Nit Picky Guest Comments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just for fun I thought I would stop hijacking Cambs thread and start a new one, as we all seem to bubble under the surface with our own recollections of those nit picky comments, many of them absurd, that we have had from guests, either in person, on comment cards or reviews.
Things that I find funny are two guests both seeing opposite views. Case in point - a winery that is award winning, top wines with 360 degree mountain view, the best chef around was said to me this weekend "Touristy, we walked out as fast as we could!" and then they went to a winery owned by a single man with cheezy wines complaining he can't get them into stores and he makes them in his garage" this they loved, they thought this was the best winery (I do not even list this place, fyi). They suggested to me at breakfast that "YOU SHOULD have some sort of winery map for you guests" - BAD BAD INNKEEPER WHAT WAS I THINKING? Me markting this place and surrounds 24 hours a day on facebook/google/website and blog... I walked over to the basket I showed them at check in with a hundred rack cards and said "You mean like this? Virginia Wine Trails Brochure."

"You should buy a new TV, they're not that expensive nowadays." Totally sarcastic. Hey pal, the TV works just fine, just because you don't like the way it looks doesn't mean it doesn't do it's job.
"Nice place but the lounge is a bit dated."
So, we did buy a new TV this year, totally revamped the living room and now it looks like a living room I might even like to hang out in.
But, let me tell you, in August, when I haven't had a day off in 3 months, stuff like like rankles. Mindless comments about something that makes not a wit of difference in a 'normal' person's life but the critics, oh they have to criticize.

"You should buy a new TV, they're not that expensive nowadays." Totally sarcastic. Hey pal, the TV works just fine, just because you don't like the way it looks doesn't mean it doesn't do it's job.
So, we did buy a new TV this year, totally revamped the living room and now it looks like a living room I might even like to hang out in.
But, let me tell you, in August, when I haven't had a day off in 3 months, stuff like like rankles. Mindless comments about something that makes not a wit of difference in a 'normal' person's life but the critics, oh they have to criticize..
You mean like the guests who told me at check out that they had no hot water their entire weekend. They tell me now? I was not about to let them off the hook. They acted so put out and dissappointed about it. But don't bother to mention it to us the 50 times you saw us all weekend.
I asked "Did you check it at the sink?" They stared back at me like deer in headlights, middle aged couple, surely they were not that daft, right?
I ask them to let me check it, and they acted put out and just wanted to leave this awful place...we THREE go up there, I first check it at the sink, as I know the hot water tank is VERY close to this bathroom. Sure enough piping hot water in 2 seconds. I go to the shower and 2 seconds later the room fills with steam.
They say in unison "Well we BOTH tried it and it never worked."
and btw our hot water is turn left, as it is supposed to be on the faucet, turn left and voila hot water. I hoped they felt embarrassed, really hoped.
See if there was a comment card they would have written a scathing comment about this and I would NEVER have been able to show them otherwise. Really irked me. But people are this way, cannot work anything out, cannot work out how to close the blinds, so pull the curtains over the whole windows. Can't work out some basic things, like hot water kettle. Even after I show them and now have a note there.
whattha.gif

Had a guest complain about CFL blubs saying that she was allergic to them.
And of course the "it's too cold" and "it's too warm" complaint all winter long. Odd how it's always women of a certain age.

I've found that the CFL's can emit a high pitched hum. I couldn't figure out what it was for a long time then it dawned on me it was the CFL so got rid of those and no more problems.

I've found that the CFL's can emit a high pitched hum. I couldn't figure out what it was for a long time then it dawned on me it was the CFL so got rid of those and no more problems..
Barry_Manilow said:
I've found that the CFL's can emit a high pitched hum. I couldn't figure out what it was for a long time then it dawned on me it was the CFL so got rid of those and no more problems.
yes they do and when they blow out the chemicals that leach out of them, save us all! And they do, we have had three do this, it was not pretty. I mean the smell of burning plastic was 10 times better.

