New Year's Eve

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
New Year's eve this year is on a Friday! This may be a boon to any innkeeper who wishes to plan any packages for that weekend.
Last year I did the brunch and had one difficult guest who demanded to stay without the brunch and messed up all my plans. He wanted to cancel and since it was a package I said he could not and ended up staying with us anyway and enjoyed himself but up to that point was a royal pita.
Will you plan a package and do you have it in the works now? What will it be? What will you offer? How will you market this special weekend?
(We need to plan for this now, but realistically we have no info on any events that evening)

I will trot out my 18th Century New Year's Eve. This year I will make it a 2-night (min) package. We have had people book it in the past.
It is an 18th Century traditional frontier dinner served at around 9 p.m. by us wearing 18th Century clothing. Toast at Midnight with habd-blown WV goblets that are theirs as a gift. I may even pop for champaign this year instead of sparkling cider.

I will trot out my 18th Century New Year's Eve. This year I will make it a 2-night (min) package. We have had people book it in the past.
It is an 18th Century traditional frontier dinner served at around 9 p.m. by us wearing 18th Century clothing. Toast at Midnight with habd-blown WV goblets that are theirs as a gift. I may even pop for champaign this year instead of sparkling cider..
Be careful with the alcohol....I don't know what WV requires, but we could not do that in VA unless we had a ABC License.

Celebrate the New Year with a brunch party! http://ow.ly/3h1Lxhttp://ow.ly/3h1Lx
PS This means for me doing a brunch on Saturday I need to make items I normally don't make for breakfast! ie if it is a quiche, make it a crab quiche, etc. Upscale it all a notch!

We are thrilled that NYE is on a Friday this year, and it will work well for next year when it is on a Saturday as well. We packaged our rooms for a two night stay with a local restaurant who is doing a prix fixe menu. It sold out which was awesome. It helped that B n B Finder.com put us in one of their press releases!

We are thrilled that NYE is on a Friday this year, and it will work well for next year when it is on a Saturday as well. We packaged our rooms for a two night stay with a local restaurant who is doing a prix fixe menu. It sold out which was awesome. It helped that B n B Finder.com put us in one of their press releases!.
We did that one year. Oddly funny thing happened. I asked one guest if he wanted the dinner package and he said he didn't. I popped into the restaurant during dinner and there he was. He could have saved money doing the package! He would have gotten champagne with dinner, dessert included, and it was less than off the menu.

New Zealand is the first in time. We go through this every year on DH's bday as he insists on celebrating the day prior than the date here in the US.
Sydney Harbor is the best NY's fireworks in the world (imo) and also the biggest drunken brawl.
images
images

New Zealand is the first in time. We go through this every year on DH's bday as he insists on celebrating the day prior than the date here in the US.
Sydney Harbor is the best NY's fireworks in the world (imo) and also the biggest drunken brawl.
images
images
Gorgeous!
Does he celebrate twice? Once in each time zone?

images
images
Gorgeous!
Alibi Ike said:
Gorgeous!
Does he celebrate twice? Once in each time zone? (From JB - New Zealand, Australia and USA)
Now you all know where my "Birth week" came from.
I was with him the day he turned 21 and tried to convince some door man in SD at a pub to let him in and buy a beer on his 21st.
(No it didn't work)
BTW the phone rang today and it was the mother of our guest who has a bday today. It was a nice thing when I handed her the phone and she said "Oh Mommy, thank you!" It made me get all teary eyed. Even in her 60's it still made her day to have her mommy call and tell her happy birthday!
She then went on to explain everything from her visit so far. I could hear her mother rejoicing with her in the background, it was so sweet.
Don't forget - call your kids! Even if you are 85 call them! My Dad called me on my bday this year and never said a word about it. I finally added before hanging up "Aren't you going to say happy birthday Dad?" He said "What? It's today?" I got off the phone and cried. He called back all wound up and mad and then apologized and wished me a happy birthday. Really makes you feel like a nobody when your own parents don't remember you.

images
images
Gorgeous!
Alibi Ike said:
Gorgeous!
Does he celebrate twice? Once in each time zone? (From JB - New Zealand, Australia and USA)
I was with him the day he turned 21 and tried to convince some door man in SD at a pub to let him in and buy a beer on his 21st.
(No it didn't work)
BTW the phone rang today and it was the mother of our guest who has a bday today. It was a nice thing when I handed her the phone and she said "Oh Mommy, thank you!" It made me get all teary eyed. Even in her 60's it still made her day to have her mommy call and tell her happy birthday!
She then went on to explain everything from her visit so far. I could hear her mother rejoicing with her in the background, it was so sweet.
Don't forget - call your kids! Even if you are 85 call them! My Dad called me on my bday this year and never said a word about it. I finally added before hanging up "Aren't you going to say happy birthday Dad?" He said "What? It's today?" I got off the phone and cried. He called back all wound up and mad and then apologized and wished me a happy birthday. Really makes you feel like a nobody when your own parents don't remember you.
Joey Bloggs said:
Not wanting to get all weepy here, but I will- my mother knows all this stuff and remembers to call and send cards. She'll put dad on the phone and say, 'Say Happy Birthday to your daughter.' Generally he says, 'Which one?' (I'm the only daughter.) It's a joke, but if my mom goes first, there goes my history. She knows all my old friends, my b'day, anniversary, all that stuff. Dad knows I was a kid once, but that's it. He knows I'm married but not when (and sometimes not to whom!)
I call and sing to my parents, kids & grandkids on their b'days. Always will. Except one grandkid. Apparently he's terrified of the happy birthday song, so I can't sing to him.
I think most dads leave all this 'family' stuff to their wives. They shouldn't.

images
images
Gorgeous!
Alibi Ike said:
Gorgeous!
(No it didn't work)
Joey Bloggs said:
Not wanting to get all weepy here, but I will- my mother knows all this stuff and remembers to call and send cards. She'll put dad on the phone and say, 'Say Happy Birthday to your daughter.' Generally he says, 'Which one?' (I'm the only daughter.) It's a joke, but if my mom goes first, there goes my history. She knows all my old friends, my b'day, anniversary, all that stuff. Dad knows I was a kid once, but that's it. He knows I'm married but not when (and sometimes not to whom!)
I call and sing to my parents, kids & grandkids on their b'days. Always will. Except one grandkid. Apparently he's terrified of the happy birthday song, so I can't sing to him.
I think most dads leave all this 'family' stuff to their wives. They shouldn't.
The first time my Daddy said I love you at the end of a phone call, I almost fell over! I had to be in my 40s by them. He had had a scare (and I was there the next day) so bad that he quit smoking cold turkey and I think that is what prompted it From that time on, he never ended a conversation without saying I love you. It was worth waiting for.

images
images
Gorgeous!
Alibi Ike said:
Gorgeous!
(No it didn't work)
Yeah...
They've forgotten mine so many times I don't care anymore.......have no problem of reminding me when everyone else is...
I feel like Rodney Dangerfield

My parents both mom and dad always made a big deal of all our birthdays, not in presents but in a dinner that they made of our choice and cake and ice cream and when we were not there the phone call came firs thing in morning. My kids do it but one just can't remember or won't don't know which, but its okay cause all my other kids do.
Its a blessing to have a family like mine-even if sometimes we have an all out drag out we all know that we will always be there for eachother. I can't say that there haven't been difficulties but overall I am so blessed.
Hope all have a wonderful new years and that blessings of abundace come to you all in 2011

images
images
I used to live near sydney and I loved their fireworks! I was there when the opera house opened and it was awesome!

Back