Nighttime Visitors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome back AR..when we had our WV B&B we were in the country and had all kinds of vermints. One year it was RIVER RATS...ok we disposed of them quickly...thankfully it was in winter and we had no guests. I've never seen rats that big, they took over the chipmonk holes and it was just disgusting. DH had to pioson them,tried the traps but did you know that rats are smarter than mice? They will actually go around a trap several times in several days before they attempt to get the food in it. Poison seems much better.
It wasn't because of trash or crap-we had a creek right accross the street and apparently they just ventured into our property. We never saw them after DH took care of them with poison...took about a couple weeks-that is worse than a possum or anything else.

Domsmom I was told to try this with animals in the attic - get a boombox or speakers and open the attic, place it inside and blast the music as loud as you can and the critter will find its way back out the way it came in..
Joey Bloggs said:
Domsmom I was told to try this with animals in the attic - get a boombox or speakers and open the attic, place it inside and blast the music as loud as you can and the critter will find its way back out the way it came in.
We tried this when we had squirrels in our wall. Didn't work. DH had to set traps outside where they were getting in.
Thanks, may try it... I set a trap, they took the bait and ran....haven't heard over the summer, but if they return maybe I'll try both the music and the trap.

we saw a rat so put out poisen trouble was it ate the poisen and then went under next doors floor (we are in a terrace) to die the smell was terrible and they had to pull up all the floor in their restaurant to get it out. Felt awful!

we saw a rat so put out poisen trouble was it ate the poisen and then went under next doors floor (we are in a terrace) to die the smell was terrible and they had to pull up all the floor in their restaurant to get it out. Felt awful!.
we saw a rat so put out poisen trouble was it ate the poisen and then went under next doors floor (we are in a terrace) to die the smell was terrible and they had to pull up all the floor in their restaurant to get it out. Felt awful!
We have a contract with a "Green" pest control service and besides using non-toxic (to humans and the environment) insecticide in and around the cabins, they set out rodent traps that look like large roach motels. Apparently, the boxes contain bait that when eaten by mouse/rat will do them.
That plus our new barn cat "Clementine" has kept a kibosh on the smaller critters.

Yup I feel you about cats, we had feral cats on the property--and they kept the little mice at bay, but damn these rats looked bigger than the cats. Yup with the poison you just don't know where they will die, and we had a few go in the basement, thankfully it didn't really stink up the place. DH just removed them cause I WAS NOT GOING THERE!

Our 3 Maltese ate mice poison on Saturday. Not good. They are all still alive but they could take a turn for the worst up to a week later. So here is hoping that they all pull through.

Our 3 Maltese ate mice poison on Saturday. Not good. They are all still alive but they could take a turn for the worst up to a week later. So here is hoping that they all pull through..
MTLLodge said:
Our 3 Maltese ate mice poison on Saturday. Not good. They are all still alive but they could take a turn for the worst up to a week later. So here is hoping that they all pull through.
Wow hope they come out of it okay. We are fighting a mouse that's in the basement. He is very talented in eating off the traps, and has not fallen for the roach motel trap. I need to get another cat or two. But my Borzoi hound is getting old and very spoiled and it may be difficult to get him to share his home - the other cat I lost at 18 used to really push him around...
riki

Our 3 Maltese ate mice poison on Saturday. Not good. They are all still alive but they could take a turn for the worst up to a week later. So here is hoping that they all pull through..
MTLLodge said:
Wow hope they come out of it okay. We are fighting a mouse that's in the basement. He is very talented in eating off the traps, and has not fallen for the roach motel trap. I need to get another cat or two. But my Borzoi hound is getting old and very spoiled and it may be difficult to get him to share his home - the other cat I lost at 18 used to really push him around...
riki
We had two, count 'em, two eight point bucks grazing in our yard last evening. They were beautiful. It was very funny to watch our little black cat, Clementine, stalk them as if she was going to take them down all by herself.

