New Wrinkle from TA?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
In today's email:

From TA announcing a new program:
" Tripadvisor Plus. This direct-to-consumer (DTC) subscription program will allow travelers to access exclusive perks and discounts on accommodations, experiences, and so much more — all for a $99 annual fee. " ( fee paid by guest )

To be listed with the program you have to have a 3.5 rating or above. I can't determine from their communications if the lodging establishment has to already be using an OTA. I don't and won't .

It sounds like their version of Boo king's "Genius" program, where they give their elite members discounts and benefit paid for not by TA, but by us providing deeper discounts. I don't participate in Boo's Genius program because I see no need for me to fund their marketing programs, and it doesn't sound initially like TA's will get much of my attention, either.

That said, I asked to be part of a feedback session on what I thought of TA's website, specifically how information on properties is displayed. My feedback/gifts were:

1) MAKE THE DIRECT LINK TO THE PROPERTY BIGGER AND MORE DOMINANT
2) We'd like to be able to put a little 10-second video on our homepage to help sell the property
3) See No. 1 again.

I ended up dropping all of the OTAs and I’m glad I did. I even dropped TA. TA is a thing of the past IMO. Hardly anyone uses them anymore.

I ended up dropping all of the OTAs and I’m glad I did. I even dropped TA. TA is a thing of the past IMO. Hardly anyone uses them anymore.
I still check TA for restaurant advice, but no guest has mentioned TA on the "how did you find us" website question in a couple of years.

I still check TA for restaurant advice, but no guest has mentioned TA on the "how did you find us" website question in a couple of years.
I’ve got a separate reservation form set up for guests using the link on TA. What I see is they run up the PPC and then don’t book! Maybe two reservations each year?

But I do get a lot of callers saying our reviews impressed them. It’s odd, guests and reviews. Some people won’t leave home without reading every review, others are brave and just go.

We were in a restaurant one night and the people at the next table were wondering how the salmon was. I was eating it and said it was great. They both pulled out their phones to check the online reviews. A live person actually eating the salmon was not good enough.

Like Morticia, I have a separate Reservation Key reservation page called Trip so I can track where all Availability Searches came from. Unlike Morticia, in 2019 (and other years) I can directly trace 30.2% of our sales back to Trip Advisor. Unless you have/use your tools for analysis.... you'll never ever know. At a 1% commission, Trip Connect is priceless.

I get people that say they read our reviews as well. 9 times out of 10 if you ask they are google reviews and not TA. I haven’t received a TA review in several years. I get google reviews weekly. It’s just weird how things move from one platform to another depending on trends. Also, from one property to another. I guess it could also be where customers are coming from at what advertising TA does in your area.

Back