Newbie Question: Why would they stay at $175-$200 a night inn when they can stay in entire AirBNB apartment for $110 a night?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ratio of assessed value to taxes is good but I’d agree that the list price is high given the assessed value at 545k. Beautiful house but plan on some paid help, that’s a big house. I do mine mostly myself at 5000 sq ft but I’m always busy keeping it looking good inside and out.
I think that price includes turn key business including furnishings. It might be a little lower just sold as a single family. Honestly, if you look at comparable historic properties in that area it does seem to be priced right.

Last edited:
My kitchen WAS the back porch. It is 19 feet long and 9 feet wide.. The waterlines are UNDER it. When it gets to single digits in the winter I have to worry about frozen lines - too shallow to get under to install a heat tape and they did not insulate houses in 1912 - definitely no porches.

Thr outside wall has, starting from the back - the closet with the water heater, the washer, the drter, the fridge, 1950s double sink with side drainboards, stove (was a beautiful 40", now wimpy 30" with a butcher block pullout stoage drawer - custom made). Then I have a counter that is about 24 inches wide that fills the corner and comes up the side to the side door to the deck (small). Himself kept all HIS stuff to cook his meals there so I got used to working my breakfast magic on a space about 18 x 24 inches. Te wall opposite the stove has a space heater - required - and a custom-built sideboard - that also held his stuff - I have partially reclaimed that, but now it holds wine bottles and fruit. So yes, you will be able to work around a lot, but even if I were pining for a dishwasher (cannot have due to my Fostoria and other antique dishes) I do not have room for one. The kids blessed me with a freezer that would have been the space - I lone the freezer! IF there is space - a freezer is wonderful.

When OJ is on sale - it goes in the freezer, my berries in season get frozen for winter, I just bought another pig (the one from last year is almost gone), and unfortunately, it seems I am also out of venison and they did not get me one in November. CRAP!! When bacon was on sale, I bought it for the freezer. Saves a lot.

My kitchen was the butler's pantry. I have maybe 2m of counterspace for working and I put things up on the breakfast bar as extra space. Everything is doable... you just have to get used to working in a small space. But the coffeemaker, hot water, etc are all in the dining room.

That's a beautiful house... for me personally too many knick-knacks that have to be dusted and that wallpaper would have me contemplating murder.

My kitchen WAS the back porch. It is 19 feet long and 9 feet wide.. The waterlines are UNDER it. When it gets to single digits in the winter I have to worry about frozen lines - too shallow to get under to install a heat tape and they did not insulate houses in 1912 - definitely no porches.

Thr outside wall has, starting from the back - the closet with the water heater, the washer, the drter, the fridge, 1950s double sink with side drainboards, stove (was a beautiful 40", now wimpy 30" with a butcher block pullout stoage drawer - custom made). Then I have a counter that is about 24 inches wide that fills the corner and comes up the side to the side door to the deck (small). Himself kept all HIS stuff to cook his meals there so I got used to working my breakfast magic on a space about 18 x 24 inches. Te wall opposite the stove has a space heater - required - and a custom-built sideboard - that also held his stuff - I have partially reclaimed that, but now it holds wine bottles and fruit. So yes, you will be able to work around a lot, but even if I were pining for a dishwasher (cannot have due to my Fostoria and other antique dishes) I do not have room for one. The kids blessed me with a freezer that would have been the space - I lone the freezer! IF there is space - a freezer is wonderful.

When OJ is on sale - it goes in the freezer, my berries in season get frozen for winter, I just bought another pig (the one from last year is almost gone), and unfortunately, it seems I am also out of venison and they did not get me one in November. CRAP!! When bacon was on sale, I bought it for the freezer. Saves a lot.

All good tips! Thank you.

I wanted to say to you before that I am so sorry to hear of your losses with your husband and another relative you mentioned. I think it is amazing that you have carried on and kept your inn going through such loss and hardships. We are moving soon and my brain is all scattered right now and I meant to tell you that earlier. Wow, you are an inspiration and must be a very strong person. I truly mean this and I greatly admire your strength.

Well these innkeepers of the place I am thinking about seem to crank out the most amazing breakfasts in their smaller kitchen per the glowing reviews. It doesn't seem to hinder them at all. I actually like smaller old school kitchens. I think they are cozy and I like kitchens kind of separated from other rooms as well.

Last edited:
When you consider how three meals everyday are made on schooners you realize anything is possible.

that wallpaper would have me contemplating murder.

Haha yeah there is some old school wallpaper going on in a bathroom. I get why they kept it. To me, it's cute and vintage. I'd probably paint over it at some point but it is nostalgic of a bygone era. Dining room has been painted and wallpaper is no longer there.

All good tips! Thank you.

I wanted to say to you before that I am so sorry to hear of your losses with your husband and another relative you mentioned. I think it is amazing that you have carried on and kept your inn going through such loss and hardships. We are moving soon and my brain is all scattered right now and I meant to tell you that earlier. Wow, you are an inspiration and must be a very strong person.

Well these innkeepers of the place I am thinking about seem to crank out the most amazing breakfasts in their smaller kitchen per the glowing reviews. It doesn't seem to hinder them at all. I actually like smaller old school kitchens. I think they are cozy and I like kitchens kind of separated from other rooms as well.

