New Zealand Earthquake Feb 22, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Got an email asking and wanted to share that DH's family live on the North island of NZ closer to Auckland, and this horrendous earthquake was on the south island near Wellington/Christchurch where there are volcanos. Another sad even with loss of life. His family are fine. Thank you for asking.

Joey Bloggs said:
Got an email asking and wanted to share that DH's family live on the North island of NZ closer to Auckland, and this horrendous earthquake was on the south island near Wellington/Christchurch where there are volcanos. Another sad even with loss of life. His family are fine. Thank you for asking.
cheers.gif

Good news. Southern Hemisphere is taking a beating this season, eh? I hope it calms down for them soon.

Glad they are OK. How is the cop doing in OZ?.
gillumhouse said:
Glad they are OK. How is the cop doing in OZ?
She's wonderful. May spend the hard cash and come for a visit. But will fly into LA and drive across country. I gave her the scoop. Our cousin was stuck in the cyclone with the flooding from that.

Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif
That's a relief!
RIki

DH's first cousin Paul and his wife live in Christchurch, they are fine, had a huge crack through the middle of their house. He was in the army, and she is an RN, so they are involved with the search and rescue there. Many people are still missing.
Photos of the quake zone page down after clicking here

DH's first cousin Paul and his wife live in Christchurch, they are fine, had a huge crack through the middle of their house. He was in the army, and she is an RN, so they are involved with the search and rescue there. Many people are still missing.
Photos of the quake zone page down after clicking here.
Why am I not surprised that your DH's family members are involved in helping others. May they continue to be safe. That part of the world has had a horrible time in 2011. May this be the last of their troubles.

So happy to hear all your relatives are safe. The pictures are horrific. Glad they are able to assist others. Thoughts are with them...

Joey Bloggs said:
... on the south island near Wellington/Christchurch where there are volcanos.
Wellington, New Zealand's capital, is at the southern tip of the North Island. It is, perhaps, even more prone to huge future earthquakes than San Francisco or Christchurch. Our legislators have arranged to fully earthquake proof their own buildings that they work in of course...
At the moment there are no working volcanoes in the South Island where we live - but we do have delicious hot springs. My favourite is a spot just to the East of the Lewis Pass where, if you're in the know, you can walk a few minutes up a bubbling alpine torrent and then stoop down to scoop out your al fresco bath in the riverside sands. Hot water comes bubbling up ( a little sulpherous) and you can adjust the temperature to suit by making a breach in the wall of that bath you just constructed to let some of the ice cold water in.
Only drwabck is the pseky sandflies - so I take a gauze bag I can put over my head with a drawstring to pull tight round my neck (not too tight) and then lie back naked enjoying the mountain views with everything else under the waterline and out of reach of their tiny little mandibles...

Back