Newbies: Need Advice on what to ask (pertaining to Booking Websites)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of those in your list the only ones I have ever used are ResNExus and ReservationKey. And for me would be the only ones I would consider. The other???
11 Rooms to take on first thing...YIKES that is scary. But your drawings look amazing....going to be one IMPRESSIVE PLACE. Did you have to jump through alot of city hoops to make it happen or were they open to what you wanted to do?
You are going to be hiring a bunch of staff I presume.
Integrate with FB. Guess ResNexus does that but don't have a clue what they do but you have to be on their high end level for it, so more $$$
ResKey can be monthly or yearly. Your size: $30 a month
Basis ResNexus: $120 a month
Both will do real time bookings, integrate with various payment systems etc. mobile friendly so up to you to see what you like best
I see you will have Queen beds in most. You may want to reconsider and put in a few kings if at all possible.
Good luck..
EmptyNest said:
I see you will have Queen beds in most. You may want to reconsider and put in a few kings if at all possible.
I swim against the tide here in that all our beds are Queens, my logic for our place (mom & pop motel) was that it let me upgrade a guest to a larger room with 2 beds without downgrading them to a smaller bed, only 2 of our rooms have one bed so it can make it more efficient for me to shift a guest to a larger room.
Me personally will always pick a room with a King bed. And I will not pick a place that doesn't offer one.
EmptyNest said:
Me personally will always pick a room with a King bed. And I will not pick a place that doesn't offer one.
not many guests will choose Queen bed properties. If they are choosing between properties the King will win hands down.
Another perspective : We are all Queen beds and all is fine and dandy!
Thanks, good to know that I'm not the only one. Me individually I don't like a King as I tend to feel like I'm sleeping alone after being snuggled in a standard double bed together for over 50 years.
depends on your market as well - mine is single business travelers weekdays happy with a double and couples on the weekend only.

I inherited a Rezovations system and switched over after year one to ResNexus. I don't recommend the former; I'm very happy with the latter although it is not inexpensive.
I have 9 rooms with a 10th backup room so I'm sort of in your same size range. ResNexus does allow both FB integration and connection with iCal programs by adding MyAllocator to the mix (another $25 a month). I find the combination works well for me, since I am on most of the major OTAs. If you're not going to use OTAs, then MyAllocator really isn't necessary. It will integrate with Air, VRBO and some of the others, but because of their limitations will only allow you to keep availability up to date - pricing must still be adjusted on the sites themselves.
It allows you to integrate the booking engine with your website, and they'll even work on the design so it isn't so obvious when your customers have switched from your site to theirs.
I will say the customer service at ResNexus has been exemplary. They're always super friendly, super helpful and quickly responsive.

of those in your list the only ones I have ever used are ResNExus and ReservationKey. And for me would be the only ones I would consider. The other???
11 Rooms to take on first thing...YIKES that is scary. But your drawings look amazing....going to be one IMPRESSIVE PLACE. Did you have to jump through alot of city hoops to make it happen or were they open to what you wanted to do?
Integrate with FB. Guess ResNexus does that but don't have a clue what they do but you have to be on their high end level for it, so more $$$
Both will do real time bookings, integrate with various payment systems etc. mobile friendly so up to you to see what you like best
Good luck..
EmptyNest said:
I swim against the tide here in that all our beds are Queens, my logic for our place (mom & pop motel) was that it let me upgrade a guest to a larger room with 2 beds without downgrading them to a smaller bed, only 2 of our rooms have one bed so it can make it more efficient for me to shift a guest to a larger room.
EmptyNest said:
not many guests will choose Queen bed properties. If they are choosing between properties the King will win hands down.
Thanks, good to know that I'm not the only one. Me individually I don't like a King as I tend to feel like I'm sleeping alone after being snuggled in a standard double bed together for over 50 years.
JimBoone said:
Me individually I don't like a King...
Everybody gets to do things their own way. I've had good luck by NOT doing things the way I personally would like them, but by doing things the way most guests would like them. It's not me in those rooms.
Arks said:
JimBoone said:
Everybody gets to do things their own way. I've had good luck by NOT doing things the way I personally would like them, but by doing things the way most guests would like them. It's not me in those rooms.
Arks I completely agree with you, from a business view it is about what the traveler likes, but at times I'm also a traveler who is ignored by properties that felt everyone desired a King bed.
From a business view we only recently moved from full/double beds to queens so a step up from where we were in the past, having the same size in all rooms gives me greater flexibility when we need to shift a guest between rooms to accommodate another reservation and I doubt all kings would fit. True we do get a few guests that would have preferred a king bed just as I would prefer not to have one when I travel.