Had a guest complain about CFL blubs saying that she was allergic to them.
And of course the "it's too cold" and "it's too warm" complaint all winter long. Odd how it's always women of a certain age..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And of course the "it's too cold" and "it's too warm" complaint all winter long. Odd how it's always women of a certain age.
Yeah, it's tough when the internal thermostat runs on overdrive 24x7 and you don't sleep all night because it's either too hot or too cold. I feel this is a great time for me because I don't censor the inner bitch any longer. Who cares. Not me.

Not a guest comment, but I once had something that mentioned a "PIN number" on my website. One guy wrote, taking me to task because the N in PIN stands for the word number, so I was guilty of the sin of using a superfluous word.
He kindly offered to proofread the rest of my website if I wanted to. I didn't take his offer.

I've found that the CFL's can emit a high pitched hum. I couldn't figure out what it was for a long time then it dawned on me it was the CFL so got rid of those and no more problems..
Barry_Manilow said:
yes they do and when they blow out the chemicals that leach out of them, save us all! And they do, we have had three do this, it was not pretty. I mean the smell of burning plastic was 10 times better.
We have had a few die, but never blow up. (What brand is blowing up, because that is dangerous, they have mercury in them.) The ones that die most often are the small chandelier type, which we use in the hallway. I hate the fact that I have to take them to the hardware store to dispose of them, because of the mercury.
I want to move over to LED, but they are still very expensive here.

Barry_Manilow said:
We are lucky LED ones are super cheap ie at the moment they are doing 342 on them at ASDA (a walmart subsidiary) for about $2.50. We have a few bedside lights that are touch lamps so we have to have led for them. I am also going to change the ones in room 9 for led cos the CFL ones I have in there are really slow to warm up as are the ones in 8. Trouble is they are an exposed chandelier so need to have nice bulbs.

I've had people complain that the TV in their room doesn't work. When I go up to check and press the ON switch on the wall next to the plug with a TV sticker on it they say "We didn't know we had to do that".
WHAT!!!! The TV is completely dark and you never though to check it is plugged in and switched on. How on earth did you manage to get all the way from your house to mine without getting yourself killed!!!!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

One man even said "Well it never said you had to do that in the instructions".
One lady later said she didn't think it necessary to have in the TV instructions that you have to turn the power on, I told her the above story and she laughed.

I've had people complain that the TV in their room doesn't work. When I go up to check and press the ON switch on the wall next to the plug with a TV sticker on it they say "We didn't know we had to do that".
WHAT!!!! The TV is completely dark and you never though to check it is plugged in and switched on. How on earth did you manage to get all the way from your house to mine without getting yourself killed!!!!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

One man even said "Well it never said you had to do that in the instructions".
One lady later said she didn't think it necessary to have in the TV instructions that you have to turn the power on, I told her the above story and she laughed..
See, I would never think I had to power on the TV with a switch on the wall. Even with a sticker. If I didn't have my glasses on I wouldn't even see the sticker, much less the picture of a TV!
I think we have a similar thing here with the heat and the A/C. For people who live in houses that need heat, they look for a thermostat. For people who live in houses that are central A/C and don't generally need heat, they think the thermostat is for cooling and have no idea it actually runs the heat. So they freeze. Same goes for people who live in apts where the heat is controlled by the building and not in the individual apt.
A few people have actually not seen the A/C unit. Or, didn't know what it was because they have central air.
So, part of the room tour is the heating and cooling. But, if you arrive late you don't get that tour. We try to have the heat up a little to take the edge off but we don't turn on the A/C, we open the windows. Which leads to a whole other problem!
And yet, these people all travel to hotels where no one shows you to your room and explains how things work and they don't die elsewhere. So we're always amazed when guests say they didn't see the A/C unit or the thermostat. These are NOT huge rooms!

Barry_Manilow said:
We have had a few die, but never blow up. (What brand is blowing up, because that is dangerous, they have mercury in them.) The ones that die most often are the small chandelier type, which we use in the hallway. I hate the fact that I have to take them to the hardware store to dispose of them, because of the mercury.
Not sure we buy so many, might be GE, but will have to wait til the next one goes... They are the bathroom vanity lights. You know the vanity lighting fixtures are so dang cheap and made in china these days, it is no wonder they can't handle anything! (Can you tell I spent half a day yesterday trying to find new vanity lights for one room remodel?)
Old things are not compatable with new things, so as old as we want to keep an historic home we are forced to go new.

