No, and no.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I just got this from someone wanting to rent all 5 of my units the night before a wedding. Yes, just 1 night for all 5.
Our son and his fiancé are getting married the 10th. Could we workout a late checkout, say 2:00 or so. Also my wife was wondering if she could come by and see the property and how to arrange that.
A 2 p.m. checkout would mean I couldn't have ANY ready to rent that night. Especially with a whole house rental, and the mess they can make, I know each unit will take hours to get ready. So they're asking to have the building 2 nights while only paying for 1.

And I don't give tours. If they want to see more than the website photos, they'll have to rent it. Then they can look all they want, between check in time and check out time. I don't have any common areas I could show. Just the 5 units, all with their own outside entry.
I hate to say no. I know our job is to find a way to say yes. But I'm not giving tours. I did tell them they could stay until 2 p.m. in 2 units, but the other 3 would have to be vacant by standard 11 a.m. check out.

I would say two nights or nothing! You know those other units really won't get out on time if you do let them stay. If you do accept a couple to stay late, a late check-out fee is very appropriate.

I'm afraid that not just our business, but the world today is all about ME, no one considers the other fellow has needs too. Guests don't consider the difference between five or ten rooms in a hundred room hotel and five rooms in a five room property. I hate to lose business, but sometimes easier to just apologize that I can't meet their needs.

I'd probably take them. I like the idea of late check out for only one or two rooms. Or, just say no to late check out.
It's easy to say that you can't give a house tour because the rooms are all rented, however, our website has very good, representational pictures, and you are welcome to drive by to see the grounds.
I'd also likely give them our whole house policy which includes one person paying for the whole house, not a group paying one at a time and rearranging payment and paying half.....

Two night minimum rental for 'whole house' with a slightly less charge for the second night - checkout at the regular time the next day. And, yes, your place would be party central especially if this is for use by wedding guests ... and I'd likely be camped out nearby. I won't re-hash what I experienced with whole house rentals for wedding guests. Some went horribly, some went great.

Nope. Minimum of 2 nights. And even then, the fact that they take all 5 rooms means you likely lose the day before or after to accommodate others.
So, 2 night for each. No tours.

Would your housekeeper be there at 11 to make sure 3 of the units have vacated? I foresee no one leaving at 11. And then I foresee they either jam the doors open or are calling you because their stuff is still inside at noon and they all just got back from brunch.
Tell Mom the rooms are rented and thus cannot be shown, even by appointment.
If they want the rooms just for Friday you'll lose Saturday if they don't leave on time. Weddings never leave on time.
If the wedding is at 4, they won't leave until 3:45.
Because of the general mess wedding parties leave behind - all of the wrappings the dresses and suits and dry cleaning came in, makeup and hair spray on everything, plus whatever night before party they had, your housekeeper is going to need every minute of time to clean. That's why most places, even hotels, require a minimum stay of 2 nights, even if they leave for good in the afternoon of night 2.

2-night minimum for entire house. No discount, or tack on an extra, refundable fee for trash removal and security deposit for groups.

Unless that's the 10th of January or on a Wednesday night in the middle of the week, I'd say no to a 1-night, 5-room rental -- and they want a late check-out to boot! Sounds like a huge headache. Whole house rentals seem to bring out the worst in my guests. Overflowing trash bins in every room, used glasses & dishes left all over the inn, furniture moved for photos (& scratching my hardwood floors), nail polish dropped on the carpet, you name it. Plus they'll probably have additional people meet them at your B&B for drinks. It's the mentality that they've rented you when they rent the whole house.
Lemme guess -- did they also ask for a discount for renting 5 rooms?
No tours. Any time someone has asked for a tour, they show up late, and in one case it was an hour late! My time is valuable. Look online if you want to see my B&B. You can always use the line, "My business insurance doesn't cover you unless you are a registered guest. It's a risk for both you and me."

Unless that's the 10th of January or on a Wednesday night in the middle of the week, I'd say no to a 1-night, 5-room rental -- and they want a late check-out to boot! Sounds like a huge headache. Whole house rentals seem to bring out the worst in my guests. Overflowing trash bins in every room, used glasses & dishes left all over the inn, furniture moved for photos (& scratching my hardwood floors), nail polish dropped on the carpet, you name it. Plus they'll probably have additional people meet them at your B&B for drinks. It's the mentality that they've rented you when they rent the whole house.
Lemme guess -- did they also ask for a discount for renting 5 rooms?
No tours. Any time someone has asked for a tour, they show up late, and in one case it was an hour late! My time is valuable. Look online if you want to see my B&B. You can always use the line, "My business insurance doesn't cover you unless you are a registered guest. It's a risk for both you and me.".
I usually just say the rooms are rented. I can't show them to you.

They didn't ask for a discount. That's the only thing they didn't ask for, and I was prepared for that!
I told them, nicely, no tour, and they can stay late in 2 of them, but must vacate the other 3 by 11 a.m. The housekeeper will be there at 11 sharp, and she's good at getting them out if they overstay.
But haven't heard back since last night when I told them all 5 can't have 2 p.m. checkout, and no tours. So maybe they won't come, or maybe someone else will book one or two of them before they get around to it!
Mort describes well the misery of a whole-house rental to a wedding group. I don't want that!
Because of the general mess wedding parties leave behind - all of the wrappings the dresses and suits and dry cleaning came in, makeup and hair spray on everything, plus whatever night before party they had, your housekeeper is going to need every minute of time to clean.

They didn't ask for a discount. That's the only thing they didn't ask for, and I was prepared for that!
I told them, nicely, no tour, and they can stay late in 2 of them, but must vacate the other 3 by 11 a.m. The housekeeper will be there at 11 sharp, and she's good at getting them out if they overstay.
But haven't heard back since last night when I told them all 5 can't have 2 p.m. checkout, and no tours. So maybe they won't come, or maybe someone else will book one or two of them before they get around to it!
Mort describes well the misery of a whole-house rental to a wedding group. I don't want that!
Because of the general mess wedding parties leave behind - all of the wrappings the dresses and suits and dry cleaning came in, makeup and hair spray on everything, plus whatever night before party they had, your housekeeper is going to need every minute of time to clean..
Mort knows her stuff. BTDT, no need to do it again.

"Plus they'll probably have additional people meet them at your B&B for drinks." Yes! taking every room - your paying guests will bring in guests. And NO ONE is responsible for them. As in, 'who was that guy?' I had a friend of a friend of a guest get sick in many places (yes, drunk sick) it was horrific.

Turning this around ... if anyone rents out all rooms to one group, you must have ONE person be the contact, the responsible party for the entire group.

Back