New Webervations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
DH has finished adding most of the new things to our website to make Webervations look more like it did for us. It is possible to do, but there are definitely some quirks. There are still some bugs in their stuff as well - as an example, I had an email at 7:30 this morning for a reseration today. My configuration settings were supposed to not allow reservations within one day, but they do. I've talked with them to find out it is truly a bug and not operator error.
So, if you're ready to switch just be forewarned that there are still some kinks in the system.
Jeanne

Did they give you an idea of when they plan should have that bug fixed?

Did they give you an idea of when they plan should have that bug fixed?.
No. I can work around it, so I didn't push but if anyone wants to stop reservations earlier than midnight of the previous night, they will have a problem. Since it actually resulted in a reservation for me, I have updated my settings (and my way of thinking) - I now have it set to stop taking same-day reservations at 8:00 a.m. That way, anybody checking in that day will have to call me, and I can manage my time better - but anyone looking the night before can do an online booking and NOT call in the middle of the night. Can you tell the phone rang at midnight last night?
Jeanne

I had a website customer contact me this evening regarding an issue with switching from old to new webervations so I'll pass along what I know so far for the benefit of anyone going through the switch.
The problem with switching from the older version to the newer version is that the address that gets you to the newer version is different, so you have to change the links to your reservations / book now / request reservation or whatever you call it on your site. That part is no big deal. The bigger problem is that you have to go to every directory you are listed with and check to see if they have a make reservation link and make sure it is also changed to the new system...then after it gets changed you have to verify that it works.
Right now there seems to be a problem with bbonline's implimentation (though I'm not sure where the fault lies, could be the owner, webervations, or bbonline, or some combination - I should know more later) My client changed the link in their bbonline account to point to the new location, so the direct link works fine. However if you use bbonline's availability search and search for a specific date to stay, when the list of available rooms is returned, the "Book Now!" links points to the old version of webervations and generates an error if you click on it (if your webervations is now using the new system)
bbonline-webervations.gif

If you have switched to the newer version of webervations and you have a bbonline listing, you should double check that all your reservation system links are pointing the right spot and function correctly.
Ultimately I think that Webervations should adjust there system so that if you are updated to the new system, all old links to the old system will get forwarded automatically.

I had a website customer contact me this evening regarding an issue with switching from old to new webervations so I'll pass along what I know so far for the benefit of anyone going through the switch.
The problem with switching from the older version to the newer version is that the address that gets you to the newer version is different, so you have to change the links to your reservations / book now / request reservation or whatever you call it on your site. That part is no big deal. The bigger problem is that you have to go to every directory you are listed with and check to see if they have a make reservation link and make sure it is also changed to the new system...then after it gets changed you have to verify that it works.
Right now there seems to be a problem with bbonline's implimentation (though I'm not sure where the fault lies, could be the owner, webervations, or bbonline, or some combination - I should know more later) My client changed the link in their bbonline account to point to the new location, so the direct link works fine. However if you use bbonline's availability search and search for a specific date to stay, when the list of available rooms is returned, the "Book Now!" links points to the old version of webervations and generates an error if you click on it (if your webervations is now using the new system)

If you have switched to the newer version of webervations and you have a bbonline listing, you should double check that all your reservation system links are pointing the right spot and function correctly.
Ultimately I think that Webervations should adjust there system so that if you are updated to the new system, all old links to the old system will get forwarded automatically..
Let me know what you find out, swirt - we do have the same problem with our bbonline listing, so thanks for pointing it out. We only updated the link at the bottom. Also, it shows the average room rate for one of my rooms to be $9999. I wish!
In the new Webervations configuration, there is a setting to allow directories, associations and groups to use your Webervations information. My understanding from tech support is that is supposed to populate those links to the new system when you turn it on. We have it turned on, though, and bbonline does not work for us. Another bug.
Jeanne

Boy, I think Webervations is in for some real problems here. Your guy is a techie and can adjust but what about everyone else who doesn't have a clue!!! They should not have even told anyone about a new system until is was finished and WORKING PROPERLY. This will not sit well with innkeepers.

Boy, I think Webervations is in for some real problems here. Your guy is a techie and can adjust but what about everyone else who doesn't have a clue!!! They should not have even told anyone about a new system until is was finished and WORKING PROPERLY. This will not sit well with innkeepers..
Yeah, I agree - it is a little hard for me to believe they were touting this thing as ready back in January. There are a lot of added features but if you need something that works right away, and well - I don't think I would be recommending it.
Jeanne

Boy, I think Webervations is in for some real problems here. Your guy is a techie and can adjust but what about everyone else who doesn't have a clue!!! They should not have even told anyone about a new system until is was finished and WORKING PROPERLY. This will not sit well with innkeepers..
Yeah, I agree - it is a little hard for me to believe they were touting this thing as ready back in January. There are a lot of added features but if you need something that works right away, and well - I don't think I would be recommending it.
Jeanne
I think that I made a good decision then to go with the reservation software that I did
regular_smile.gif

In the old Webervations I can only set the earliest time for reservations for Today for 10 a.m. As I sometimes am out of the house earlier than that I've changed the time setting by two hours in hopes of keeping reservations for Today to before 8 a.m.
We did get one for the same day... thank goodness I happened to check the email that morning!
=) Kk.

