No car?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The checkout occurred at the correct time but they left with the keys. Everything is stacked in the entryway and the rooms are being deadbolted after cleaning to avoid the 'accidental' use of the bathrooms when they return. Accommodating guests is not a big issue but it is polite to ask in advance of arrival if there are facilities for luggage storage.
A reason we are not really fond of multiple room family stays. They ooze out the door one at a time and you find yourself with one guest left who doesn't know how to contact the others and then he oozes out the door when your back is turned..
Now they are oozing back in. "Where's the bathroom?" being the first question. The TV is on full volume in the guest area and tea is being made. Right at home.
I'm still confused on the 3pm "car"
What does that mean?
They rented a limo to pick them up or a rental car being dropped off at your place?
I have no idea where you are located time zone wise and how many other guests could be checking in or be impacted by their hanging out now, but was any of this ok'ed with you in advance aside from the luggage storage, or was that even "asked" for?
It kind stands to reason that they are linked to their luggage, but the middle of the day is tough for guests in "limbo" like this to be in your way as you try to get stuff done.
That's all I got this morning over breakfast- the car is coming at 3 PM. All of the luggage is out of the way of anyone checking in today but none of this was requested in advance or really even requested. "Where should we leave our luggage until the car comes?" is an assumption there is a place for this and that it is ok for this to happen. They are still oozing back in but 2 sets of keys have been recovered. Everyone is making a pit stop and then oozing back out again when I go into the kitchen after directing them to the half bathroom in the hallway. It remains to be seen if they will all show up here when the car does or if the car will be stopping at various places around town to pick them up. The concern is only with getting the keys back so they can be given to the next guest. They made reference to some event happening on the lake so the others may have walked there to see that and the car will get them there. The logistics of the car driver getting into the inn to get the bags was never discussed.
Hardly anything good ever comes from having groups at your inn. Lesson to aspirings - no discounts for groups unless you really, really need the business.
muirford said:
Hardly anything good ever comes from having groups at your inn. Lesson to aspirings - no discounts for groups unless you really, really need the business.
No discount here so that is one thing to be grateful about. But no tips for the housekeeper either even though this is so much more work for her.
MooseTrax said:
No discount here so that is one thing to be grateful about. But no tips for the housekeeper either even though this is so much more work for her.
You're a smart man. It is too bad about the tips but I'm betting you pay your housekeeper more than minimum wage. If you do, then tips are niceties, not necessaries for living. My newest housekeeper just gave her two weeks notice on one of her other jobs (she has been working three) as a waitress at IHOP. She was on third shift, making less than $3 an hour wages and tips of maybe $40 for an eight-hour shift. And dealing with the drunks and crazies out in the middle of the night. She gets a much better deal here, even before tips.
She just got a raise after 6 weeks on the job. And it's quite a bit more than minimum.
The continuing saga- limo arrived at quarter after, guests arrived back sometime after that. The limos are attracting quite a lot of attention around town as it is easy to see them idling in the parking lot. My new note to self is to Google guests who seem to operate out of the usual pattern. Now I have a better idea of why limos were not an oddity for this group. I should pay more attention to national politics is all I'm going to say about that. No, I'm going to say one more thing- of all groups this one should have known to tip.
Luckily we have a fairly large reception hall, so the luggage could hang out there until they were picked up by the "car". And we have a 1/2 bath on the first floor. Other than asking for the keys back at breakfast, I have no clue how to get them from them right away so they couldn't get back in a cleaned room.
I am not a fan of groups. They just make themselves too much at home and take over the place. Usually, they don't care about the other guests. After all, it's their home away from home, right?
They always ask for discounts though. How do y'all handle it? The groups think that they are doing you a favor by booking most of or all the rooms. They are definitely more work!

