New website - constructive critcism greatly appreciated

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my web designer: In response to these comments, I increased the font size across the site and customized the meta data.
Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
From my web designer: In response to these comments, I increased the font size across the site and customized the meta data.
Ba da bing!
I do not see an increased font size and all your keywords meta tag says now is 'two hearts inn sitting' in a variety of spellings and forms. NOT going to get you much traffic unless someone is specifically looking for 'two hearts innsitting' in which case they already know abut you. The keyword meta tag is not the important one, the title and description are. Also, you should have a header (uses the <h></h> command) to make more use of valuable space on the site. Each page should have one that the visitor can read that tells in a short sentence what they will find on this page.
You need to come up with a title for the page and a description of what the page is about and tell your web designer to put that in there. The description should describe what the page is about so Google knows what it's 'looking' at when it indexes the site. Unless your web designer has specifically said they are wizards at SEO you'll need to come up with these tags yourself and tell them to put them in.
An example, taken from most B&B sites, the title of their home page is generally (in this order) where they are (town and state and country, if necessary), the words B&B, bed and breakfast, inn (whatever their choice is, don't stuff words in there) and the name of the B&B, more toward the end.
You want words that will help find you, but that also make sense to someone looking at them. So not a string of keywords.
Morticia,
I appreciate your input, but you are correct - most people find me (however they find me - sometimes it is me finding them) and then I will share my website info. I used to have to snail mail a brochure and references. This is just a replacement (saves me postage, paper and copy costs). The Vistaprint website was working fine, but was limited (no room for references) so my nephew was willing/able to help me out for not a lot of $$. I like to keep costs down - my husband calls me cheap - I tell him he doesn't know how good he has it! I am not a spender/shopper! I love a bargain!
I went 5 years without a website - thought I'd get into this century! We are getting busy enough that I thought an availability calendar was needed also.
Ah. Ok then. I find a lot of guests find me 'somehow,' and have no idea I have a website.
Exactly - thank you for understanding!

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
I do not see an increased font size and all your keywords meta tag says now is 'two hearts inn sitting' in a variety of spellings and forms. NOT going to get you much traffic unless someone is specifically looking for 'two hearts innsitting' in which case they already know abut you. The keyword meta tag is not the important one, the title and description are. Also, you should have a header (uses the <h></h> command) to make more use of valuable space on the site. Each page should have one that the visitor can read that tells in a short sentence what they will find on this page.
You need to come up with a title for the page and a description of what the page is about and tell your web designer to put that in there. The description should describe what the page is about so Google knows what it's 'looking' at when it indexes the site. Unless your web designer has specifically said they are wizards at SEO you'll need to come up with these tags yourself and tell them to put them in.
An example, taken from most B&B sites, the title of their home page is generally (in this order) where they are (town and state and country, if necessary), the words B&B, bed and breakfast, inn (whatever their choice is, don't stuff words in there) and the name of the B&B, more toward the end.
You want words that will help find you, but that also make sense to someone looking at them. So not a string of keywords.
Morticia,
I appreciate your input, but you are correct - most people find me (however they find me - sometimes it is me finding them) and then I will share my website info. I used to have to snail mail a brochure and references. This is just a replacement (saves me postage, paper and copy costs). The Vistaprint website was working fine, but was limited (no room for references) so my nephew was willing/able to help me out for not a lot of $$. I like to keep costs down - my husband calls me cheap - I tell him he doesn't know how good he has it! I am not a spender/shopper! I love a bargain!
I went 5 years without a website - thought I'd get into this century! We are getting busy enough that I thought an availability calendar was needed also.
The only ones you really want to find you are those doing a Google or searching on innsitters or terms one would use for search fo an innsitter. Your situations is not like ours - where we want every Tom, Dick, Harry, Mary, and Jane to find us - and then book! (Unless they are PITAs of course - hotels can have THEM!) The availability calendar IS a nice touch - saves your time and ours to know in advance whether you are available when we need you. However, since you work together OR singly, do you think an availability calendar for each of you would be of value? One may be booked (or not wanting to be) but the other sister IS. Plus I am sure you each have "my" clients.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
The only ones you really want to find you are those doing a Google or searching on innsitters or terms one would use for search fo an innsitter. Your situations is not like ours - where we want every Tom, Dick, Harry, Mary, and Jane to find us - and then book! (Unless they are PITAs of course - hotels can have THEM!) The availability calendar IS a nice touch - saves your time and ours to know in advance whether you are available when we need you. However, since you work together OR singly, do you think an availability calendar for each of you would be of value? One may be booked (or not wanting to be) but the other sister IS. Plus I am sure you each have "my" clients.
The availablity calendar is nice, but I would prefer seeing it so that is shows what days you are not available X'd out or something because it take more reading to see when you are available. Should be more of a visual thing rather than having to read much.
Another minor item. When you click on an inn's link in your references, it leaves your site. Have it open in a new window so people don't get lost :)

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
Ah. Ok then. I find a lot of guests find me 'somehow,' and have no idea I have a website.
My site is exactly the same way. If someone were to find me via my website, I'd be very surprised. And I pretty much want to keep it that way.
This is in direct contract to the purpose of a B&B site, which is to find guests.
I prefer to make personal contact with an inn owner first, either through a referral or by simply dropping off a card if it's a place I really like.
I'm sure many innsitters out there want their sites to draw business. I really don't.
So I undertand completely how Sue was able to go so long without one at all.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
My site is exactly the same way. If someone were to find me via my website, I'd be very surprised. And I pretty much want to keep it that way.
This is in direct contract to the purpose of a B&B site, which is to find guests.
I prefer to make personal contact with an inn owner first, either through a referral or by simply dropping off a card if it's a place I really like.
I'm sure many innsitters out there want their sites to draw business. I really don't.
So I undertand completely how Sue was able to go so long without one at all.
Spot on!

