New Website Input?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW BB

Reaction score
Since I'm a newbie around here, I don't want to break any rules or standards. This is not an attempt to get any free marketing/publicity, I'm actually very interested in feedback from other innkeepers. I have started (with a partner) a new aspiring innkeeper seminar which is much needed in the northwest. We just got our new website to the point where I'm comfortable for it to go live and it's been live now for about a week.
What I'm looking for is honest, frank input about the site. Is it ok if I post the site link here for your input? If not, it's no problem. I just wanted to check first. Thanks!
http://www.bedandbreakfastseminars.com

Just be prepared for TOTALLY frank and honest opinions. Post it..
gillumhouse said:
Just be prepared for TOTALLY frank and honest opinions. Post it.
Yup, I'm a big girl and I can take it! The site is still a work in progress and there are a few things we're still working on but I thought it was important to get it up and running as soon as possible. Also, I'm interested in getting more links on our links page. If you have some you'd like to share, let me know. BTW, you'll notice some of the ones there already will look familiar
devil_smile.gif

Here goes....I'm ready for the truth!
http://www.bedandbreakfastseminars.com

I am not a techie. You need titles on your pages Seminar Home Page at a minimum, Aspriing Seminar Speakers, Aspiring Accommodations, Aspiring Seminar Schedule, etc
Also, you have it booked as 4 days and 3 nights but ending at 6:30 pm on the 4th day. I would try to end it so they could plan on getting home that last night or choose to stay over. Ending at 6:30pm you will not be able to have in-coming that night will you? Up the price an extra $75 to invite the satyover or start earlier the first day so you can end earlier the last. Just my thoughts as some one who watches the wallet to the point that I will get up at 3am to leave the house by 4am to be in a class at 8am (a 2.5 hour drive away) and then drive home when the class ends at 4pm. The way it is now, if the class ends at 6:30 pm, they pretty much HAVE to stay over because it is too late to drive home. What you have is a 3.5 day/4-night class in my opinion.
Other than that, this non-techie found it easy to navigate, easy to read..
Edited to add, edit your original post to include the link so no one has to look for it.

I am not a techie. You need titles on your pages Seminar Home Page at a minimum, Aspriing Seminar Speakers, Aspiring Accommodations, Aspiring Seminar Schedule, etc
Also, you have it booked as 4 days and 3 nights but ending at 6:30 pm on the 4th day. I would try to end it so they could plan on getting home that last night or choose to stay over. Ending at 6:30pm you will not be able to have in-coming that night will you? Up the price an extra $75 to invite the satyover or start earlier the first day so you can end earlier the last. Just my thoughts as some one who watches the wallet to the point that I will get up at 3am to leave the house by 4am to be in a class at 8am (a 2.5 hour drive away) and then drive home when the class ends at 4pm. The way it is now, if the class ends at 6:30 pm, they pretty much HAVE to stay over because it is too late to drive home. What you have is a 3.5 day/4-night class in my opinion.
Other than that, this non-techie found it easy to navigate, easy to read..
Edited to add, edit your original post to include the link so no one has to look for it..
gillumhouse said:
I know what you're saying about the page titles. We're working on getting that done, but it's a technical thing I can't do in the editing of Word Press and am waiting for my partner's husband to get the SEO going. Actually, I'm really pleased and quite impressed with the ranking we've already gotten after our first week or so. We end up on the first page of Google when doing a search for any aspiring innkeeper workshop/seminar for Oregon, Washington, northwest.
gillumhouse said:
What you have is a 3.5 day/4-night class in my opinion.
hmmm......I'll definitely think about what you said. I think you found a mistake! When we were planning the schedule, we didn't plan on having dinner that last night. I think it got copied in by mistake.
Thank you, thank you!!! This is the type of input I need!

