Nice Valentine's - Now I am trembling..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Last month my all-in-one printer died and I have been holding off replacing it - low season makes empty pockets. DH took me to the office supply store today and bought me the all-in-one I wanted as a Valentine's present. I told him long ago that if he ever got me flowers on Valentine's I would smack him - I am too practical. The printer will out-last the flowers any day.
Got an HP 6310 that has some really nice features on it (ink costs more than the cheaper model but still less than my previous cartridges). Now comes the hard part - I have NEVER hooked any of this stuff together before. I always bought it from the computer guy in town - but he moved out of town now - and he always came over and got the sick computer, made it well and returned it and every time I got a new piece of equipment, he hooked it up. OK, so I am a weenie, that is life. I know enough about this stuff to be truly dangerous (remember my background was mainframe and this ain't mainframe).
I have decrapified everything enough to be able to put everything side by side tomorrow and I am hoping I can just unplug one connection from the old and into the new with everything one at a time and pray it works (one reason I got HP is replacing one HP with another plus I was happy with the old HP). Cross fingers for me that i get it all working.......

Oh, for Pete's sake! You have enough computer knowledge in your little finger to get that sucker working! You'll have it up and going in no time and wonder what you were worried about!
=)
Kk.

Oh, for Pete's sake! You have enough computer knowledge in your little finger to get that sucker working! You'll have it up and going in no time and wonder what you were worried about!
=)
Kk..
I hope so. I am also a KLUTZ!

you will do GREAT.
first, decide where the printer is going to sit.
get out a dust cloth because you just might find dust bunnies hiding.
do you have a digital camera? get that ready.
unpack the printer and set everything out
assemble the printer according to the diagram - there is usually a big sort of laminated sheet with pictures and a cd for installing the printer - don't forget to take out any styrofoam blocks from inside the printer
take a picture of how things (cables) are connected just in case you unplug something and don't remember where it goes
untangle the power cords and various other cords as you go
dust off the cords and secret places ... tell the dust bunnies to scram ... this is a perfect time to dust off the back of the cpu and whatevers
connect the printer to your computer and plug it in (that's usually what the directions say) and then get your ink cartridges ready
for when you are told to install it or them
put the cd in and let it tell the computer it's there
don't forget you need paper
i'm not going to tell you what to do because i know you will follow the directions
let us know how it turns out

you will do GREAT.
first, decide where the printer is going to sit.
get out a dust cloth because you just might find dust bunnies hiding.
do you have a digital camera? get that ready.
unpack the printer and set everything out
assemble the printer according to the diagram - there is usually a big sort of laminated sheet with pictures and a cd for installing the printer - don't forget to take out any styrofoam blocks from inside the printer
take a picture of how things (cables) are connected just in case you unplug something and don't remember where it goes
untangle the power cords and various other cords as you go
dust off the cords and secret places ... tell the dust bunnies to scram ... this is a perfect time to dust off the back of the cpu and whatevers
connect the printer to your computer and plug it in (that's usually what the directions say) and then get your ink cartridges ready
for when you are told to install it or them
put the cd in and let it tell the computer it's there
don't forget you need paper
i'm not going to tell you what to do because i know you will follow the directions
let us know how it turns out.
ps i HAD one of those at the inn ... or one very similar very very ... similar ... it did just what i needed. not a 'workhorse' for making bunches of copies or printing tons of pages but a nice little gadget that did everything i needed.