Thank you but I am not unusual. One puts one foot in front of the other - to have allowed myself to be a basketcase would have been non-productive and would have been unthinkable to my kids (and him). Life has a cycle and then we move on. That is the way we do it in West Virginia. (I took that reservation 4-days after he died (BTW - for him it was good) because I needed the money!

I also made my kitchen as inconvenient as it is (helped of course by the then existing layout of the kitchen) with cabinets and working space to make me move and get exercise. The "pantry" cabinets, such as they are, are on the back wall of the kitchen next to the water heater.

Thank you but I am not unusual. One puts one foot in front of the other - to have allowed myself to be a basketcase would have been non-productive and would have been unthinkable to my kids (and him). Life has a cycle and then we move on. That is the way we do it in West Virginia. (I took that reservation 4-days after he died (BTW - for him it was good) because I needed the money!

I also made my kitchen as inconvenient as it is (helped of course by the then existing layout of the kitchen) with cabinets and working space to make me move and get exercise. The "pantry" cabinets, such as they are, are on the back wall of the kitchen next to the water heater.

Well I think you sound super strong and amazing. I admire your determination, strength, and faith that things will be okay as you press on.

Haha yeah there is some old school wallpaper going on in a bathroom. I get why they kept it. To me, it's cute and vintage. I'd probably paint over it at some point but it is nostalgic of a bygone era. Dining room has been painted and wallpaper is no longer there.
If you start getting reviews about ‘grandma’s house’ plan to remove the wallpaper. Those reviews stopped after we painted almost every room.

If you start getting reviews about ‘grandma’s house’ plan to remove the wallpaper. Those reviews stopped after we painted almost every room.
While we don't have wallpaper you would find old family photos and I market the theme of a visit to "grandma's" and not the typical motel.

While we don't have wallpaper you would find old family photos and I market the theme of a visit to "grandma's" and not the typical motel.

We removed the wallpaper before we opened. I still had a couple of references to grandma so I decided to embrace it. I have on my website -
Remember how nice it was to go to Granny's house? This Granny invites you back - with one big exception - we promise not to hover over you.

Hi Mrs G,

I am just outside of DC in Virginia. My rooms run from $149 to $399 per night depending on day of the week and the season. Since June 10 of last year I have had three days off. Not that all 7 rooms are full every night but I have has at least one room every weeknight except for three days in the past year. I have not had a room sit empty on a weekend in the past 19 years.

So.....if you are in this area, you need not worry.

Plus to consider:
My $149 room with a private bath, including a full breakfast, afternoon tea and all of the taxes works out to $313.80 with tax.
A higher end suite this time of year will be $376.97 including all the same.

I just went to Airbnb and found a neighbor with an entire apartment to rent for $125. When you actually click into the details two nights in that $125 apartment comes up to $362.97 for a two night stay. Because you don't just pay $125 a night, you pay fees and taxes of over $100 for the 2 nights.

What I do is make my Airbnb listings so they can find me by googling the Airbnb description. If they choose to use Airbnb they pay more because of the Airbnb fees but I get the same net amount. IF they are smart, they find us directly and save on average $50 per night by not feeding the middleman.

We have also just recently changed our Airbnb listings to say "Bookings made through Airbnb do not include breakfast". It doesn't and can't say book at our website to get breakfast included but it seems to have gotten the point across. Many more people say I found you on Airbnb and book directly than actually book through Airbnb.

Hi Mrs G,

I am just outside of DC in Virginia. My rooms run from $149 to $399 per night depending on day of the week and the season. Since June 10 of last year I have had three days off. Not that all 7 rooms are full every night but I have has at least one room every weeknight except for three days in the past year. I have not had a room sit empty on a weekend in the past 19 years.

So.....if you are in this area, you need not worry.

Plus to consider:
My $149 room with a private bath, including a full breakfast, afternoon tea and all of the taxes works out to $313.80 with tax.
A higher end suite this time of year will be $376.97 including all the same.

I just went to Airbnb and found a neighbor with an entire apartment to rent for $125. When you actually click into the details two nights in that $125 apartment comes up to $362.97 for a two night stay. Because you don't just pay $125 a night, you pay fees and taxes of over $100 for the 2 nights.

What I do is make my Airbnb listings so they can find me by googling the Airbnb description. If they choose to use Airbnb they pay more because of the Airbnb fees but I get the same net amount. IF they are smart, they find us directly and save on average $50 per night by not feeding the middleman.

We have also just recently changed our Airbnb listings to say "Bookings made through Airbnb do not include breakfast". It doesn't and can't say book at our website to get breakfast included but it seems to have gotten the point across. Many more people say I found you on Airbnb and book directly than actually book through Airbnb.

Thanks for sharing this trick of the trade, An Old Tavernkeeper. That's good to know. Wow, that is an impressive weekend occupancy rate as well. What a fortunate place to own an inn near DC.

I must say, you innkeepers on here are some of the the most helpful, gracious, generous of spirit folks I have come across online. Even if I don't buy an inn, I may just stick around to get to continue to interact with all of you wonderful innkeepers. I guess the industry attracts people who truly like to help others given the nature of what you all do.

I guess the industry attracts people who truly like to help others given the nature of what you all do.
The life is so much more than the income, yes, that may be a necessary part, but the guests and the life are the real reason for being in the business, my thoughts anyway.

Back