Nightmare........Lockout

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cooking now so not much time but Cottage lock broke as I was cleaning it (98% done) and I was trying to get back in to finish. After calling 7 people, trying to dismantle the lock, and an hour & half past, ....... a guest crawled through bath window ,he could not get it to work, I called the electrician and they both removed the door, then guest arrived and watch the CIRCUS . Door was reinstalled ,guest inside using the dead bolt and I have to buy a new lock this am after bfast is done . Took about 2 1/2 hours last night.........
Ah..... being an Innkeeper , gives you lasting memories !

this was my morning
(2) Fixed wire testing man turns up without phoning Wednesday morning when they were supposed to call and say when he was coming and announced he was 2 days ahead of himself which is news to me – also might possibly be the most annoying person on the face of the earth. My electrician was also booked for the same morning to look at my emergency lighting as its not working due to electricity not feeding from the battery properly – battery should be replaced every 3 years he says we were told 6 so that’s a job to do – but good thing that terry (regular electrician) was here as fixed testing guy found lots of things wrong and so he worked behind fixed guy fixing the problem so we would pass. Really really angry as apparently work we did 4 years ago and should of everything be up to scratch is not and we paid a ruddy fortune for it – was an electrician recommended by our plumber and I rang him and told him that if he is recommending him he should be wary.
(3) Next shower in room 12 has been broken by guests forcing the hot cold knob all the way round and needs replacing so super nice guests had to use shower in next door room to get a hot shower (would only do cold)
(4) Put chap in room 3 – he went to use shower and all electrics tripped off – new kit we put in detected a fault with the shower so have spent all morning trying to get a plumber to put a new one in and replace the one in room 12 – plumber is now here and no water on. But had to have the electrican out this morning to see if the fault is the shower or new kit we have just put in – but fortunately he could come at 8.30am.
(5) Also forgot we had ordered 2 new zip and link matteresses for room 4 which we were to have delivered today so we went out – fortunately as we were coming back we saw the heavily branded delivery van headed to our house and followed it in to great the very confused new chamber maid! Got sorted as you have to pay the drivers directly for the disposal of the old mattresses – don’t know why you can’t pay at the shop in one go but there you are.
plumber now come so room 3 hopefully back online but still testing - wish me luck
So that was this morning. It is now 1pm

Glad you were able to get things resolved. Wow what a nightmare.

ohmy ohmy ohmy! Once the dust settles, these make great stories. But while you're in the midst of it? wow. Hope all works out for both of you!

The things we go through and usually without anyone knowing. Sometimes they do see us in action - maybe that is good!
Glad you were able to make it work until a real fix!

Brought back memories of the kid slamming the door so hard it locked with the safety on - key does not work at that point. Window that was supposed to be on latch due to 2 locks on it was discovered to have one locked and one unlocked after I crawled through the hall window to the porch roof. The only thing that saved a broken door was it had been a nice day and she (the mother) had opened the window that was supposed to be locked. VFD came over with extension ladder, crawled in, and opened. Couple weeks later, kid pretends tp be asleep in another room with safety lock on. Now I crawl through bathroom window at 1 AM and discover it is raining and THIS porch roof is NOT flat. Opened escape window and screamed at the brat. Told her she was moving out the next week.

this was my morning
(2) Fixed wire testing man turns up without phoning Wednesday morning when they were supposed to call and say when he was coming and announced he was 2 days ahead of himself which is news to me – also might possibly be the most annoying person on the face of the earth. My electrician was also booked for the same morning to look at my emergency lighting as its not working due to electricity not feeding from the battery properly – battery should be replaced every 3 years he says we were told 6 so that’s a job to do – but good thing that terry (regular electrician) was here as fixed testing guy found lots of things wrong and so he worked behind fixed guy fixing the problem so we would pass. Really really angry as apparently work we did 4 years ago and should of everything be up to scratch is not and we paid a ruddy fortune for it – was an electrician recommended by our plumber and I rang him and told him that if he is recommending him he should be wary.
(3) Next shower in room 12 has been broken by guests forcing the hot cold knob all the way round and needs replacing so super nice guests had to use shower in next door room to get a hot shower (would only do cold)
(4) Put chap in room 3 – he went to use shower and all electrics tripped off – new kit we put in detected a fault with the shower so have spent all morning trying to get a plumber to put a new one in and replace the one in room 12 – plumber is now here and no water on. But had to have the electrican out this morning to see if the fault is the shower or new kit we have just put in – but fortunately he could come at 8.30am.
(5) Also forgot we had ordered 2 new zip and link matteresses for room 4 which we were to have delivered today so we went out – fortunately as we were coming back we saw the heavily branded delivery van headed to our house and followed it in to great the very confused new chamber maid! Got sorted as you have to pay the drivers directly for the disposal of the old mattresses – don’t know why you can’t pay at the shop in one go but there you are.
plumber now come so room 3 hopefully back online but still testing - wish me luck
So that was this morning. It is now 1pm.
Small stuff here compared to a lock out. Having a new fence installed after "dig-safe" supposedly marked all lines. Nope. So there I am in the shower, all soaped and shampooed up, when ...dribble....no water. I really needed that shower...spent some time in the ER a couple of days ago and have been in bed with fever ever since. But, at least it was me all soapy and wet...not a guest! Thank goodness we don't open until next weekend!