MTLLodge said:
riki
We had two, count 'em, two eight point bucks grazing in our yard last evening. They were beautiful. It was very funny to watch our little black cat, Clementine, stalk them as if she was going to take them down all by herself.
Proud Texan said:
two eight point bucks grazing in our yard last evening.
Running thru my mind right now is a song that is best sung in a twangy-yooper style voice: "It's the second week of deer camp and all the guys are here. We drink, and *something*, shoot the bull, but never shoot no deer".

My dog ran after a bear yesterday morning. Now she's limping. She didn't catch up to the bear, but she's getting arthritic and we've got her on pills and a diet to lose a few pounds. I'm just glad the bear runs faster than our dog!

Here is a smart true story.
Not far from us is a rustic deer camp.
It is a membership only place (hunt club), and there is an old mountain cabin with bunks and fireplace kitchen and huge acreage to hunt on.
In the evenings the hunters do just that, sit around and shoot the breeze etc. A bear found them there and they thought it humorous to toss out left over steak etc to the bear. This went on for a week or so.
Then they went out hunting one morning and came back and the bear had broken into the cabin and taken the entire fridge. They found it in the woods about 200 feet from the cabin, torn open and the food all gone through and devoured.
Edited to add: The largest bears in the USA (other than Kodiacs) are on the East Coast near the Great Dismal Swamp in VA and toward the Outer Banks in NC. Our bears are smaller here, the avg bear is 350-400 lbs. Some males can be bigger 500 lbs. So multiply your own weight by that and see how big these dudes are! Silly hunters.
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']What is the record weight of an American black bear?[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']
The world record weight for an American black bear is 880 pounds. This was the recorded weight of a 10.75 year-old male bear shot in North Carolina in November 1998.[/FONT]

My dog ran after a bear yesterday morning. Now she's limping. She didn't catch up to the bear, but she's getting arthritic and we've got her on pills and a diet to lose a few pounds. I'm just glad the bear runs faster than our dog!.
I'm sure your dog's quite proud of herself today, knowing for sure that she gets all the credit for saving you from that bear!
We live in the Arkansas woods and our six dogs enjoy chasing deer almost daily. They're a real pack, always dragging up a dead opossum, armadillo, raccoon, or squirrel.
Arkansas used to be called "The Bear State" before we killed them all for meat and soap, but they were re-introduced here a few years ago and are making it fine. Same with alligators. I heard one was spotted recently in a town just an hour south of us!
A few years ago a huge bull escaped from a nearby farm and showed up in our yard. Only time I've EVER seen our dogs run for the house instead of charging something!

MTLLodge said:
riki
Proud Texan said:
Running thru my mind right now is a song that is best sung in a twangy-yooper style voice: "It's the second week of deer camp and all the guys are here. We drink, and *something*, shoot the bull, but never shoot no deer".
"It's the second week of deer camp and all the guys are here. We drink, and *something*, shoot the bull, but never shoot no deer".
Ahhhhh, The Yoopers! They came up with some good ones!
Actually it is the U-P-ers but thought I would give it phonetically.

MTLLodge said:
riki
Proud Texan said:
"It's the second week of deer camp and all the guys are here. We drink, and *something*, shoot the bull, but never shoot no deer".
gillumhouse said:
I grew up in MI, so the Yoopers are infamous to me. Their lyrics are so funny, but you have to be from there to really get it!

MTLLodge said:
riki
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
I grew up in MI, so the Yoopers are infamous to me. Their lyrics are so funny, but you have to be from there to really get it!
but you have to be from there to really get it!
No, I don't think so. Anyone from a mostly rural hunting area or State gets the Yoopers just fine. My DH was from Illinois and HE got it. We have both been to the U P and I grew up in deer hunting country. Rather than having to having to be from MI to "get it" with the Yoopers. I would say CITY people might be the ones without a cliue. Anyone who knows a HUNTER gets them.

Back