Nice guests.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
We recently had a tragic death in our (very small) town - the funeral is today and our current batch of guests are here to attend.
My experience with grieving people has been consistent here - not thinking completely straight, distracted, alway remembering one more thing...I have tried to stay one step ahead, thinking for them what they might need. Between them & DH, we're getting through it.
Now, even with all their dealing with - this has been one of the nicest sets of guests -- ever.
They have been flexible, open, listen and pay attention when I answer their questions, apologize over the tiniest slight (things most guests wouldn't even "remember" to mention...)
They have requested to check-out late - for which, I am informed, they will pay - because they want to change after the funeral.
I'm not charging them. If they ask, I'm sorely tempted to tell them it's a guest-who-is-considerate-and-thoughtful discount. But I think I will have to think of something more professional sounding.

Red Handed Jill said:
We recently had a tragic death in our (very small) town - the funeral is today
So sorry to hear this....
I'm not charging them. If they ask, I'm sorely tempted to tell them it's a guest-who-is-considerate-and-thoughtful discount. But I think I will have to think of something more professional sounding.
"Becuase I am the boss and I say so" :)

These are the times when being an innkeeper is a very special profession. Receiving solitude at this time is very valuable, having a warm hello and a cup of coffee...in your setting...none of this you can get at a hotel.
Well done Jill.

They'll remember your kindness, Jill. A simple, "No worries, there's no charge" is good enough. They'll get it....

These are the times when being an innkeeper is a very special profession. Receiving solitude at this time is very valuable, having a warm hello and a cup of coffee...in your setting...none of this you can get at a hotel.
Well done Jill..
we have a regular who is super nice used to stay with us to visit her parents mother had altzimers and the stress of it basically killed her father (mother first dad soon after) the whole family stayed with us to go to the funeral we made them all coffee (for free) and they nearly cried and it was such a cheap and simple thing to do. Some people are just nice makes all the difference.

Well done Jill..
we have a regular who is super nice used to stay with us to visit her parents mother had altzimers and the stress of it basically killed her father (mother first dad soon after) the whole family stayed with us to go to the funeral we made them all coffee (for free) and they nearly cried and it was such a cheap and simple thing to do. Some people are just nice makes all the difference.
that is so nice kind of you. really, really kind.
bless you.

In your thoughtfulness and kindness, you let them know better than ANY other way possible that B & B is the better way to stay - because innkeepers actually CARE! Thank you for being a testimony to our profession.

I'm very sorry about this family's tragedy, but this thread got me to thinking:
Do any of you network with the local funeral homes? Do you offer bereavement rates?

Do any of you network with the local funeral homes? Do you offer bereavement rates?.
Proud Texan said:
Do any of you network with the local funeral homes? Do you offer bereavement rates?
I have always had a breavement rate. There is a funeral home catty-corner across the street from me - last year, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 14 YEARS - they sent me a room!!! I almost fell over! We have 3 funeral homes, they ALL know me (maybe that is the problem) but I rarely ever get funeral guests. When I do it is because family in town told them. I even list the funeral homes WITH the fact we do a bereavement rate on my web site. (Not big letters of course, but it is there WITH distance to each funeral home. Many inns get a lot of business from put-of-towners coming for a funeral.

Do any of you network with the local funeral homes? Do you offer bereavement rates?.
I had friends with B & B across the street from the funeral home...their best client :)

I had friends with B & B across the street from the funeral home...their best client :)
catlady said:
I thought it would be that way for us also. I guess I forgot to "kiss the ring" when we first got here. The family is quite pleasant to us (we go to the same church even), but I did not fall into line with the late owner (the dad) with his freaking stump of a cigar in my face every time he talked to us. At least this way, I can say we made it on our own - I do not owe my success in remaining in business to them. (Who is going to come to Shinnston? was the town opinion when we opened.)

Back