The checkout occurred at the correct time but they left with the keys. Everything is stacked in the entryway and the rooms are being deadbolted after cleaning to avoid the 'accidental' use of the bathrooms when they return. Accommodating guests is not a big issue but it is polite to ask in advance of arrival if there are facilities for luggage storage.
A reason we are not really fond of multiple room family stays. They ooze out the door one at a time and you find yourself with one guest left who doesn't know how to contact the others and then he oozes out the door when your back is turned..
Now they are oozing back in. "Where's the bathroom?" being the first question. The TV is on full volume in the guest area and tea is being made. Right at home.
What does that mean?
They rented a limo to pick them up or a rental car being dropped off at your place?
I have no idea where you are located time zone wise and how many other guests could be checking in or be impacted by their hanging out now, but was any of this ok'ed with you in advance aside from the luggage storage, or was that even "asked" for?
It kind stands to reason that they are linked to their luggage, but the middle of the day is tough for guests in "limbo" like this to be in your way as you try to get stuff done.
That's all I got this morning over breakfast- the car is coming at 3 PM. All of the luggage is out of the way of anyone checking in today but none of this was requested in advance or really even requested. "Where should we leave our luggage until the car comes?" is an assumption there is a place for this and that it is ok for this to happen. They are still oozing back in but 2 sets of keys have been recovered. Everyone is making a pit stop and then oozing back out again when I go into the kitchen after directing them to the half bathroom in the hallway. It remains to be seen if they will all show up here when the car does or if the car will be stopping at various places around town to pick them up. The concern is only with getting the keys back so they can be given to the next guest. They made reference to some event happening on the lake so the others may have walked there to see that and the car will get them there. The logistics of the car driver getting into the inn to get the bags was never discussed.
muirford said:
How about taking a page from the restaurants' book and have a mandatory 15 or 20% tip for groups over a certain size?
SweetiePie said:
How about taking a page from the restaurants' book and have a mandatory 15 or 20% tip for groups over a certain size?
I did that early on - when I first realized how much work the groups generated - but stopped because then you are in the tricky range of having to report the tips income for your employee. We didn't want to be in that situation - if you never handle the tips, it is up to your employee to self-report them as income for their taxes.
Is that true for independent contractors as well?
SweetiePie said:
Is that true for independent contractors as well?
If you collect the tips then you should report them on the 1099 you give them as income. That is the problem; tips like that almost always go on the credit card. You've got to collect them then pay them out to the employee or contractor.

What does that mean?
muirford said:
MooseTrax said:
You're a smart man. It is too bad about the tips but I'm betting you pay your housekeeper more than minimum wage. If you do, then tips are niceties, not necessaries for living. My newest housekeeper just gave her two weeks notice on one of her other jobs (she has been working three) as a waitress at IHOP. She was on third shift, making less than $3 an hour wages and tips of maybe $40 for an eight-hour shift. And dealing with the drunks and crazies out in the middle of the night. She gets a much better deal here, even before tips.
She just got a raise after 6 weeks on the job. And it's quite a bit more than minimum.
The continuing saga- limo arrived at quarter after, guests arrived back sometime after that. The limos are attracting quite a lot of attention around town as it is easy to see them idling in the parking lot. My new note to self is to Google guests who seem to operate out of the usual pattern. Now I have a better idea of why limos were not an oddity for this group. I should pay more attention to national politics is all I'm going to say about that. No, I'm going to say one more thing- of all groups this one should have known to tip.
Luckily we have a fairly large reception hall, so the luggage could hang out there until they were picked up by the "car". And we have a 1/2 bath on the first floor. Other than asking for the keys back at breakfast, I have no clue how to get them from them right away so they couldn't get back in a cleaned room.
I am not a fan of groups. They just make themselves too much at home and take over the place. Usually, they don't care about the other guests. After all, it's their home away from home, right?
They always ask for discounts though. How do y'all handle it? The groups think that they are doing you a favor by booking most of or all the rooms. They are definitely more work!
Samster said:
I just say no. Unless it is off-season or a quiet time when I don't think I'll fill up the rooms.
I had one woman call a few years ago to book one room for a Saturday in October (our second busiest month of the year). I explained our two-night minimum. She said 'How about if we book all your rooms for Saturday night?' Sorry, lady, that would be six times as bad. You really can't explain it to some people, because the hotels do it in a heartbeat.