this was my morning
Small stuff here compared to a lock out. Having a new fence installed after "dig-safe" supposedly marked all lines. Nope. So there I am in the shower, all soaped and shampooed up, when ...dribble....no water. I really needed that shower...spent some time in the ER a couple of days ago and have been in bed with fever ever since. But, at least it was me all soapy and wet...not a guest! Thank goodness we don't open until next weekend!
Hope you're ok! And rinsed. :)

this was my morning
Hope you're ok! And rinsed. :)
Thanks...on the mend and got all the soap out of my ears.
thumbs_up.gif

this was my morning
so the fat heads went through the water line? priceless! my godmother drilled through her mains water pipe inside the house so they had to put their finger in the dyke till the water company could come out and stop it think it was about 5 hours! freezing cold and soaking wet doing shifts with my parents! you don't make that mistake twice!

Glad you were able to get things resolved. Wow what a nightmare..
its what I say to newbies - its not the B&B that's the problem! its all the other stuff that I am quite certain gangs up on you and then all comes at once!

Wow Mary and Jcam! I thought it was bad over here with trying to juggle 32 balls. First we will do….No, no! We have to do…. Nope, have to do this first… Then the apt water heater starts spilling water as it snaps, "I Quit!" Luckily I went out to the apt within the twenty minutes it started. So my aunt and I are running around….. the one maintenance guy is here for the first time of the season. The other one arrives tomorrow to join him….. the plumbers are in the apt putting in the new water heater and they find a gas leak while working…. A young lady shows up around noon to check out the rooms they are renting next month as we try not to look too frazzled…. Now I am waiting for our guests to check in as I catch my breath and something to eat…

Wow Mary and Jcam! I thought it was bad over here with trying to juggle 32 balls. First we will do….No, no! We have to do…. Nope, have to do this first… Then the apt water heater starts spilling water as it snaps, "I Quit!" Luckily I went out to the apt within the twenty minutes it started. So my aunt and I are running around….. the one maintenance guy is here for the first time of the season. The other one arrives tomorrow to join him….. the plumbers are in the apt putting in the new water heater and they find a gas leak while working…. A young lady shows up around noon to check out the rooms they are renting next month as we try not to look too frazzled…. Now I am waiting for our guests to check in as I catch my breath and something to eat….
i call it swan syndrome - you have to look all calm and hospitable while underneath its a loony bin! plus I always worry they then think the whole place is falling apart and that you don't do maintenance - its not that we don't its just a lot of our kit gets a really hard time!

Yesterday repairman left without talking to me. Guest saw him leave so I tested the lock ....top lock works but bottom handle lock does not.
Top lock is my lock ,not for guest (keyed differently) bottom for guest........ guess I'll get a locksmith here next week, tried to do this Friday but all four could not come Friday afternoon This week it will be resolved ( I hope )

Wow Mary and Jcam! I thought it was bad over here with trying to juggle 32 balls. First we will do….No, no! We have to do…. Nope, have to do this first… Then the apt water heater starts spilling water as it snaps, "I Quit!" Luckily I went out to the apt within the twenty minutes it started. So my aunt and I are running around….. the one maintenance guy is here for the first time of the season. The other one arrives tomorrow to join him….. the plumbers are in the apt putting in the new water heater and they find a gas leak while working…. A young lady shows up around noon to check out the rooms they are renting next month as we try not to look too frazzled…. Now I am waiting for our guests to check in as I catch my breath and something to eat….
i call it swan syndrome - you have to look all calm and hospitable while underneath its a loony bin! plus I always worry they then think the whole place is falling apart and that you don't do maintenance - its not that we don't its just a lot of our kit gets a really hard time!
Jcam said:
And it always seems if one thing is going to break then 6 more are close behind. The power went out while we were gone on vacation. Returned home to find all sorts of things no longer worked. Only had 24 hours to fix everything before guests showed up.

Jcam said:
And it always seems if one thing is going to break then 6 more are close behind. The power went out while we were gone on vacation. Returned home to find all sorts of things no longer worked. Only had 24 hours to fix everything before guests showed up.
Yep - welcome home. Get rested and come home to chaos - Murphy strikes again.
(I am now able to go 5 minutes without coughing.)

Back