This is like the B&B debate about one big table for breakfast or individual tables. People complain we don't have one big table that is what they love about B&B's...people complain they are forced to sit with strangers. It is 6 of one half dozen of another. We can all sell why a queen, full or king bed works better.
It all comes to our own experience and preferences. Sleep with someone who snores you probably have separate bedrooms - and when on a trip need two queens, even more drastic than just one king. :) As a person traveling alone some beds can have a divot in the middle which you sink into, maybe a king with two separate box springs solves that. It is all relative.

Good luck..
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
JimBoone said:
Arks said:
JimBoone said:
Arks I completely agree with you, from a business view it is about what the traveler likes, but at times I'm also a traveler who is ignored by properties that felt everyone desired a King bed.
From a business view we only recently moved from full/double beds to queens so a step up from where we were in the past, having the same size in all rooms gives me greater flexibility when we need to shift a guest between rooms to accommodate another reservation and I doubt all kings would fit. True we do get a few guests that would have preferred a king bed just as I would prefer not to have one when I travel.
We did the change over from doubles to queens also. Lots more happy guests!
But, that meant removing the twin bed that was in the room. Some unhappy guests. But others liked that we now had regular chairs to sit on instead of having to sit in the bed.
I keep trying to find 'one more room' to stuff a king bed in as we do get requests we can't fill with the layout as is.
But, most everyone is happy with the queen beds.

This is like the B&B debate about one big table for breakfast or individual tables. People complain we don't have one big table that is what they love about B&B's...people complain they are forced to sit with strangers. It is 6 of one half dozen of another. We can all sell why a queen, full or king bed works better.
It all comes to our own experience and preferences. Sleep with someone who snores you probably have separate bedrooms - and when on a trip need two queens, even more drastic than just one king. :) As a person traveling alone some beds can have a divot in the middle which you sink into, maybe a king with two separate box springs solves that. It is all relative..
How true about the tables!

Good luck..
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
JimBoone said:
Arks said:
JimBoone said:
But, that meant removing the twin bed that was in the room. Some unhappy guests. But others liked that we now had regular chairs to sit on instead of having to sit in the bed.
I keep trying to find 'one more room' to stuff a king bed in as we do get requests we can't fill with the layout as is.
Morticia said:
Like sodas our rooms come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large. Small is a little smaller than the normal motel room and has 1 queen bed, a king would likely crowd out other comfort features. Medium is probably the average size motel room, a king would fit, but 2 kings would crowd and we get a number of families that need 2 beds. Large is probably 1.5 times the size of a normal motel room, corner with small fridge, microwave and coffee on a counter and small table, 2 queen beds and 1 twin bed. Larger families like the large rooms or when several guys are traveling together, 2 kings would fit in these 2 rooms, but would eliminate the twin, disservice to the larger family or our guys that want their own bed. For now this seems to work best for our operation.

Good luck..
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
JimBoone said:
Arks said:
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
Like sodas our rooms come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large. Small is a little smaller than the normal motel room and has 1 queen bed, a king would likely crowd out other comfort features. Medium is probably the average size motel room, a king would fit, but 2 kings would crowd and we get a number of families that need 2 beds. Large is probably 1.5 times the size of a normal motel room, corner with small fridge, microwave and coffee on a counter and small table, 2 queen beds and 1 twin bed. Larger families like the large rooms or when several guys are traveling together, 2 kings would fit in these 2 rooms, but would eliminate the twin, disservice to the larger family or our guys that want their own bed. For now this seems to work best for our operation.
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
I was at first going to call you Goldie Locks. That would be cute to have on your choice of rooms in how to pick them. Your small is much bigger than a hotel room in the U.K. I bet they have a standard measurement to describe it over there. And oddly enough our UK guests always arrive here with the largest luggage.Over there you couldn't fit the luggage and yourself in most rooms (yes from experience I speak).

