NEWBIE HERE.. HELPP... How do you tell a potential return guest that they are not welcome?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casa Carby

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently had one of the worst set of guests ever. Dirty doesn't even begin to describe. Ruined duvets, towels, fruit punch stains on kitchen cupboards and drawers.... these guests expressed a very keen interest in returning. They "loved" the house.... we NEVER want them to return. How would you handle this if the inquiry comes up? I can't keep saying our home is booked... but I don't know how to say "you were the biggest slobs ever and were quite disrespectful to the home too"... advice much appreciated...

Why did you start TWO threads on this topic? With the same exact question? One is sufficient, you may want to change the other one to a diff question to divert confusion.
Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif

Why did you start TWO threads on this topic? With the same exact question? One is sufficient, you may want to change the other one to a diff question to divert confusion.
Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif
Hi,
Being new, I didn't know where I should place my question. Since I am new can you kindly tell me which forum would be better, more relevant.
Thanks for the welcome.

first ... welcome
second ... before you give up on the duvet and towels try this:

mix equal parts of dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher soap) and hydrogen peroxide and pour it on the stains. allow to sit ... rinse ... check ... repeat ... and again
also, baking soda paste left to sit (baking soda and water) will remove most stains from counters
third ... do you not have a damage policy in your rental agreement? you must put one in now if you don't. i rented a summer cottage a few years back and had to pay a damage deposit ... refunded AFTER the owner went in and checked to see all was as it should be.
i know some innkeeps run a credit card for damages, but i prefer the pay up front way myself.
fourth ... i will have to let others advise you about having the unwelcome list. if the guests seem so sincere about loving the place, i would TELL them ... we were happy to have you stay with us but i am afraid there were stains, etc. ..... and we have been unable to remove them. the few guests i had who did damage most paid for the cleanup/replacement
good luck!

Welcome.
For the stains, try oxy if you have it and soaking. Do NOT dry until the stain is gone. Shout Ultra also works wonders.
As for the guest, when they reserve you simply tell them that you believe that they will be happier elsewhere and that you don't believe that you are able to accomodate their needs.

Are you doing rentals rather than rooms? So, someone rents a cabin? Or are these rooms in your house?
If you are doing rentals, like cabins, you need a damage deposit up front that gets returned if nothing is damaged. If it's room rentals then some of it is just the cost of doing business.
If you do not want to guests back, make a note for yourself for when (if) they try to reserve again. At that point, you can explain the situation...'We do not think this venue is suitable for you. We think you would be happier trying...' and give them the name of a hotel.

If they're pestering you for another booking I'd tell them straight. I'd send them a polite email explaining the problem and saying you will be accepting no further bookings from them.
As I mentioned in another thread last week, had someone cancel a 7 night booking they made in February for July, because of the weather. Their email said they hoped to visit some other time. I replied that due to them leaving us with an empty room for a week with little chance of re-letting we wouldn't be accepting any future bookings from them.

And always get photos of any damages people do to your property. That way you can show the guests what they did, and show them to Judge Judy if you end up in court.

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif
Hi,
Being new, I didn't know where I should place my question. Since I am new can you kindly tell me which forum would be better, more relevant.
Thanks for the welcome.
Welcome. Happy you join us.
I had that happen to us too.
We said I am happy you like our place. But it was not a good fit for us. I would be more then happy to suggest a place that might me your needs. They never asked us why we were not happy. I think they darn well knew.! It is never easy to be up front with any one. Trying to be kind is hard at times.
I wish you the best.

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.
Casa Carby said:
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.
It isn't which Forum as it is one forum. Choose a relevant place for your question/statement - as in Inn the Kitchen or Inn Misc or Laugh,Vent, Chat or Cry.... - that is what JB was referring to. Both of your posts refer to a guest and could have been combined into one post with both questions in it.

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.
Casa Carby said:
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.
It isn't which Forum as it is one forum. Choose a relevant place for your question/statement - as in Inn the Kitchen or Inn Misc or Laugh,Vent, Chat or Cry.... - that is what JB was referring to. Both of your posts refer to a guest and could have been combined into one post with both questions in it.
gillumhouse said:
Casa Carby said:
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.
Actually Casca Carby did change the other one, the posts were identical, the same paragraph in two different threads.

Thank you for all the great responses. I am so happy to have found this forum... it is great to see so many shared experiences, good and bad. I am grateful for all the answers!!

Back