New Year's Day menu

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
Is anybody serving their traditional meal for New Year's Day? I am just now getting the pork and sauerkraut ready to go in the oven - sauerkraut being a German/PA Dutch tradition (at least in my family) for this day. No guests tonight so I can smell up the kitchen to my heart's content.

Tamales? Muy bien.
No nothing traditional for us here. Just ate left over pizza from last night.
teeth_smile.gif

DH is in hog heaven because I made a pot of veggie soup and biscuits yesterday. He is having leftover soup and expects biscuits tonight also. I will make dumplings for me.

Nothing trad here, either. We're having corn & bean soup. We do have guests but that never stops me stinking up the kitchen.

I made Cincinnati Chili, but using ground turkey this time - no one is here and I have a good friend who doesn't eat red meat. I told her I'd try the Cincinnati Chili (it's really Greek spaghetti) made with turkey (just for her) to see if it was any good, but I didn't want to do it when I had a crowd to feed so that if it wasn't good, no loss. It's great!! And with whole grain spaghetti.
I am also taking my first stab at a Cuban flan. It looks good...has to chill for 24 hours. It's a wee bit lop-sided. It was baking in the oven in a water bath when a huge cold front was blowing through. I had 47 mph winds on my port side and the yacht was heeling over to starboard...as was the flan in the oven! It still looks very yummy though. Heck, I'm just happy I didn't pull up any pilings or snap any lines. I was scrambling at the last minute in the rain putting on a few extra storm lines.

I made Cincinnati Chili, but using ground turkey this time - no one is here and I have a good friend who doesn't eat red meat. I told her I'd try the Cincinnati Chili (it's really Greek spaghetti) made with turkey (just for her) to see if it was any good, but I didn't want to do it when I had a crowd to feed so that if it wasn't good, no loss. It's great!! And with whole grain spaghetti.
I am also taking my first stab at a Cuban flan. It looks good...has to chill for 24 hours. It's a wee bit lop-sided. It was baking in the oven in a water bath when a huge cold front was blowing through. I had 47 mph winds on my port side and the yacht was heeling over to starboard...as was the flan in the oven! It still looks very yummy though. Heck, I'm just happy I didn't pull up any pilings or snap any lines. I was scrambling at the last minute in the rain putting on a few extra storm lines..
May you always make "safe harbor".

I am also taking my first stab at a Cuban flan. It looks good...has to chill for 24 hours. It's a wee bit lop-sided. It was baking in the oven in a water bath when a huge cold front was blowing through. I had 47 mph winds on my port side and the yacht was heeling over to starboard...as was the flan in the oven! It still looks very yummy though. Heck, I'm just happy I didn't pull up any pilings or snap any lines. I was scrambling at the last minute in the rain putting on a few extra storm lines..
Yum - I love flan.

I am really in lazy mode after several days. I didn't make our tradtional ham, black eye peas, and cabbage today. We ate leftovers, too.

Nothing traditional, but I did stir myself enough to make Chop Chae, Korean noodles, meat and vegetables with a teriyaki sauce. Yum! Maybe it will become a tradition...
=)
Kk.

Back