Good luck..
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
JimBoone said:
Arks said:
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
JimBoone said:
Morticia said:
You've got your market down to a science!
We made a deliberate change to our market by removing that twin bed in several rooms - fewer families, fewer friends bunking 3 to a room, easier breakfast as we now have 3 fewer guests to feed (and only room for half of them any time).
That's the secret to hanging on for many years - knowing the market you want, or the market that best serves your goals.
Something every newbie should think about rather than just letting the brokers and 'gurus' tell them what they should do.

I understand every property and every guest has different needs. For us, we have a lot of Honeymoons and anniversaries. So for us the King bed is very important to have. If I had a property with same size rooms and amentires I might try having one Queen and one King to see if one rents more than the other. It seems to me a room with a King bed can be up charged for a little more money. So it might be more of a money maker in the long run if you at least have 1 King and have the space for it.

It all comes to our own experience and preferences. Sleep with someone who snores you probably have separate bedrooms - and when on a trip need two queens, even more drastic than just one king. :) As a person traveling alone some beds can have a divot in the middle which you sink into, maybe a king with two separate box springs solves that. It is all relative..
JBloggs said:
1) and when on a trip need two queens, even more drastic than just one king. :)
2) As a person traveling alone some beds can have a divot in the middle which you sink into, maybe a king with two separate box springs solves that. It is all relative.
1) 3 rooms total last night, 2 couples travelling together in one vehicle, 2 rooms with 2 beds, all slept separate, another with a couple and daughter. I hope guests find us a nice place to stay, yet a bit more reasonable than the big hotels since we are a bit out of town, would say most of our guests are just everyday folks, the large majority really nice folks.
2) I admit I shop for bargains, but that is what we usually find, either we are falling into divot in the middle of the bed or clinging to the edge looking for a firm spot. The exception was a chain hotel in the Wilmington area, probably best hotel mattress I ever slept on, would have liked the name of the mattress for future reference.

JBloggs said:
2) As a person traveling alone some beds can have a divot in the middle which you sink into, maybe a king with two separate box springs solves that. It is all relative.
1) 3 rooms total last night, 2 couples travelling together in one vehicle, 2 rooms with 2 beds, all slept separate, another with a couple and daughter. I hope guests find us a nice place to stay, yet a bit more reasonable than the big hotels since we are a bit out of town, would say most of our guests are just everyday folks, the large majority really nice folks.
2) I admit I shop for bargains, but that is what we usually find, either we are falling into divot in the middle of the bed or clinging to the edge looking for a firm spot. The exception was a chain hotel in the Wilmington area, probably best hotel mattress I ever slept on, would have liked the name of the mattress for future reference.
When I found the 'best pillows ever' I took the pillowcase off and looked for a name! If it wasn't too long ago, email them and ask.

JBloggs said:
When I found the 'best pillows ever' I took the pillowcase off and looked for a name! If it wasn't too long ago, email them and ask.
Morticia said:
I may do just that, good suggestion. I did pull back the sheet to look for a label, but mattress was in a bag so I stopped. I've always been a bit amazed at guests that felt the need to arrange furniture or pictures differently during their overnight stay, didn't want to be that kind of guest.

JBloggs said:
Morticia said:
I may do just that, good suggestion. I did pull back the sheet to look for a label, but mattress was in a bag so I stopped. I've always been a bit amazed at guests that felt the need to arrange furniture or pictures differently during their overnight stay, didn't want to be that kind of guest.
Id have asked most people are flattered and take it as a compliment

JBloggs said:
Morticia said:
We have had at least half dozen guest request info on our beds and then go buy one (locally made), rent a U-haul or strap on roof of the SUV.

JBloggs said:
Morticia said:
Jcam said:
Think I did comment at the desk, but unlike our properties this was a large hotel property where you don't have that connection between the person at the desk and the persons that make decisions. We were overnight for a funeral and limited time as well.

I know this post was from awhile ago. May I ask which booking engine/website you decided on? Are you happy with your choice?
Thanks!

We use Rezstream and are very happy. It's all we've ever used, so I can't really compare them to any other. We did look at other systems (Think Reservations, and a couple of others) at a PAII conference before we started. Rezstream seemed to have all of the basic functions that we thought we needed at the time. We were newbies then.
And they do, plus they keep moving forward with improvements. Their tech support is awesome. I've been more than happy with them and don't see changing anytime soon.

Back