Nice feedback on our Newsletter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
We just started sending an email newsletter with any regularity two years ago. We've been sending approximately 4 per year, once per season. Sometimes we don't get one sent out in the busy season so it only ends up being 3 per year. I also try to make sure we're sharing local news and not just stuff pertaining to the Inn. We sent our first for this year today and I just received this really nice email in reply, it made my day. Thought the info might be helpful to anyone who sends a newsletter or is considering one:
"We stayed with you last year and still talk about what a great time we had. I am looking forward to an opportunity to return. Just wanted to give you a little feedback on your e-mails, as I doubt people bother very often, unless they want to complain. I think your timing of your communications is exactly where it should be. You send me something just often enough to always keep it in the back of my mind that I do want to come back, and not so often that I become annoyed at the frequency. I have signed up for similar mailing lists from other places and then receive something at least once or twice a week from a single vacation destination -- that's too much! I end up unsubscribing, and then the organization has defeated its own purpose."

perfect! do you put in a 'mention our newsletter to receive a discount on your next stay' in there? my guests who were newsletter fans loved that.

perfect! do you put in a 'mention our newsletter to receive a discount on your next stay' in there? my guests who were newsletter fans loved that..
No, we don't do individual discounts. But the newsletter itself was touting our reduced winter rates and our online booking discount. AND after I sent the newsletter out we got a bunch of new Facebook fans so I was happy!

Good feedback on the frequency. I tried to buy a sweater from Eddie Bauer before Christmas and when I got to the 'preview your order' page and saw they were going to charge me a 'handling' fee, I quit the page and didn't order. But, by golly they had my email at that point and emailed every single day for weeks about this sale and that sale. As bad as J Jill.
We send ours out once/month, year round. I take notes all month on what I want to write about so it helps in the busy season.
BUT, I just finished January's and it took me 4 hours, at least to get it all set up. I need to have the webpages done that I want to link to in the email, at least I don't have to do the FB thing again, that's done. But, there's so much set up!

perfect! do you put in a 'mention our newsletter to receive a discount on your next stay' in there? my guests who were newsletter fans loved that..
No, we don't do individual discounts. But the newsletter itself was touting our reduced winter rates and our online booking discount. AND after I sent the newsletter out we got a bunch of new Facebook fans so I was happy!
Yeah, I'm hoping for the new fans, too. I may just post the link on here and ask everyone to be my fan!

Good timing Rupes, I just unsubscribed to something less than one minute ago. I agreed to an annual info newsletter and am getting them weekly! I agree with that guest, seasonal is very informative (preseasonal is harder to do but would give me reason to come and visit) and I would appreciate that, I think it is very tasteful. I still get email announcements from an inn I inquired about 2 years ago, never stayed there, and will never stay there. Nice work!

What I have to do now is learn how to be short and sweet! Do a nice lead in to a story and then say, 'click here to read more.' But that means I have to have the 'rest of the story' on a webpage somewhere.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the new fans, too. I may just post the link on here and ask everyone to be my fan!
I was gonna say, you got at least one new FB fan today
tounge_smile.gif

I was gonna say, you got at least one new FB fan today
tounge_smile.gif

yay!

Back