New Website, Comments Please!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
This is just a begining we can work with until renovations are done on the lodge. In the meanwhile, we need to get online and market the motel. The site is not fininshed, or modified for SEO. I will have online booking and book it now buttons. Policy page and lodge page are in the works. Photos will be replaced this summer with better shots. For now--while we are making changes, What do you like? Dislike? Suggestions? I will take the link down shortly. Thanks, I REALLY appreciate it.
I removed the link. Anyone interested can always email. Thanks
Edited to add a photo, as so many asked to see it:
Lodge%20from%20SE%20small.jpg

Get online!!! It is great! Love the vintage photos/postcards on the site. Good luck!
I think my folks had some chairs in our "rec room" like the ones in the motel rooms....

I'm a total non geek, but I like your color scheme, page arrangement, photos really aren't that bad. Congratulations.

that's a lovely site - looks like a comfortable place to stay, too!

Hi
I like the look. However, I don't like the big dark burgundy box for the blog feed at the bottom of the home page. It is very distracting for me. I don't see a need to have it stand out that much...and maybe fewer feeds..only 2 so the size is not so huge. I know this company likes to do that..but I think it should look less obtrusive.
I know you said you needed new photos..on the accommodations and rate page, It is confusing to see photos of rooms and scenery together. I would suggest only room pictures on that page and leave the scenery ones to some other page. I like to "OLD postcards" really well that is cool.
On the history page, it gets pretty long scrolling that page. Why don't you do a "lightbox" type slide show presentation. I think I would enjoy that more than having to scroll page of photos. You could do some text at the top with one of two pics and then go into the slide show. This method of presenting photos seems too old school now since there are so many other options to do this.
I am not sure about the attractions page, It has my eyes going every which way. Maybe if the subheadings were left justified it might help. And maybe the heading boxe smaller not extending so far on the page. I would like to see some sort of graphic in the header boxes..seems too plain.
Last but not least.. At LEAST an online AVAILABLITY CALENDAR even if you are set up to take on line reservations yet. This will be huge mistake if you don't do something. People want ONLINE, they don't want to call!!!
Good luck...good start.

Nice appealing woodsy theme! I like it. I will go navigate a bit later.

Hi
I like the look. However, I don't like the big dark burgundy box for the blog feed at the bottom of the home page. It is very distracting for me. I don't see a need to have it stand out that much...and maybe fewer feeds..only 2 so the size is not so huge. I know this company likes to do that..but I think it should look less obtrusive.
I know you said you needed new photos..on the accommodations and rate page, It is confusing to see photos of rooms and scenery together. I would suggest only room pictures on that page and leave the scenery ones to some other page. I like to "OLD postcards" really well that is cool.
On the history page, it gets pretty long scrolling that page. Why don't you do a "lightbox" type slide show presentation. I think I would enjoy that more than having to scroll page of photos. You could do some text at the top with one of two pics and then go into the slide show. This method of presenting photos seems too old school now since there are so many other options to do this.
I am not sure about the attractions page, It has my eyes going every which way. Maybe if the subheadings were left justified it might help. And maybe the heading boxe smaller not extending so far on the page. I would like to see some sort of graphic in the header boxes..seems too plain.
Last but not least.. At LEAST an online AVAILABLITY CALENDAR even if you are set up to take on line reservations yet. This will be huge mistake if you don't do something. People want ONLINE, they don't want to call!!!
Good luck...good start..
Thanks so much for the ideas. I have changed web designers, frustrated that two weeks ago, I still only had one text page, and not correct at that. Felt I was going nowhere fast. Didn't fit into their mould.
Happy with the one I am working with now, we are finally moving along. Very much a work in progress, calendar and online bookings planned. Just very happy to have something up.
REALLY appreciate your comments on how to make it better. Have had four calls so far, one booking.

Thanks so much for the positive strokes! Last year we didn't have the windows back in until Nov. I was shooting around dumpsters, equipment, debris piles etc. I have bedspreads on order for the motel, and plan to get some new lampshades at least for the next shoot. Just felt the need to get something up! If you look at the blog, you will see what it looked like last spring!