Barry_Manilow said:
We are lucky LED ones are super cheap ie at the moment they are doing 342 on them at ASDA (a walmart subsidiary) for about $2.50. We have a few bedside lights that are touch lamps so we have to have led for them. I am also going to change the ones in room 9 for led cos the CFL ones I have in there are really slow to warm up as are the ones in 8. Trouble is they are an exposed chandelier so need to have nice bulbs.
We're looking at LED's as well. How are you finding the color? All the LED's I've seen around here are this harsh, white light that won't make anyone look good!

Barry_Manilow said:
We're looking at LED's as well. How are you finding the color? All the LED's I've seen around here are this harsh, white light that won't make anyone look good!
we have glass shades on which "warms" the light but the ones in a bulb styleusually arnt that bad.

Barry_Manilow said:
Not sure we buy so many, might be GE, but will have to wait til the next one goes... They are the bathroom vanity lights. You know the vanity lighting fixtures are so dang cheap and made in china these days, it is no wonder they can't handle anything! (Can you tell I spent half a day yesterday trying to find new vanity lights for one room remodel?)
Old things are not compatable with new things, so as old as we want to keep an historic home we are forced to go new.
We have the same problem ie 106 year old building but I find ebay excellent for reproduction stuff which is in keeping with the building. may be worth a look.

But, let me tell you, in August, when I haven't had a day off in 3 months, stuff like like rankles. Mindless comments about something that makes not a wit of difference in a 'normal' person's life but the critics, oh they have to criticize..
You mean like the guests who told me at check out that they had no hot water their entire weekend. They tell me now? I was not about to let them off the hook. They acted so put out and dissappointed about it. But don't bother to mention it to us the 50 times you saw us all weekend.
I asked "Did you check it at the sink?" They stared back at me like deer in headlights, middle aged couple, surely they were not that daft, right?
I ask them to let me check it, and they acted put out and just wanted to leave this awful place...we THREE go up there, I first check it at the sink, as I know the hot water tank is VERY close to this bathroom. Sure enough piping hot water in 2 seconds. I go to the shower and 2 seconds later the room fills with steam.
and btw our hot water is turn left, as it is supposed to be on the faucet, turn left and voila hot water. I hoped they felt embarrassed, really hoped.
See if there was a comment card they would have written a scathing comment about this and I would NEVER have been able to show them otherwise. Really irked me. But people are this way, cannot work anything out, cannot work out how to close the blinds, so pull the curtains over the whole windows. Can't work out some basic things, like hot water kettle. Even after I show them and now have a note there.
whattha.gif

I'm just working on opening a B&B but have rented the space as an apartment for 20+ years. I can relay a similar story in that I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Amazing. She finally said something and I showed her the reset button and also the one in the kitchen.

whattha.gif

I'm just working on opening a B&B but have rented the space as an apartment for 20+ years. I can relay a similar story in that I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Amazing. She finally said something and I showed her the reset button and also the one in the kitchen.
Colleen848 said:
...I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Yes, ground faults can be a problem because they knock out the whole circuit, not just the one outlet that has the reset button.
They may be one of those rare cases where it's worth putting up a little sign, if they trip often enough to be a real problem.

whattha.gif

Colleen848 said:
...I rented to a woman who went without any lights in the bathroom for an entire week because she had tripped the ground fault.
Yes, ground faults can be a problem because they knock out the whole circuit, not just the one outlet that has the reset button.
They may be one of those rare cases where it's worth putting up a little sign, if they trip often enough to be a real problem.
If they trip often enough, maybe it's time to split the circuit and call in an electrician.

whattha.gif

Colleen848 said:
If they trip often enough, maybe it's time to split the circuit and call in an electrician.
I am a card carrying journeyman electrician for over 20 yrs. now.
Circuits around water require a ground fault.
In this woman's case she tripped the one by the bathroom vanity which also had the vanity lights on it.
Just seems odd that no one looks at the outlet. It's clearly marked and does not at all resemble a regular duplex.
Besides, why would you wait so long to say something? You didn't want to bother me?
Guess I can be unapprochable. lol

Back