Newbie with a question on comforters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are at least two sources for open stock sheets that I know of - American Hotel Registry carries white or ivory sheets, including all-cotton options, in quantity lots and the Company Store sells prints, solids and monogrammed flat sheets individually. They may be more expensive but if you regard a nice, high-quality, printed top sheet as an alternative to a bedspread or coverlet, maybe they're not so bad.
I have seen all-white decor at some B&Bs - the Bellmoor in Rehoboth Beach and the Kehoe House in Savannah. I have been told by folks in the biz that this is a growing trend even among B&Bs. It's not what I would do, though. My thought was to use a solid set for the bottom and a printed sheet on top - mixing and matching is what gives it the shabby chic look. If I decided to go the triple sheet route that is what I would consider - using open-source flat sheets in coordinating colors, maybe with the Inn's monogram. I think that would be a pretty and B&B-appropriate look. Unfortunately I have a lifetime supply of matelasse comforters and print sheets sets, so it won't be happening any time soon!.
I had been looking for some fitted sheets to replace the tired elastic bottom sheets from sets that were in otherwise good condition. I decided I will just have to get out the sewing machine this winter and replace the elastic.

It is hard to find "open stock" sheets - most are sold as sets these days. So - do you buy 2 "sets" to get that triple sheet? To me (IMO) all white says hotel and why bother with that beautiful blanket/comforter/duvet if it is just going to have an uninteresting white sheet over it?
Triple sheet in a hotel/motel setting makes sense as who knows who or what was there last but WE have a different kind of guests.....(sounds snooty and maybe it is, but we do get a different demographic for the most part).
gillumhouse said:
It is hard to find "open stock" sheets - most are sold as sets these days. So - do you buy 2 "sets" to get that triple sheet? To me (IMO) all white says hotel and why bother with that beautiful blanket/comforter/duvet if it is just going to have an uninteresting white sheet over it?
We opted for 600 tc Egyptian Cotton SOLID for the fitted and top sheet. We use a 300 count PLAID sheet for the third. You could just as easily have a SOLID/FLORAL combo, PLAID/FLORAL COMBO or if you wanted to get really wild, mix sets for a SOLID/PLAID/FLORAL combo. Throw in CHECKS for good measure.

Triple sheet in a hotel/motel setting makes sense as who knows who or what was there last but WE have a different kind of guests.....(sounds snooty and maybe it is, but we do get a different demographic for the most part).
gillumhouse said:
We opted for 600 tc Egyptian Cotton SOLID for the fitted and top sheet. We use a 300 count PLAID sheet for the third. You could just as easily have a SOLID/FLORAL combo, PLAID/FLORAL COMBO or if you wanted to get really wild, mix sets for a SOLID/PLAID/FLORAL combo. Throw in CHECKS for good measure.
Oh there are all sorts of combos that can be down. I just do not have the storage space to store the dozen flat sheets I would have to buy to get the "third" sheet. I like the quilts and duvets I have now. Granny does not third sheet.

gillumhouse said:
Oh there are all sorts of combos that can be down. I just do not have the storage space to store the dozen flat sheets I would have to buy to get the "third" sheet. I like the quilts and duvets I have now. Granny does not third sheet.
I realize that this could be a problem for larger inns. We only have two rooms. Though very different in style and decor, we were able to color coordinate the bedding to be interchangeable between rooms. So, we have extra fitted sheets and that's about it. These and another set serve as our "backup" sheets in case someone has an accident during their stay. It also makes for a quick change between guests.
If someone is just starting out, the same could be done for larger configurations if enough thought is put into it. The problems comes from having each room so totally unique, that sheets from one would not work in another. Just stick to a basic color pallette throughout and it could be done easily. The paint and furnishings and even the bed itself will make each room unique.

gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
I seriously wish I had considered this before opting to buy the sheets I did. This is exactly the look I like, I just thought others wouldn't appreciate it and would think I just didn't have enough matching sheet sets to go around! I'll take it under advisement as I have to start replacing sheets and dang ol' JCP stopped carrying the line I was buying.