What does that mean?
muirford said:
my goodness that is so very true. We used to have family reunions here, the place really lends itself to such events. But groups who hang out all day and do nothing but barbque and eat all day and night are making so much more work and garbage, we started charging fees on top of the cottage rental and we implemented a 5 night minimum, when the guests all thought that we should enjoy the fact that all the cottages are rented and that we should give them a discount. "A discount? we would be full even if you weren' here, sir"

What does that mean?
muirford said:
my goodness that is so very true. We used to have family reunions here, the place really lends itself to such events. But groups who hang out all day and do nothing but barbque and eat all day and night are making so much more work and garbage, we started charging fees on top of the cottage rental and we implemented a 5 night minimum, when the guests all thought that we should enjoy the fact that all the cottages are rented and that we should give them a discount. "A discount? we would be full even if you weren' here, sir"
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
muirford said:
I do rent to groups and also charge extra for use of the grounds for events. This is extra liability for me and I not only charge but collect a damage deposit and make them sign a contract which includes how much cleaning THEY must do.
Oh, get this, I get a call TODAY for a family reunion for July 2011...before anything, she asked me my room rates of course I told her my reg. room rates for NOW. Then she asks if the pool is indoors or out. heated or not...this is when I ask when she is interested in booking...2 things lady - In the south - July is HOT, no 'heating' necessary, 2nd I can guarantee my rates will not be the same in 2011 as they are today!! Her reply "oh you plan to raise your rates?" Yes she is TSTSH - and that goes for her family too!

When people ask if they can leave their luggage and pick it up later we have them bring it down to the living room and put it in the back of the room behind a couple of winged chairs. It is out of sight and out of the way.

And...if you don't want guests to leave luggage then tell them sure they can leave it right there in the living room. If they don't like it, feel it is not secure then they won't leave it will they.
tounge_smile.gif

What does that mean?
muirford said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
muirford said:
I do rent to groups and also charge extra for use of the grounds for events. This is extra liability for me and I not only charge but collect a damage deposit and make them sign a contract which includes how much cleaning THEY must do.
Oh, get this, I get a call TODAY for a family reunion for July 2011...before anything, she asked me my room rates of course I told her my reg. room rates for NOW. Then she asks if the pool is indoors or out. heated or not...this is when I ask when she is interested in booking...2 things lady - In the south - July is HOT, no 'heating' necessary, 2nd I can guarantee my rates will not be the same in 2011 as they are today!! Her reply "oh you plan to raise your rates?" Yes she is TSTSH - and that goes for her family too!
I'm so in the minority here. I like full-house group bookings. I offer a discount, with some restrictions: they have to book all the rooms, minimum 2-night stay, no discounts on long weekends or holidays, tighter cancellation policy.
With groups, even if they stay on the property, they're still not underfoot or in my way. They're out on our trails, or hanging out in the common areas away from my space. But they often head out for the day to do stuff just like other guests. We charge a fee if they want to bbq, or they can book dinner here instead. If they laugh and talk a little louder than non-groups, they aren't bothering anyone other than themselves.
They also book well in advance, which is counter to the trend of last-minute bookings we've been seeing lately. And VERY often, groups lead to repeat business: either the group books again for next year; or individuals within the group come back as a couple throughout the year.
I think the key is they book all the rooms. If I had to worry about how they were impacting other guests, I would not be happy.

