the least expensive, but seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck, and we've been very happy with them..
Harborfields said:
We're using HostGator. They are probably not the least expensive, but seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck, and we've been very happy with them.
Ditto. For $10/month, I can have an unlimited number of domains. I have to pay for the domain itself, obviously, but HG will host as many as I want. Want to try a new website, without giving up the old one? Go ahead; test and see what works best. (Because, you know, you have nothing else to do!) If you hear from guests that they often misspell your URL, buy the "bad" one, and just point it to your real one.

tounge_smile.gif
All I know is I am excited to see your new site with so many great photos you are sharing on FB..
Joey Bloggs said:
tounge_smile.gif
All I know is I am excited to see your new site with so many great photos you are sharing on FB.
Thanks JB! That's a big reason why I want it done in WP -- so I can control/add photos and other content myself. My current webmaster is also my husband and it's the perfect example of the cobbler's shoeless children (my site is always last on the list). I don't know html and he doesn't trust me not to mess it all up if I try to go in with Dreamweaver to update and fix things.
He's never done a WP site, though, so this will be a learning curve for both of us. Experience tells me this will not be fun!

tounge_smile.gif
All I know is I am excited to see your new site with so many great photos you are sharing on FB..
Joey Bloggs said:
tounge_smile.gif
Thanks JB! That's a big reason why I want it done in WP -- so I can control/add photos and other content myself. My current webmaster is also my husband and it's the perfect example of the cobbler's shoeless children (my site is always last on the list). I don't know html and he doesn't trust me not to mess it all up if I try to go in with Dreamweaver to update and fix things.
He's never done a WP site, though, so this will be a learning curve for both of us. Experience tells me this will not be fun!
happyjacks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tounge_smile.gif
He will work it out just fine! Being a template and using consistent fonts/styles make it worthwhile. Let it lead you to the use/add the simple features and then make bigger changes later on. I think that is worthwhile advice. There are a ton of tutorials on youtube and we have our resident expert Catlady who has created dozens and dozens of WP sites.
I still use my separate blog (but have the url tied in with the website), and keep WP the website, as I have this secret conspiracy theory idea about Google running the world, so I am sticking with Blogger, which also sticks with Google Plus and a ton of other sites now... Any time I click on something, in the last month really "Do you want to sign in with your G+ or @gmail?" Well, okay I will...

I can't recommend Bluehost enough.
1.) Great phone tech support - people from the US, barely any wait time, very friendly and helpful.
2.) I've been using them since 2009 and haven't looked back
3.) Bluehost never goes down unlike GoDaddy which has had many problems.
4.) Their rates for purchasing a domain and yearly hosting fee are reasonable and competitive with other hosts like Hostgator.
5.) Their control panel is very easy to use and intuitive.
The only downfall: They have recently changed their online tech support, so the waiting time to talk to someone online is a bit longer, but their live phone support is OUTSTANDING. I use bluehost on my website, and websites of clients, and always get a thank you for recommending them.
Here's the link to bluehost
Good luck!
- Laur

Back