First feedback from Frank - I opened it and that was it when I made this first comment" It looks a bit sterile. Since this is the romantic rose colored glasses business of Innkeeping, I would throw some romantic pics up on that header - you know the type - a tray of lemonade on a porch, a bubble bath filled tub with rose petals floating...
and perhaps make the website color scheme more condusive to learning the ropes of day to day operations at a B&B. This page due to the color photos makes it more inviting to read further.
I say this because most innkeepers are visual sort of people. That is my opinion, so that would draw them in so they would further read what is written.
Nice work.

First feedback from Frank - I opened it and that was it when I made this first comment" It looks a bit sterile. Since this is the romantic rose colored glasses business of Innkeeping, I would throw some romantic pics up on that header - you know the type - a tray of lemonade on a porch, a bubble bath filled tub with rose petals floating...
and perhaps make the website color scheme more condusive to learning the ropes of day to day operations at a B&B. This page due to the color photos makes it more inviting to read further.
I say this because most innkeepers are visual sort of people. That is my opinion, so that would draw them in so they would further read what is written.
Nice work..
Agreed! One reason my partnership is working out so well for this seminar is that I am the more black & white, give me the facts m'am type. My partner is the flowers and frills type and she wants exactly what you're asking for, especially on the homepage. I now have her looking for the frilly stuff to add to it.
Thanks for your input!

Let me say that I am not an Innkeeper, as I've said before I don't know if I am an Aspiring or not....sometimes I would say yes and other times I say no.
Since it's priced per person, double occupancy I'm assuming you are thinking a husband and wife or partners would attend together right? So that would be 1,500 for 3 nights, to ME that sounds expensive, but then again, maybe these kinds of seminars always are. I've never looked at the prices before.

Anybody have input about the cost?.
Our MABB seminars have always had a discount for the second person/same inn. As for the cost, I have no clue but 3 nights/3 dinners/3 lunches/3 breakfasts for 2 people WITH the seminar $1500 does not sound out of line even to a cheapskate like me.

Let me say that I am not an Innkeeper, as I've said before I don't know if I am an Aspiring or not....sometimes I would say yes and other times I say no.
Since it's priced per person, double occupancy I'm assuming you are thinking a husband and wife or partners would attend together right? So that would be 1,500 for 3 nights, to ME that sounds expensive, but then again, maybe these kinds of seminars always are. I've never looked at the prices before..
One thing that sets us apart is that it's all inclusive and we'll be offering a lot of hours of instruction. We provide all lodging, food, beverages and snacks. Most 1 day seminars are in the $300 range and that doesn't include lodging and food.

OK, now I've screwed up our schedule page! I was trying to correct the last day of the seminar which will end at NOON, Please ignore the added column it created at the bottom. Sheesh...good thing I'm an innkeeper and not a programmer! I'll have it fixed soon.

Remember Pineapples are the symbol of hospitality, so even some pineapples on there - as nice clip art would do a long way.
If at all possible, I would match the partners B&W pic with a B&W of your own. Just to look more professional.
I would not want the website to be too flowery, but the target audience are the dreamers, so to entice them I would make it "dream like" does that make sense? Remember they think innkeeping is baking muffins, sitting on the porch sipping lemonade with guests. :)
Someone can clarify this - There was a B&B promo "Passport to Porches of the South" - which had all these fantastic shots of B&B porches. Something like that on the header...

Remember Pineapples are the symbol of hospitality, so even some pineapples on there - as nice clip art would do a long way.
If at all possible, I would match the partners B&W pic with a B&W of your own. Just to look more professional.
I would not want the website to be too flowery, but the target audience are the dreamers, so to entice them I would make it "dream like" does that make sense? Remember they think innkeeping is baking muffins, sitting on the porch sipping lemonade with guests. :)
Someone can clarify this - There was a B&B promo "Passport to Porches of the South" - which had all these fantastic shots of B&B porches. Something like that on the header....
Thanks for the input. We'll be working on those pictures this weekend. I've been putting that part off, so I really appreciate all of you pointing that out. It's lighting a candle under me!

Back