What does that mean?
muirford said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
muirford said:
I'm so in the minority here. I like full-house group bookings. I offer a discount, with some restrictions: they have to book all the rooms, minimum 2-night stay, no discounts on long weekends or holidays, tighter cancellation policy.
With groups, even if they stay on the property, they're still not underfoot or in my way. They're out on our trails, or hanging out in the common areas away from my space. But they often head out for the day to do stuff just like other guests. We charge a fee if they want to bbq, or they can book dinner here instead. If they laugh and talk a little louder than non-groups, they aren't bothering anyone other than themselves.
They also book well in advance, which is counter to the trend of last-minute bookings we've been seeing lately. And VERY often, groups lead to repeat business: either the group books again for next year; or individuals within the group come back as a couple throughout the year.
I think the key is they book all the rooms. If I had to worry about how they were impacting other guests, I would not be happy.
I think the key is also your setting, with trails and a bbq etc. We have a room with a private entrance in our 2nd house and it's a good choice for people to hang out on the patio back there but we are in an urban setting. I think that makes a difference.

What does that mean?
muirford said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
muirford said:
happyjacks said:
I have a situation coming up where a family kept adding another room over time. It was not set up as a whole house rental (which I'm not fond of and find that there is always more staining, etc when it's a group). First they booked 1 room, then added another later on. Then 1 room was booked normally with other travelers. Still no problem, since the "family" booked 1 room in the main house and our cottage (with children). When we were on vacation, our innsitter took a booking for the "family" in the last room.
Now I have two problems...if they cancel and give me 10 days notice as per our cancellation policy, I'm out 3 rooms for 2 nights. The other problem is I have 1 room that will be the "outsiders". Not a good situation, but I can't see how this situation could have been prevented.
What I will do is since the "family" will have our separate cottage, I'll inform them that their socializing will need to be done over there. It's just not fair to the "outsiders"
Does my plan sound reasonable? Or do you think that will be punishing the family members who have paid for the use of our common areas?

What does that mean?
muirford said:
MooseTrax said:
We don't give discounts ESPECIALLY for people taking the whole B & B because as was mentioned earlier they make themselves TOO at home and are actually more high maintenance than other guests. Our only exception are "frequent flyers" or one group that is back every other year for the same weekend, take the entire B & B. We have become friends and we party with them.

That is the issue with whole house, when they teeter down to just "almost whole house" it really sucks for the other rooms who end up booking the straggling rooms. I don't like it at all. Wholehouse s/b 30 day cancellation period, but many of us are worried we won't get them, so offer a discount or lessor than s/b cancellation policy. I have been stuck every single time I have had a whole house booking, without exception, I lose out. Yet when they call I see dollar signs and take them.

That is the issue with whole house, when they teeter down to just "almost whole house" it really sucks for the other rooms who end up booking the straggling rooms. I don't like it at all. Wholehouse s/b 30 day cancellation period, but many of us are worried we won't get them, so offer a discount or lessor than s/b cancellation policy. I have been stuck every single time I have had a whole house booking, without exception, I lose out. Yet when they call I see dollar signs and take them..
Problems we have seen are like those mentioned- they book in one room at a time. To avoid the 30 day cancellation? To avoid the required deposit for groups? Or just because each person books their own room and takes their time doing it? We had one group book and we did a discount because of the time of year. They subsequently started backing out of the rooms. IF they call this year, there will be a sliding scale discount based on the number of rooms they have when they arrive. More rooms, better discount. And the discounting won't start until they have 3 rooms booked.

That is the issue with whole house, when they teeter down to just "almost whole house" it really sucks for the other rooms who end up booking the straggling rooms. I don't like it at all. Wholehouse s/b 30 day cancellation period, but many of us are worried we won't get them, so offer a discount or lessor than s/b cancellation policy. I have been stuck every single time I have had a whole house booking, without exception, I lose out. Yet when they call I see dollar signs and take them..
Problems we have seen are like those mentioned- they book in one room at a time. To avoid the 30 day cancellation? To avoid the required deposit for groups? Or just because each person books their own room and takes their time doing it? We had one group book and we did a discount because of the time of year. They subsequently started backing out of the rooms. IF they call this year, there will be a sliding scale discount based on the number of rooms they have when they arrive. More rooms, better discount. And the discounting won't start until they have 3 rooms booked.
MooseTrax said:
GOOD THINKING!
We all know of which we speak, friggin' graduations and weddings. I know how hard it is to nail things down, I really do, but that is not my worry. I am just here to provide the lodging.

