Nightime treats

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee C.

Reaction score
Do you leave nighttime goodies (candy, cookies) in the rooms for your guests?

Yes, we always put out some sort of dessert in the evening and wrapped Ghiardelli Choc. squares on the pillows. There is always a full dish of assorted candy and chocolates in all the rooms as well. We only have 3 rooms, so it is not a big deal to do. For someone with a larger place this could be a time and money issue to do. Something you have to decide for yourself. If your room rate is low, maybe not...if higher...a little amenity to provide to guests.

I put out cookies, etc in the afternoon. They stay out until morning (in a covered container). I don't put anything in the guest rooms unless they ask for something to be there on arrival.

the baked goodies were in the guest library with the make your own coffee/tea/cocoa supplies. only if guests would be getting back late and were hoping to snag a piece of pie or whatever did i put it in their room because it was popular and getting gone. baked goods, especially when it's cold out, with hot drink at nite, can get gobbled up fast and you sometimes have a guest or two who treat 'the cookie jar' as their own private stash.
i put a circle of hershey kisses on the bed tray on each bed. i saw it on some website a few years back and thought it looked so simple yet so appealing. for a time i bought chocolate covered blueberries and bagged them up with a note but they were expensive and guests never commented so i stopped.

Nothing in the rooms, but a different delectable dessert out every evening along with coffee, cocoa, cider and teas.

I make some kind of sweet treat every afternoon. Usually, they are plated and left in each guest room. Sometimes, I will leave the afternoon treat in the guest service area upstairs in our Main House so that I don't enter the rooms again. (There is coffee service and a fridge there.) If there are a bunch of folks here together and I bake a cake, I leave it on the dining room table on a cake stand with everything they need and sometimes an additional season beverage (iced tea or hot cider).
There are turndown chocolates left at the bedside so that they have them regardless of whether we can get back into the room to do turn down. I like the simple idea of the Hershey kisses circle!

Nothing in the rooms, but a different delectable dessert out every evening along with coffee, cocoa, cider and teas..
Little Blue said:
Nothing in the rooms, but a different delectable dessert out every evening along with coffee, cocoa, cider and teas.
Do you have an area where the guests can sit down and eat their dessert? I have the dining room table but I set that up the night before so therefore it can't be used for anything. The only other option I would have if for the guest to take the desert to their room and eat it there. I just make cookies right now and those are always a hit.

Nothing in the rooms, but a different delectable dessert out every evening along with coffee, cocoa, cider and teas..
Little Blue said:
Do you have an area where the guests can sit down and eat their dessert? I have the dining room table but I set that up the night before so therefore it can't be used for anything. The only other option I would have if for the guest to take the desert to their room and eat it there. I just make cookies right now and those are always a hit.
oceans said:
Little Blue said:
Given the crumb trail between the guest area and the rooms, I'd say the treats don't make it that far! If I put out a cake I have plates and forks OUT, not even waiting for guests to remember I told them where all of that was. They can sit in the dining room or the lounge or go to their rooms.

We put out special local chocolate and port in the tasting room, and they are welcome to take it to their room for a nightcap. That's our "turn down" and it works for us since we can put it out any time and not worry about getting into the room to put it there. Guests really like it. We have learned to have two bottles of port and to marry them so not to put out a full bottle or they sometimes drink the whole thing instead of just a nightcap.
Riki

Little Blue said:
Guests can eat their dessert at the dining room table or take back to their room. I find that people like to gather together for dessert and tea/coffee at the table. This is a good thing, as everyone gets to know each other, and I find that it makes everyone much more considerate of each other later at bedtime if they've interacted. TV's are quieter, doors are open and shut more quietly...
D. sets the table in the morning for breakfast.

Little Blue said:
Guests can eat their dessert at the dining room table or take back to their room. I find that people like to gather together for dessert and tea/coffee at the table. This is a good thing, as everyone gets to know each other, and I find that it makes everyone much more considerate of each other later at bedtime if they've interacted. TV's are quieter, doors are open and shut more quietly...
Little Blue said:
So does this mean you make an event out of the serving of the dessert? Do you have a set time when dessert is served? I'd love to have guests gather around for something like this but they are in and out all day long and then all evening it is in and out for dinner.

A couple of questions ... dopey as they may be :(
Riki - when you say you put 2 bottles of port out and "marry" them to prevent people from making it more than a nightcap, what does that mean?
SS - this "circle," I'm sure this sounds really stupid, but how many kisses and are they just bunched up or is it a circle with open space in the middle. The idea is so simple, I'm just trying to get the visual on why it's so effective. Thanks!

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
So does this mean you make an event out of the serving of the dessert? Do you have a set time when dessert is served? I'd love to have guests gather around for something like this but they are in and out all day long and then all evening it is in and out for dinner.
I just tell them that dessert is set out at 8pm, but will be wrapped and waiting if they're not back by then. Very often, guests that have been here together for a couple of days (or repeats) will wait until others are back so they can join them over dessert.
It's always something simple...Chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, caramel pecan cheesecake, but guests act like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Had a repeat single lady here last night on business, told the other guests that she would for sure be back from dinner in time for dessert...really talked up dessert, and then they all sat around together at 8pm for coconut caramel cake and lots of laughter. A large percentage of our online reviewers mention it. Big bang for very little $$$ or effort.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
I just tell them that dessert is set out at 8pm, but will be wrapped and waiting if they're not back by then. Very often, guests that have been here together for a couple of days (or repeats) will wait until others are back so they can join them over dessert.
It's always something simple...Chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, caramel pecan cheesecake, but guests act like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Had a repeat single lady here last night on business, told the other guests that she would for sure be back from dinner in time for dessert...really talked up dessert, and then they all sat around together at 8pm for coconut caramel cake and lots of laughter. A large percentage of our online reviewers mention it. Big bang for very little $$$ or effort.
So you have to be available every night at 8 pm to serve dessert? It sounds so nice, I'm sure your guests love it! I'm in bed by that time. I don't think we could make it happen with 9 rooms. We leave cookies out along with self-serve tea/coffee/cocoa.

My "stuff' is out at check in time, most of the time they are ravenous from driving all day. It gets put away at 8pm. I am ready to turn in by then, any not checked in get a self check in note and I am ready to hit the hay and have some time with my family. I try to do that earlier...try.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
So you have to be available every night at 8 pm to serve dessert? It sounds so nice, I'm sure your guests love it! I'm in bed by that time. I don't think we could make it happen with 9 rooms. We leave cookies out along with self-serve tea/coffee/cocoa.
No..with 9 rooms, I think that would be a little too much for you to do. Cookies are just fine.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
We set ours out in the upstairs guest lounge so they can eat there or in their rooms. Like you say, big bang for little $$. In fact it was well known around town that when waitress asked if they wanted dessert, guests would always say, No, we have it waiting for us back the B & B. Then the waitress would joke, oh you must be staying at XXXX! YEP!!! That was fun:)

Yeah big butt for little bucks...not good to have all those "treats" laying around day in and day out, for the innkeeper I mean! This is why it is better to not be too creative and try to do the same and rotate. That way we are sick of them, but they are new to the guest.

Yeah big butt for little bucks...not good to have all those "treats" laying around day in and day out, for the innkeeper I mean! This is why it is better to not be too creative and try to do the same and rotate. That way we are sick of them, but they are new to the guest..
Yeah big butt for little bucks.
Ha ha.. good one:) But you are right. I hardly ever do any baking any more since we retired. THough did a birthday cake for husband on Sat and he has gobbled most all of it up already!!! Makes me sick...he doesn't gain an ounce and eats like a hog!!!!!! GRRRRRRR.

Back