No battle plan survives contact with the enemy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
That's a wise quote from Helmuth von Moltke the Elder.
So my long-in-development guesthouse is now open. In fact, there's a guest down there right now, no doubt putting all the freebies into his luggage and using a different glass for each sip of wine.
So my concept was that all reservations would be made online. I don't even answer the guesthouse phone. They all go to voicemail. So far 100% of my contacts with potential guests have been on the phone.
So my concept was a two night minimum. So far I've caved in on that twice. No doubt a third cave in will be before the cock crows tomorrow morning (Someone may need to explain that reference to Eric A. Blair :) ). Tonight's guest is a one-nighter, and so is tomorrow night's!
But the credit cards are good, and that's what counts in the end.

Isn't it a great feeling, though? Just tell yourself you are "tweaking" your requirements for the market you have.
And Congratulations!!!!

Why caving? After 3 years planning and building, I'd dying to get some guests in there and get this thing up and running. If it's one night or no nights, I'll take the one.
I'm sure once business picks up I'll stick to the 2 night minimum, but for now I just need heads in beds to get some experience in flipping the apartments.

Thanks for all the good wishes. It will be interesting to move from building and furnishing to marketing and management. We spent 10 minutes last night deciding if the bathroom doors should be open or closed when the guests first enter. Decided on closed, so they get the fun of finding out what's behind that closed door!

Congratulations! At bocce tonight I got the question that has dumbfounded people for years - Do you stay busy? And i always answer yes. I told the man tonight, I do not WANT to be too busy to play bocce so I choose when I take guests. They STILL cannot believe people come here to stay.

Why caving? After 3 years planning and building, I'd dying to get some guests in there and get this thing up and running. If it's one night or no nights, I'll take the one.
I'm sure once business picks up I'll stick to the 2 night minimum, but for now I just need heads in beds to get some experience in flipping the apartments..
:)

The best laid plans...
We have a bunch of one nighters over memorial weekend, and a few two nighters. Not a one is on Friday night. You gotta do what you gotta do, if we insisted on two nights on weekends (other than peak weekends) we would go broke.
I remember years ago before the bust where innkeepers on here would talk about never ever having less than 2 nights year round, and I would gulp and think of course "location location"...but now they are having a hard time sticking to that just on the weekends. Gotta roll with the punches!
CONGRATULATIONS!
regular_smile.gif

Bathroom doors closed "Where is the bathroom?" they ask the second they get in the room. But they are traveling so I may ask that, even know I could prob figure out where it is.

The best laid plans...
We have a bunch of one nighters over memorial weekend, and a few two nighters. Not a one is on Friday night. You gotta do what you gotta do, if we insisted on two nights on weekends (other than peak weekends) we would go broke.
I remember years ago before the bust where innkeepers on here would talk about never ever having less than 2 nights year round, and I would gulp and think of course "location location"...but now they are having a hard time sticking to that just on the weekends. Gotta roll with the punches!
CONGRATULATIONS!
regular_smile.gif

Bathroom doors closed "Where is the bathroom?" they ask the second they get in the room. But they are traveling so I may ask that, even know I could prob figure out where it is..
Joey Bloggs said:
Bathroom doors closed "Where is the bathroom?" they ask the second they get in the room. But they are traveling so I may ask that, even know I could prob figure out where it is.
It's the only door in the apartment and you see it immediately as you open the front door, so I think they'll find it fast, especially since they're in "hurry mode" :)
Guest #1 is now gone and #2 comes in this afternoon. Gotta go flip!

The best laid plans...
CONGRATULATIONS!
regular_smile.gif

Bathroom doors closed "Where is the bathroom?" they ask the second they get in the room. But they are traveling so I may ask that, even know I could prob figure out where it is..
Joey Bloggs said:
It's the only door in the apartment and you see it immediately as you open the front door, so I think they'll find it fast, especially since they're in "hurry mode" :)
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Have fun!

The best laid plans...
CONGRATULATIONS!
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Ha ha...now you know what it's really like to be an innkeeper :) 2 days are great, but if you need the cash flow, one is just fine.

Whooo Hooo! Good to have policies and know you can bend if you want!
I only do 2 night minimums on occasions such as special weekends - events etc. that seem to book up in neighboring big city and overflow here. Or sticker shock in big city which I take advantage of! The other is if I am doing a special, like my 15th anniversary special going on now.
Wishing you the best Arks!

Arkansawyer said:
...before the cock crows tomorrow morning ....
Congrats....
You don't want to know what I'm imagining....
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Congrats....
You don't want to know what I'm imagining...
I haven't done that ROTFL laugh thing in years! Thanks! I needed a good laugh after a busy day.
Tonight I have guests from Maryland, passing through here en route to see Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (built by the Walmart heiress). Somehow I doubt all my guests will be as nice and classy as this couple, but so far, so good!

Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas.

Arkansawyer said:
Congrats....
You don't want to know what I'm imagining....
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Congrats....
I haven't done that ROTFL laugh thing in years! Thanks! I needed a good laugh after a busy day.
Tonight I have guests from Maryland, passing through here en route to see Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (built by the Walmart heiress). Somehow I doubt all my guests will be as nice and classy as this couple, but so far, so good!
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Congrats....
Want to really have a laugh? See this (but be warned it is definitely NOT safe for work.)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=48602e7b49

Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas..
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas.
The most famous is Throncrown Chapel just outside Eureka Springs (a few hours from us). It won about every architectural award in the book when it was built about 1980.
There's a similar one, which we think of with the phrase "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" in a botanic garden at Hot Springs, also a few hours from us. It's almost as nice, but I'm sure Thorncrown is the one you're thinking of. It's world famous.
duskshot_filtered2_fs.jpg

Arks where is that chapel in the woods, anywhere near you? I saw a photo this morning. It said Arkansas..
Joey Bloggs said:
The most famous is Throncrown Chapel just outside Eureka Springs (a few hours from us). It won about every architectural award in the book when it was built about 1980.
There's a similar one, which we think of with the phrase "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" in a botanic garden at Hot Springs, also a few hours from us. It's almost as nice, but I'm sure Thorncrown is the one you're thinking of. It's world famous.

Two of them, wow. Thanks.

Joey Bloggs said:

Wow! Amazing!

Back