Wow! It is looking fantastic. I must have lived in MI in a previous life, every thing I look at on your blog, site, etc. makes me feel I have been there before and makes me really want to go there!
I think your photos are beautiful. I see Catlady's point about the room pics/nature pics together, but I like this. It says right on the front page that every motel room has two double beds and a view of the lake, so I don't think it's confusing to have the nature pics mixed in, they are very inviting and make you want to step into the page. I do think you need at least one pic of one of the motel's bathrooms.
I love the header, it is so pretty and so perfect for your name. I think the color scheme is great as well, very much plays into the natural theme. The vintage photos and postcards are beautiful, just so warm and again inviting. I am a reader, so I love how much info you have on the history of the lodge and the area. Your Area Attractions page is stellar, you've obviously done a lot of research and as a traveler I'd be happy to utilize your knowledge.
The motel with it's kitschy decor just looks so fun, I think you can really emphasize this and strike the sentimental chord of 70's family notalgia (those bedspreads take me right back to my childhood!). This is a hugely popular "theme" right now and people in my generation who grew up in that era are really traveling right now, it is a market we love.

Rooms page:
PHOTOS - If you put in some text so when you mouse over an image a nice little inviting description comes up. I would use the word clean and tidy somewhere in there, as they appear that way, they appear very simple, so using some adjectives to enhance that idea would be neat!
And a BOOK THIS ROOM might be handy too..a call to action.
I want to commend you on the hard work you have put into your site, it really shows!
cheers.gif

Wow! It is looking fantastic. I must have lived in MI in a previous life, every thing I look at on your blog, site, etc. makes me feel I have been there before and makes me really want to go there!
I think your photos are beautiful. I see Catlady's point about the room pics/nature pics together, but I like this. It says right on the front page that every motel room has two double beds and a view of the lake, so I don't think it's confusing to have the nature pics mixed in, they are very inviting and make you want to step into the page. I do think you need at least one pic of one of the motel's bathrooms.
I love the header, it is so pretty and so perfect for your name. I think the color scheme is great as well, very much plays into the natural theme. The vintage photos and postcards are beautiful, just so warm and again inviting. I am a reader, so I love how much info you have on the history of the lodge and the area. Your Area Attractions page is stellar, you've obviously done a lot of research and as a traveler I'd be happy to utilize your knowledge.
The motel with it's kitschy decor just looks so fun, I think you can really emphasize this and strike the sentimental chord of 70's family notalgia (those bedspreads take me right back to my childhood!). This is a hugely popular "theme" right now and people in my generation who grew up in that era are really traveling right now, it is a market we love..
We want to ramp up the retro on the motel. It has it's own cool feel. I put the lake photos on the room page, because that is what you focus on when you are inside. It is all about the view! We think the area is really cool too, love the video on the Tahquamenon Falls link. Marta put that in for us. Any time you want to stay....you are welcome here!

Rooms page:
PHOTOS - If you put in some text so when you mouse over an image a nice little inviting description comes up. I would use the word clean and tidy somewhere in there, as they appear that way, they appear very simple, so using some adjectives to enhance that idea would be neat!
And a BOOK THIS ROOM might be handy too..a call to action.
I want to commend you on the hard work you have put into your site, it really shows!
cheers.gif
Thanks JB! I have come so far with all your help!

The motel with it's kitschy decor just looks so fun, I think you can really emphasize this and strike the sentimental chord of 70's family notalgia (those bedspreads take me right back to my childhood!). This is a hugely popular "theme" right now and people in my generation who grew up in that era are really traveling right now, it is a market we love..
We want to ramp up the retro on the motel. It has it's own cool feel. I put the lake photos on the room page, because that is what you focus on when you are inside. It is all about the view! We think the area is really cool too, love the video on the Tahquamenon Falls link. Marta put that in for us. Any time you want to stay....you are welcome here!
It will definitely happen! Thanks!

THANKS EVERYONE for the comments. I will get back to work now! I am energized by your feedback. You guys are GREAT!

white pine said:
Tahquamenon Falls
I LOVE that area. SOOOO beautiful!

Just wanted to add a note. The company I am now working with is Mintaka Design. I am VERY happy with them. Will add a link in the Resources.

Looks very nice. My only comment is that the vintage picture made me want to see what it looked like... now. So if you could have the picture rotate between that and a picture taken from exactly the same location, now... I would have been sold. Or a link/picture that showed me what that same perspective looked like today. In my inate curiosity, I actually clicked that picture in hopes that it would take me to see a before/after image.
On the other hand, not having the picture, might get those who are extremely curious to book.

Back