New website garnered booking - happy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and made a site from the do-it-yourself templates offered by VistaPrint. I have been very happy with their other products, so gave it a try. 3 days after it was up, a women phoned using a number that it only listed on the new site, so I know that is where she found us.
We may switch to yahoo sitebuilder. Price is the same, and they have more features we like, but for now, we finally have a 'real' site, although the blog we've been using has served us extremely well. We wrote the copy and took the photos. Please feel free to comment. The people on this board have been, hands down, our greatest help and resource.
-KathleenM

Hi Kathleen,
Good to hear from you again. Congrats on a new site. Here are some thoughts (at least all I have time for tonight before my eyes no longer stay open)
  1. If this were a fortune cookie, it would read "Link Love is not in your future" The problem is when you create links to your site (like the one in your signature) you link to http://twingables.net/ but then that gets redirected to http://twingablesbedandbreakfast.vpweb.com but it is done by a 302 (moved temporarily) redirect. In most cases this will mean that any link you create to your site will do little to nothing to help it show up better in search engines. I am not sure (can't tell) whether this 302 was set up by vistaprint or somewhere else along the way. If you have any control over it, you want it to use a 301 redirect (moved permanently)
  2. Small photos that enlarge via popup into larger blurry images (particularly the ones on your home page and rooms page) You normally have had some great photos in the past, but many of these seem either over compressed or scaled up.
  3. Page titles that are nearly identical from page to page mistake.
  4. Image based navigation contain no alt or title attributes to help define the navigation for search engines or visually impaired visitors. (Of course the vistaprint logo link image has the proper attributes to help THEM.)
  5. Outgoing links on home page to the likes of MerchantCircle.com It is not a good idea to send people from your home page to other sites. (Let them come in the door before sending them off some place else). Also keep in mind that your site is judged by who/what it links to. If there is a more local source for the kind of info you are linking to, link to that, but not on your home page.
  6. It looks like you 5 page site is using the "standard" package at $10 per month which maxes out at 5 pages and 100MB disk space and that's it (too small in my opinion for a B&B site). You could get cheaper hosting than that with more features without all of the limitations. example: 1and1 would give you MUCH more for the same price (using their 1&1 My Business Site) or if you could handle something that was a little less "canned" you could get a Linux 1&1 Home hosting account for less than $5 per month.

Swirt gave you a great list. I'm only commenting to say 'thanks' as I now know how to pronounce your name!

Hi Kathleen,
Good to hear from you again. Congrats on a new site. Here are some thoughts (at least all I have time for tonight before my eyes no longer stay open)
  1. If this were a fortune cookie, it would read "Link Love is not in your future" The problem is when you create links to your site (like the one in your signature) you link to http://twingables.net/ but then that gets redirected to http://twingablesbedandbreakfast.vpweb.com but it is done by a 302 (moved temporarily) redirect. In most cases this will mean that any link you create to your site will do little to nothing to help it show up better in search engines. I am not sure (can't tell) whether this 302 was set up by vistaprint or somewhere else along the way. If you have any control over it, you want it to use a 301 redirect (moved permanently)
  2. Small photos that enlarge via popup into larger blurry images (particularly the ones on your home page and rooms page) You normally have had some great photos in the past, but many of these seem either over compressed or scaled up.
  3. Page titles that are nearly identical from page to page mistake.
  4. Image based navigation contain no alt or title attributes to help define the navigation for search engines or visually impaired visitors. (Of course the vistaprint logo link image has the proper attributes to help THEM.)
  5. Outgoing links on home page to the likes of MerchantCircle.com It is not a good idea to send people from your home page to other sites. (Let them come in the door before sending them off some place else). Also keep in mind that your site is judged by who/what it links to. If there is a more local source for the kind of info you are linking to, link to that, but not on your home page.
  6. It looks like you 5 page site is using the "standard" package at $10 per month which maxes out at 5 pages and 100MB disk space and that's it (too small in my opinion for a B&B site). You could get cheaper hosting than that with more features without all of the limitations. example: 1and1 would give you MUCH more for the same price (using their 1&1 My Business Site) or if you could handle something that was a little less "canned" you could get a Linux 1&1 Home hosting account for less than $5 per month.
Swirt, Thanks for the useful comments. Will check out your referral as soon as possible (Time challenged to the extreme this week). I'm now remembering your admonition that a bad site is worse than no site! Point taken. This will change as soon as we can manage it. Your help to us do-it-yourselfers is so much appreciated. -Kathleen

If I had one wish for a B&B it would be to spend the $ on the inn's website, there is no better bang for your buck. It is the first impression that drives guests to your lodging. If we had one place to put all of our marketing dollars in bulk I would say a great website (that means SEO as well) - large clear crisp photos, easy to read fonts with easy to navigate information, and prices. Easy to see how to book a room right now (not later). There is, in this innkeepers estimation, nothing more important. It is the difference between sinking and swimming in this industry.

