Nighttime Visitors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
After a very busy Labor Day weekend, we got the morning off today and slept in. I looked out this morning and we apparently had a visit from feral hogs last night as a large section of the yard has been roto-tilled! Crap! It's getting a little late in the season to replant grass, so I'm going to have a nice brown spot in the yard until I can get some rye grass going in December.
We have been having a real problem with armadillos tearing up our flowerbeds. Our soil is red clay and sand, but the beds are moist organic soil, good for plants, but also good for digging for grubs.
We did finally find a product to keep the deer off our plants. It's called Deer Scram and it works like a charm!

My mom in FL is having armadillo visits too....here it's just the freakin' MOLES and gophers.

This morning we woke up to a bat hanging upside down in the middle of our living room! We got it out before any guest saw (I hope!). They can squeeze in to a small crack under a door. Ahhhh....the joys of country living!

Gee, and all I get are possums dying by my clotheslines and groundhogs under my house!

Count your blessings, Gillumhouse. We have a resident skunk. Believe it or not, this has been a sort of blessing. Lots of wildlife (coyotes, possum, raccoons) and stray dogs here, even in town. We woke up one night to hear an INCREDIBLY loud fight between something very scary sounding and our friend Jimmy Skunk. I was up (goodness, we all were) and I put on all the outside lights, but the scary sounding animal didn't scare. Jimmy Skunk took care of it for me (guess how we knew), and we haven't had a problem like that since. With the exception of one armadillo, we are given a wide berth.
BUT - Jimmy Skunk, whom we have espied on the occasional early morning, is aDORable. I mean, I'm not kidding. He's cute and cuddly, and toodles about his business. I find this quite worrisome. There have been some VERY stern discussions with the Innkeepers' children to STAY AWAY...but I sometimes worry our guests might not have quite as much sense. At least he's nocturnal and earning his keep, keeping the scari-er varmints away.

Gee, and all I get are possums dying by my clotheslines and groundhogs under my house!.
gillumhouse said:
Gee, and all I get are possums dying by my clotheslines and groundhogs under my house!
What in God's name are you using to wash your laundry? Must be terribly opossum toxic.
When I can spot them (usually at night with a hand-held spotlight) I introduce the armadillos to Jesus.

Count your blessings, Gillumhouse. We have a resident skunk. Believe it or not, this has been a sort of blessing. Lots of wildlife (coyotes, possum, raccoons) and stray dogs here, even in town. We woke up one night to hear an INCREDIBLY loud fight between something very scary sounding and our friend Jimmy Skunk. I was up (goodness, we all were) and I put on all the outside lights, but the scary sounding animal didn't scare. Jimmy Skunk took care of it for me (guess how we knew), and we haven't had a problem like that since. With the exception of one armadillo, we are given a wide berth.
BUT - Jimmy Skunk, whom we have espied on the occasional early morning, is aDORable. I mean, I'm not kidding. He's cute and cuddly, and toodles about his business. I find this quite worrisome. There have been some VERY stern discussions with the Innkeepers' children to STAY AWAY...but I sometimes worry our guests might not have quite as much sense. At least he's nocturnal and earning his keep, keeping the scari-er varmints away..
Don't you mean ODorable? Last year, we a skunk let loose under one of our cottages. That dissipated, but about a week later the distinct smell of death emanated from beneath our second cottage. Apparently, the little guy had dug up underneath the adjoining bathrooms and got trapped, panicked, sprayed and died. Fortunately, no one ever noticed as we ventilated the heck out of the crawl space and rooms between guests.

Gee, and all I get are possums dying by my clotheslines and groundhogs under my house!.
gillumhouse said:
What in God's name are you using to wash your laundry? Must be terribly opossum toxic.
When I can spot them (usually at night with a hand-held spotlight) I introduce the armadillos to Jesus.
One of the advantages of living outside city linits, lucky you. Only had one possum give up his all - and I had guests in-house includung kids that I managed to keep out of the yard until we could dispose of the carcass. In WV, you may be in city limits but the wildlife does not know or care.... With the rail-trail 50 feet from the house (max) and the river a block away, I don't have a chance....
Mr. Remington and Mr. Savage are both frowned upon in my location. Now if we could just get people to pen up their cats.......... We are overrun by the darn things!

gillumhouse said:
One of the advantages of living outside city linits, lucky you. Only had one possum give up his all - and I had guests in-house includung kids that I managed to keep out of the yard until we could dispose of the carcass. In WV, you may be in city limits but the wildlife does not know or care.... With the rail-trail 50 feet from the house (max) and the river a block away, I don't have a chance....
Mr. Remington and Mr. Savage are both frowned upon in my location. Now if we could just get people to pen up their cats.......... We are overrun by the darn things!
gillumhouse said:
You should invest in a HAVE-A-HART trap. You can catch the little buggers then relocate them humanely.
We have several different sizes. They are very popular with the Racoon set.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
You should invest in a HAVE-A-HART trap. You can catch the little buggers then relocate them humanely.
DH's Grandpa had a better method.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I use that one too.
devil_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
...we apparently had a visit from feral hogs last night...
Dang it, those weren't feral hogs. They were loyal Arkansas Razorbacks, sent by me to give you a big Arkansas howdy. Sorry they messed with your yard.
embaressed_smile.gif
They always get into the tequila when they go to Texas. Helps them live with the regular drubbings from those longhorns.

And I have had racoons in my attic....ugghhhh....don't these varmits know where they are suppose to live ?? LOL

Proud Texan said:
Dang it, those weren't feral hogs. They were loyal Arkansas Razorbacks, sent by me to give you a big Arkansas howdy. Sorry they messed with your yard.
embaressed_smile.gif
They always get into the tequila when they go to Texas. Helps them live with the regular drubbings from those longhorns..
Welcome back arkansayer!!

Domsmom I was told to try this with animals in the attic - get a boombox or speakers and open the attic, place it inside and blast the music as loud as you can and the critter will find its way back out the way it came in.

Domsmom I was told to try this with animals in the attic - get a boombox or speakers and open the attic, place it inside and blast the music as loud as you can and the critter will find its way back out the way it came in..
Joey Bloggs said:
Domsmom I was told to try this with animals in the attic - get a boombox or speakers and open the attic, place it inside and blast the music as loud as you can and the critter will find its way back out the way it came in.
We tried this when we had squirrels in our wall. Didn't work. DH had to set traps outside where they were getting in.

Proud Texan said:
embaressed_smile.gif
They always get into the tequila when they go to Texas. Helps them live with the regular drubbings from those longhorns..
Welcome back arkansayer!!
Thanks. Never been away, really. Lurking. Every day. 20 times/day. Jot down at least a couple of great tips every day. I'm not foolish enough to abondon the best B&B resource on the planet!

Our dog got sprayed by a skunk a few years ago right outside our door. The smell was so terrible the guests couldn't stay. Months later I swear I could still smell skunk when I opened a closet door.

Welcome back Arkie!.
Thanks, JB. I've been in regular e-mail contact with Camb and never been away, really. Lurking. Every day. 20 times/day. Jot down at least a couple of great tips every day. I'm not foolish enough to abondon the best B&B resource on the planet!

Back