There are at least two sources for open stock sheets that I know of - American Hotel Registry carries white or ivory sheets, including all-cotton options, in quantity lots and the Company Store sells prints, solids and monogrammed flat sheets individually. They may be more expensive but if you regard a nice, high-quality, printed top sheet as an alternative to a bedspread or coverlet, maybe they're not so bad.
I have seen all-white decor at some B&Bs - the Bellmoor in Rehoboth Beach and the Kehoe House in Savannah. I have been told by folks in the biz that this is a growing trend even among B&Bs. It's not what I would do, though. My thought was to use a solid set for the bottom and a printed sheet on top - mixing and matching is what gives it the shabby chic look. If I decided to go the triple sheet route that is what I would consider - using open-source flat sheets in coordinating colors, maybe with the Inn's monogram. I think that would be a pretty and B&B-appropriate look. Unfortunately I have a lifetime supply of matelasse comforters and print sheets sets, so it won't be happening any time soon!.
muirford said:
... They may be more expensive but if you regard a nice, high-quality, printed top sheet as an alternative to a bedspread or coverlet, maybe they're not so bad.
The point I was attempting to make is that we used a less expensive, but good quality sheet as the third sheet. Everyone sleeps between the high thread-count sheets and doesn't even notice the texture of the 3rd. We found our top sheets during a Penny's white sale.

gillumhouse said:
I realize that this could be a problem for larger inns. We only have two rooms. Though very different in style and decor, we were able to color coordinate the bedding to be interchangeable between rooms. So, we have extra fitted sheets and that's about it. These and another set serve as our "backup" sheets in case someone has an accident during their stay. It also makes for a quick change between guests.
If someone is just starting out, the same could be done for larger configurations if enough thought is put into it. The problems comes from having each room so totally unique, that sheets from one would not work in another. Just stick to a basic color pallette throughout and it could be done easily. The paint and furnishings and even the bed itself will make each room unique.
I bought the best I could afford when I opened 13 years ago and am still using some of the original linens. Since I took half of my storage room to create a private ensuite bath, I have 50 pounds of stuffing in a 5 pound casing. It is not as bad now (summer) as it will be in another month or two when the A/C units come out of the windows and go back into the storage room.
Most of the full-size sheets will go in either room. I have a couple sets that are just for that one room. Only have one queen bed upstairs (we get the rejects from that room for us). When I but sheets, I try to get an extra set of pillowcases and I also have several pair of white and other contrasting colors that I can use in case I have neglected to keep my appointment with the dreaded ironing board.
In winter we go to flannel and I get to put the dreaded ironing board away for a few months..

muirford said:
... They may be more expensive but if you regard a nice, high-quality, printed top sheet as an alternative to a bedspread or coverlet, maybe they're not so bad.
The point I was attempting to make is that we used a less expensive, but good quality sheet as the third sheet. Everyone sleeps between the high thread-count sheets and doesn't even notice the texture of the 3rd. We found our top sheets during a Penny's white sale.
I'm with ya' - I mixed and matched sheets on my own bed way before I had a B&B and before I had ever heard of shabby chic. We bought used oak furniture (now antiques) when we first had a house because it was cheaper and more plentiful in upstate New York than the furniture store stuff. It just takes a little hunting (bargain, that is - not wild pig) sometimes.

muirford said:
I considered doing triple sheeting but it won't happen until I get help (too many sheets to wash & iron). If I ever go to triple sheeting, the top flat sheet will be white and monogrammed so that it can coordinate with any of the guest rooms and beds. (Total 8 beds here, only one King.)
That mix and match look is attractive but I don't want to keep track of all that since our rooms are all different. I know I've said before that our linens get comments from almost all our guests.