That has never been my experience with groups. They are generally lower-maintenance than a houseful of unconnected people.
They've usually been planning this in advance and know what they're doing and don't need much help from me. There's also usually an organizer among the group (generally the one who does the reservation) who acts as spokesperson. I ask that person what time do they want breakfast; they sort it out with everyone and report back to me.
Groups have never caused more breakage/stainage than non-groups. They're no more likely to cross boundaries than non-groups. Our indoor common area is not large, but it's also separate from the main house and guest rooms, so I don't get people spilling over into my space. The outdoor seating areas are large and many, so they have room to spread out if they're hanging around.
We have two separate groups of women who come every year for girlfriends getaway weekends and we absolutely love them. Even hubs (poor guy is the ony rooster during these hen parties!) looks forward to their weekends. We do dinners for them a well, so it's a lot of work, but great fun for us too. We always feel re-energized afterwards.

MooseTrax said:
Our group discount is only for taking the full house. If they cancel a room, goodbye discount. The rest of the rooms are paying full price and they won't have the property to themselves.

That has never been my experience with groups. They are generally lower-maintenance than a houseful of unconnected people.
They've usually been planning this in advance and know what they're doing and don't need much help from me. There's also usually an organizer among the group (generally the one who does the reservation) who acts as spokesperson. I ask that person what time do they want breakfast; they sort it out with everyone and report back to me.
Groups have never caused more breakage/stainage than non-groups. They're no more likely to cross boundaries than non-groups. Our indoor common area is not large, but it's also separate from the main house and guest rooms, so I don't get people spilling over into my space. The outdoor seating areas are large and many, so they have room to spread out if they're hanging around.
We have two separate groups of women who come every year for girlfriends getaway weekends and we absolutely love them. Even hubs (poor guy is the ony rooster during these hen parties!) looks forward to their weekends. We do dinners for them a well, so it's a lot of work, but great fun for us too. We always feel re-energized afterwards..
We're moving across the border. I want ALL or almost all Canadian guests. They are generally the easiest guests we get here.

We have two separate groups of women who come every year for girlfriends getaway weekends and we absolutely love them. Even hubs (poor guy is the ony rooster during these hen parties!) looks forward to their weekends. We do dinners for them a well, so it's a lot of work, but great fun for us too. We always feel re-energized afterwards..
We're moving across the border. I want ALL or almost all Canadian guests. They are generally the easiest guests we get here.
Haha! Well thank you on behalf of my fellow Canucks!
I don't get many American guests (and never as a group) but the few who have stayed here have all been lovely. In fact, our current guest book was a thankyou gift mailed to us from some very nice guests from Illinois. We've had a few folks from Ohio, Michigan and New York state, but that's it from south of the border.

happyjacks,
Both our approach and experiences with whole house groups practically mirror yours item for item.
In fact, two weekends from now the next door neighbor's family reunion is being held and we've had those four nights set aside for just eight of the adults, two to a room only for several months. All the kids are "camping" on the neighbor's 25 acres so they can play and such until all hours without disturbing anybody.
Often, our groups are here to go attend some kind of retreat, workshop, seminars, etc. elsewhere so they all eat together and are usually gone most of the day together.
About the only cases we've had where we regretted the whole house discounts were a few families over the years that had some internal dysfunction issues that they couldn't and wouldn't suppress during their stays.
Considering we both come from families who put the capital "D" in dysfunction, these folks made our hosting of our entire families once every few years a walk in the park. LOL

I have a whole house booked to come in 2 weeks from now. Today I found out the 3-day event is a 4-day this year. So I called my contact person (who without me even asking sent a check for almost half) and told him it was a 4-day event and if they wanted to come in a day early, their 4th night would be at our happy birthday price of $13 per room. He told me yes and then said one of the group just had a birthday - he is now 88 and they are coming on motorcycles for a motorcycle event!

Back