In the old Webervations I can only set the earliest time for reservations for Today for 10 a.m. As I sometimes am out of the house earlier than that I've changed the time setting by two hours in hopes of keeping reservations for Today to before 8 a.m.
We did get one for the same day... thank goodness I happened to check the email that morning!
=) Kk..
On the old Webervations I had mine set to not take reservations one day ahead - this translated to midnight the night before, so someone could make a reservation for the following day up until midnight, then the button would say Call.
I used the same setting on the new one and it ignored the one day and only went by the time entered (which I happened to have at 5:00). Imagine my surprise when I got a reservation at 7:30 a.m. for that evening.
It is a bug for them, but turned it good in a way for me - I rethought why I had that setting, and changed it to allow reservations until 8:00 a.m. in the morning. I always am on the computer first thing in the morning, so getting the emails is not an issue. I realized I was essentially telling people that they couldn't make a reservation between midnight and 7 a.m. without calling, and I don't want them to call at that hour! This setting still gives me time to be ready for a check-in that day.
Jeanne

=) Kk..
On the old Webervations I had mine set to not take reservations one day ahead - this translated to midnight the night before, so someone could make a reservation for the following day up until midnight, then the button would say Call.
I used the same setting on the new one and it ignored the one day and only went by the time entered (which I happened to have at 5:00). Imagine my surprise when I got a reservation at 7:30 a.m. for that evening.
It is a bug for them, but turned it good in a way for me - I rethought why I had that setting, and changed it to allow reservations until 8:00 a.m. in the morning. I always am on the computer first thing in the morning, so getting the emails is not an issue. I realized I was essentially telling people that they couldn't make a reservation between midnight and 7 a.m. without calling, and I don't want them to call at that hour! This setting still gives me time to be ready for a check-in that day.
Jeanne
This morning the phone rang twice at 7:30, and I'd left the phone downstairs. I figured it was my sister who often calls on her way to work. Well, turns out it was a reservation... glad I called them back!
I agree that it's nice to be able to make the reservation between midnight and 7... I just don't like 10 a.m. because sometimes I leave the house well before that.
=) Kk.

=) Kk..
Jeanne
I have mine set for midnight the night prior. It has happened on one ocassion where they had a delay in the weberv coming through, not sure whose end it was on, but I got it around noon and I was not here! So i made it midnight and make sure i check first thing.

Ultimately I think that Webervations should adjust there system so that if you are updated to the new system, all old links to the old system will get forwarded automatically..
The same client that first alerted me to the problem with the new webervations and bbonlines availability calendar system just notified that bbonline fixed the problem.
I went to make sure. They didn't really fix the problem, they simply made it so the page doesn't show the availability search .... setting her inn at a disadvantage to other inns that didn't switch to the new webervations.
Hmmm.. broken links (rock) vs no display at all (hard place)
sad_smile.gif

I noticed this thread has gone quiet, so I hope nobody minds if I bring it back to life for a little bit. I have been using the new Webervations for about three months now, other than a few annoying bugs, it is by far (IMHO) a terrific program. I like the look and feel of the GUi, it certainly has a more professional appearance than the old. I especially like the addon section, since we do a lot of reservation addons, it certainly puts the options of upselling packages and service directly in front of the guests. As with any new program it has several bugs, as I said earlier, but nothing yet that I can not find a work around. The only major thing missing is the ability to allow my guests to book packages. The older version did this well, the new one has not implimented this feature yet, although they promise it is coming soon.

I noticed this thread has gone quiet, so I hope nobody minds if I bring it back to life for a little bit. I have been using the new Webervations for about three months now, other than a few annoying bugs, it is by far (IMHO) a terrific program. I like the look and feel of the GUi, it certainly has a more professional appearance than the old. I especially like the addon section, since we do a lot of reservation addons, it certainly puts the options of upselling packages and service directly in front of the guests. As with any new program it has several bugs, as I said earlier, but nothing yet that I can not find a work around. The only major thing missing is the ability to allow my guests to book packages. The older version did this well, the new one has not implimented this feature yet, although they promise it is coming soon..
it's STILL not available to me.
by the time the upgrade becomes available, i won't be an innkeeper any more!!!

I noticed this thread has gone quiet, so I hope nobody minds if I bring it back to life for a little bit. I have been using the new Webervations for about three months now, other than a few annoying bugs, it is by far (IMHO) a terrific program. I like the look and feel of the GUi, it certainly has a more professional appearance than the old. I especially like the addon section, since we do a lot of reservation addons, it certainly puts the options of upselling packages and service directly in front of the guests. As with any new program it has several bugs, as I said earlier, but nothing yet that I can not find a work around. The only major thing missing is the ability to allow my guests to book packages. The older version did this well, the new one has not implimented this feature yet, although they promise it is coming soon..
Do you plan to get out of the inn keeping business soon?

Yes, I am curious about your response, too

That's good to hear Piperman. Thanks for sharing. Can you clarify the difference between add-ons (which are working) and packages (which are not)?

I went on it six months ago, and I haven't tried out many of the features that I had problems with in the beginning so it may be that some of the bugs have been fixed. For sure, the guest sees a better interface with the new Webervations, and has from the beginning of it. My issues have been with the innkeeper end of things. Some things are not intuitive and the help function is non-existent. Calling for help on every little thing just frustrates me, and I don't do it. I like enough of the features that I wouldn't go back, but I still maintain that they let it out before it was ready. At conference in January it was supposed to be only four weeks away from general release. It's September now.

That's good to hear Piperman. Thanks for sharing. Can you clarify the difference between add-ons (which are working) and packages (which are not)?
Packages are all inclusive item ie: 2 nights stay, dinner for two in our restaurant, flowers, etc.. Old webervations let me set a price, let's say $500 - all the guest needs to do from my website is pick the package they want, and webervations would book it automatically.
Addons - When a guest picks a room, the next screen they see is a addons page - they can add a picnic lunch for $30, a Wine, Fruit & Cheese platter for $60, etc...Webervations add it on to their total tab and we get an email not only telling me about the room booking, but also the addons items the guest ordered.
This function is wonderful for us as many guest use it and it can add a good little profit to your bottom line. When they arrive whatever they ordered is waiting for them. no phone call needed

Back