If I had one wish for a B&B it would be to spend the $ on the inn's website, there is no better bang for your buck. It is the first impression that drives guests to your lodging. If we had one place to put all of our marketing dollars in bulk I would say a great website (that means SEO as well) - large clear crisp photos, easy to read fonts with easy to navigate information, and prices. Easy to see how to book a room right now (not later). There is, in this innkeepers estimation, nothing more important. It is the difference between sinking and swimming in this industry..
Heartily agree Joe. This is where the money is going. Our margins may be among the smallest on this board, but we are meeting our targets, and as we do, put more $ into promotion, and that means web presence #1.
KathleenM

The wonder of the internet is that it puts a little guy like me on equal footing with a large Inn who's been in business longer.....in fact, can put me several rungs above if I'm smarter than they are!

Forgive me for pointing this out, but you have a typo in the first sentence. Instead of "buy car" you should have "by car" there
I love the site. It is very pretty, so is your place. Wow already.

Forgive me for pointing this out, but you have a typo in the first sentence. Instead of "buy car" you should have "by car" there
I love the site. It is very pretty, so is your place. Wow already..
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
You are going to be crowned the official innspiring spell checker! Good, I'm tired of the job and I missed both of the errors you caught!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
You are going to be crowned the official innspiring spell checker! Good, I'm tired of the job and I missed both of the errors you caught!
Ach mein goodness Bree. I sure hope I am not pushing you out of the office here. It is such a pet peeve of mine. I sure wish I could live up to my standards, heh!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Ach mein goodness Bree. I sure hope I am not pushing you out of the office here. It is such a pet peeve of mine. I sure wish I could live up to my standards, heh!
Definitely take her spell checking crown, but if she offers you her PITA Magnet....just say " No Thank You" ;)

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Definitely take her spell checking crown, but if she offers you her PITA Magnet....just say " No Thank You" ;)
I think Tim already got that award. Don't know if he accepted or not though.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Peeve of mine as well, but I don't mind retiring the crown...but Swirt is right, don't take on the PITA trophy! (Altho, as Sweetie Pie said, Tim Toad has probably run off with it for the year!)

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Peeve of mine as well, but I don't mind retiring the crown...but Swirt is right, don't take on the PITA trophy! (Altho, as Sweetie Pie said, Tim Toad has probably run off with it for the year!)
See I tend to think of it more as a PITA magnet, even if you give it away, you had it for so long you have to be still magnetized yourself. The only solution is to go stand in a rapidly changing magnetic field or drop yourself on the floor a few times
tounge_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
SweetiePie said:
I'm afraid this forum scared Tim away. We won't be seeing him again and that's unfortunate.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
See I tend to think of it more as a PITA magnet, even if you give it away, you had it for so long you have to be still magnetized yourself. The only solution is to go stand in a rapidly changing magnetic field or drop yourself on the floor a few times
tounge_smile.gif

The charge is weakening...

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
SweetiePie said:
I'm afraid this forum scared Tim away. We won't be seeing him again and that's unfortunate.
I wouldn't count Tim out yet. He's pretty tough.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
Nah. Got a personal message from him. He's gone. I don't much blame him. If you have an opinion that varies from the mainstream here, you pretty much get ripped a new one. In expressing opinons, things might be worded better, but we're dealing with different personalities and different modes of expression with very little tolerance for those differ from the "norm". If this is to be a "safe" environment for expression, then it should be safe for all. It isn't.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
Nah. Got a personal message from him. He's gone. I don't much blame him. If you have an opinion that varies from the mainstream here, you pretty much get ripped a new one. In expressing opinons, things might be worded better, but we're dealing with different personalities and different modes of expression with very little tolerance for those differ from the "norm". If this is to be a "safe" environment for expression, then it should be safe for all. It isn't.
Proud Texan said:
SweetiePie said:
I really don't think that's true. The problem wasn't that he had differing opinions, it was the way he voiced them. Personal slams will get you slammed back around here. Differing opinions are voiced here all the time. With respect, you get respect. JMHO

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
Proud Texan said:
SweetiePie said:
I really don't think that's true. The problem wasn't that he had differing opinions, it was the way he voiced them. Personal slams will get you slammed back around here. Differing opinions are voiced here all the time. With respect, you get respect. JMHO
I guess he wasn't as tough as I gave him credit for.

Back