Update: It only took about half an hour to figure out which part of the paper tray was which and get it put in. Got the power cord attached and plugged in, and the phone cords in the proper slots. Installed the color cartridge and then the black. NOW the freaking machine is telling me the black cartridge is not the correct one for this machine - IT CAME IN THE BOX!! It says a 92 or a 98 and they gave me a 98. So I called the HP help line. I get a man who sounds like he is from India and I cannot understand him! I finally told him, apologizing for the problem but I CANNOT UNDERSTAND YOU. They are supposed to have a supervisor call me back within 10 minutes. I just cannot understand his words and speech pattern.
I do not want to mess anything up, but the cartridge came in the box. The information says it is a correct number. Grrrr!! I have now been trying to set this up for 2 hours! More as I go on.
Oh, and I somehow knocked the tower with my external drive and now the external drave is not active. Lovely!

that is the correct ink.
make sure the little tape is off the cartridge? pop it out, put in in so the little metal things are read by the printer.
but first. what, your external drive needs reconnecting? any lose wires? if you go to device manager, does it say the drive is not working?
check all your wires and reboot the whole shebang (with the installation cd OUT of the drive) but everything plugged in and see what happens
keep us up to date
i just like to plug stuff in, start stuff up and have it WORK. installing and connecting . blech

that is the correct ink.
make sure the little tape is off the cartridge? pop it out, put in in so the little metal things are read by the printer.
but first. what, your external drive needs reconnecting? any lose wires? if you go to device manager, does it say the drive is not working?
check all your wires and reboot the whole shebang (with the installation cd OUT of the drive) but everything plugged in and see what happens
keep us up to date
i just like to plug stuff in, start stuff up and have it WORK. installing and connecting . blech.
I just jiggled the connection on the external drive. Moved it around a bit and found if I stand the power supply on end it is OK. I can tell by whether the blue light is lit. It automatically attaches when plugged in.
I have been on the phone with tech for the last hour. They are sending another print cartridge which will arrive on Feb 17. Right! I am going to go into town an BUY another cartridge. and if that does not work I will go BACK to town with the darn thing boxed up and tell them I want another one.
While i am in town I can get my roses. My name was drawn this morning at the radio station as the winner of a dozen roses. Bless Reuben!!
So for now I am at an impass. I have one printer on top of the file cabinet where it will reside, the old printer taking up half of my desk (yes I got a spot cleaned off for it!), the answering machine is sitting on top of my cc machine, one speaker is on its side in front of the old printer, and the phone is sitting on top of the old printer. Have gone through several avalanches of stuff already this morning! What a mess!!
Now you understand why I was apprehensive. Oh the tech was in the Phillipines!

Latest Update: New ink cartridge did the trick. Now I have a City Council meeting and it is dark so I will wait until morning to do the connect to the computer and install. I will do it before I bring up the system since it will probably require a reboot.
What a day!

so, you had a defective ink cartridge and now it all works? yippee!
and you WON a dozen roses?! how lovely!

and you WON a dozen roses?! how lovely!.
In the morning when I can see better I will attempt the interesting part - installing it and connecting the cable between the printer and the computer. Just got another bit of news - new thread!

and you WON a dozen roses?! how lovely!.
In the morning when I can see better I will attempt the interesting part - installing it and connecting the cable between the printer and the computer. Just got another bit of news - new thread!
Kathleen, just plug it in before you install the software with the disc. I have the same printer and I followed the directions like a good little girl first time around and it failed. I had to delete the new software and try again.
Next time I just plugged that sucker in and let the computer tell me what to do. I think it found a driver in the secret reaches of it's memory...anyway, it worked.
Good luck, and congrats on the new job!

Final Update (I hope): We all know I am a klutz - the kind who when wrapping Christmas presents puts down the tape to cut a piece of paper and then, even though have not moved, cannot find the tape.
Well this morning when I went to connect the USB I could not find it!! I had everything in the on tub I have been emptying - I thought. I kow I saw it. Well after wasting several hours looking through piles, and piles, and creating new piles even DH said why don't you just go buy another one - I had just called the store to verify they had one.
While i was out I picked up some chocolate roses at the chocolatier for my Deployment that is coming for Valentines.
Got home, connected it, disconnected the old printer totally, then had to remember to remove it from the computer. I have finally hit lift-off. Thank you Springlady for the info about just connect it. It worked. Now I have to learn another photo fixer! So far this one has not shown me a save in whatever dpi - i will miss that if it is not there. Perhaps reading the manual will help.

Back