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
Gillumhouse - we've struggled with that - the fact that we like to work together, but if necessary and feasible we can split up and do two jobs individually - not sure how to fix that and it may not be an issue. Anne is thinking of taking a full-time position from April - Dec. - I have all of April blocked off for both of us since I am considering joining her for the month of April to help her with marketing the place.
Catlady - I noticed that last night when I clicked on the websites looking for the B&B's non toll free #'s - I lost my own website - very annoying - will have to talk to John about that!
And I felt the same way about blocking off what is NOT available - but I think he did it that way cos that is the way I had it on my Vistaprint website - it is just a mindset tho. I pointed it out to my daughter thinking it would be a problem. "Mom, the red line says you are availble - I don't find that hard to figure out - the blank spaces mean you are busy" It is great exercise for our older brains I guess.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
Gillumhouse - we've struggled with that - the fact that we like to work together, but if necessary and feasible we can split up and do two jobs individually - not sure how to fix that and it may not be an issue. Anne is thinking of taking a full-time position from April - Dec. - I have all of April blocked off for both of us since I am considering joining her for the month of April to help her with marketing the place.
Catlady - I noticed that last night when I clicked on the websites looking for the B&B's non toll free #'s - I lost my own website - very annoying - will have to talk to John about that!
And I felt the same way about blocking off what is NOT available - but I think he did it that way cos that is the way I had it on my Vistaprint website - it is just a mindset tho. I pointed it out to my daughter thinking it would be a problem. "Mom, the red line says you are availble - I don't find that hard to figure out - the blank spaces mean you are busy" It is great exercise for our older brains I guess.
It only took me 2 seconds to figure out the red line says available AND it even SAYS that!!
The two of you would have a great get-together at my place - almost in the middle and not a lot of innkeeping to do but lots to explore.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
It only took me 2 seconds to figure out the red line says available AND it even SAYS that!!
The two of you would have a great get-together at my place - almost in the middle and not a lot of innkeeping to do but lots to explore.
I know..but that is not the "usual" way to show availabilty. Just like on webervations. If you are available..it is blank..if not is it X.. much easier to understand to my way of thinking.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
Sounds great! I may actually stop by and see you on my way to the east side of WV in Feb. - I haven't decided if I am flying or driving! I will be in touch - I am assuming you are open year round?!

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
Sounds great! I may actually stop by and see you on my way to the east side of WV in Feb. - I haven't decided if I am flying or driving! I will be in touch - I am assuming you are open year round?!
Year round and just let me know when. Your room will be ready. Coffee or tea?

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
Year round and just let me know when. Your room will be ready. Coffee or tea?
I'm a tea girl - you are so kind! Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
The availablity calendar is nice, but I would prefer seeing it so that is shows what days you are not available X'd out or something because it take more reading to see when you are available. Should be more of a visual thing rather than having to read much.
Another minor item. When you click on an inn's link in your references, it leaves your site. Have it open in a new window so people don't get lost :)
catlady said:
Did I tell you I have a wonderful web designer...this has now been fixed, as has the verbage in the contact us box on the home page!
Thank you one and all for all your wonderful ideas!

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
catlady said:
Did I tell you I have a wonderful web designer...this has now been fixed, as has the verbage in the contact us box on the home page!
I'm jumping in a little late, but if you decide to change the photographs, (they do show smiling outgoing women so you might not care to change) I would get away from shots showing you siting at a table as if you are the guest instead of the innsitter. I don't think anyone would want to see you ironing linens or scrubbing bathrooms, but perhaps someone else might chime in about some sort of activity shot or just a more formal photo.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
catlady said:
I'm jumping in a little late, but if you decide to change the photographs, (they do show smiling outgoing women so you might not care to change) I would get away from shots showing you siting at a table as if you are the guest instead of the innsitter. I don't think anyone would want to see you ironing linens or scrubbing bathrooms, but perhaps someone else might chime in about some sort of activity shot or just a more formal photo.
Maybe pouring the tea instead of drinking it? Even a shot in one of their own kitchens with an apron and some 'cooking' going on. I get what you mean by an 'action' shot. Or a more formal, posed shot.

Ba da bing!.
suellen222 said:
Ba da bing!
Morticia,
catlady said:
Taking muffins or a coffee cake out of the oven or putting the garnish on a dish.....

A big improvement from your Vista Print site. I would like to see a photo of some kind on the home page...maybe even a stock photo of an Inn? And, I would like to see your photos on the "About us" page, since that page IS all about you!
I will add the link to the new site to the Michigan Inn Guide Resources page.

A big improvement from your Vista Print site. I would like to see a photo of some kind on the home page...maybe even a stock photo of an Inn? And, I would like to see your photos on the "About us" page, since that page IS all about you!
I will add the link to the new site to the Michigan Inn Guide Resources page..
Thank you Little Blue! Reminds me to update Lake to Lake too!

Not a word about rates? Or if you charge a travel fee?
I can look at my innsitter's website and figure right out that I can afford them as they have their general rates listed.
When I don't see any prices I figure I can't afford something.
Riki

Back