BEDSPREADS are what you are talking about. Not many B&B's use those.
There is no worldly way to wash quilts/comforters/blankets after each guest. Not enough time in the day to do that amount of laundry and we might as well stand at the window and throw money out to the wind. They would not hold up to that sort of treatment (even if they said washable).
We do not wash the sofas or chairs either. We do our best to keep everything germ free and of course provide clean sheets/pillowcases. But like the rugs in the room, we can vacuum, we can lysol, we cannot deep clean every thing in between guests. It is impossible..
So I guess I didn't word my question quite right, I was actually just asking a general question about "bed covers" and changing/washing. Sorry if there was confusion. I have a look I'd like to achieve and love the look from custom linens say like Rachel Ashwell or Laura Ashley. Not saying exactly those but you get the idea. I understand that it's likely not possible to wash everyday. I'm sure I'll find out down the road that my idea could be pricey if they get stained. But it's a look I love. So I'm wondering then...what your choice would be between bedspread, comforter or duvet?
We opted for a second top sheet (print) that coordinates with the fitted and cover sheet. This serves as a bedspread, looks pretty and can be washed with the other sheets after each guest. Blankets can be sandwiched between the two top sheets. We put down comforters and the like in duvets that will get wash on a regular basis, but not as often.

Finden Sie die neuste brautkleider 2012, Brautmode 2012 für Ihre Traum Brautkleid. Custom Brautkleid design nach dem Foto.
Die romantische Meerjungfrau Hochzeitskleid ist eine einfache, aber elegante Kleidung. Dieses Kleid ist so konzipiert, damit Sie sehen sehr charmanten Stil und Flair für Ihre Veranstaltung perfekt. Wenn Sie eine große Schlüsselbein, breite Schultern, schöne Arme und keine haben, das ist definitiv das Kleid für Sie. Es ist das Kleid, das du jemals romantisch für Ihren besonderen Anlass.
Sie können wählen ein Design Stil eines trägerlosen und rückenfreie. Das schafft Vertrauen in Ihren großen Tag günstige ballkleider abendkleid online shop abendkleid online shop ballkleid online , wenn Sie nicht mit trägerlosen Kleidern zufrieden sind. Die Gurte helfen das Kleid in einer Weise, die Ihnen das Vertrauen im Gegensatz zu den Klammern, die von der Büste gehört. Allerdings, abendkleider wenn Sie brechen Ihr Vertrauen ist die beste Option für die Bewegung Trägern.
Auf der anderen Seite, wenn deine Liebe zurück ist, nur das Kleid für Sie. Die romantische Meerjungfrau Kleid Hochzeitskleid mit einem Halfter, wo Sie Ihren Rücken für Ihre schönen großen Tag zeigen kann. Allerdings, brautmoden online shop brautmoden online shop wenn Sie zurück sind bequem mit dem Rücken abendkleid online shop , gibt es eine Option für sie. Dies ist ein Kleid entworfen, um Ihre schönsten Träume für Ihre Hochzeit zu erfüllen.
Das gesamte Design ist ein Stand der Technik. Mit diesem Kleid finden Sie garantiert Ihre schöne Figur zu verbessern. Das Kleid ist aus einem leichten Baumwoll-Material, brautkleider a-linie das auf Ihren Körper fällt für eine beruhigende Gefühl, und günstige abendkleider und günstige abendkleider und sie besitzen einen reibungslosen Ablauf a. Es ist Ihr Körper flach in der Brust bis zu den Knöcheln, schwang Ihren Körper schöner Körper mit großer Faszination. Der Boden ist glatt und die Füße breit verbirgt den Stil.
Erschwerend kommt hinzu brautmode und abendmode , gibt es verschiedene Größen für alle. Wenn Sie kleine Brüste und breite Hüften oder Körpergröße haben, brautkleid kaufen brautkleid kaufen gibt es verschiedene Kleidung für Sie konzipiert. Lassen Sie sich nicht Ihre Größe Ihrer Sündenbock sein, können Sie wählen, was Ihnen am besten passt und genießen Sie Ihren großen Tag in besonderer Weise.
günstiges brautkleid

Back